ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-05-13, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,337 Times in 6,035 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

Get out of bed in the morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
BodhiCat (10-09-13)
Old 10-05-13, 10:01 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I would have to say it was procrastination and forgetting to check the car engine's oil levels. Burned up one car because of it, almost burned up another.

I am older now and much more frank about my "mistakes." I never tell anyone of my mistakes. It would create an awful situation.
Old 10-05-13, 10:08 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

Been there, done that.

Wow, I have done almost all of the things other have posted.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-13, 10:14 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post
On the 2nd of every month, I suddenly realize, "Oh, crap, my rent was due yesterday!" So I always just add the extra $15 late fee onto the check and turn it in on the 2nd.

This month, on the 12th, I came home and found a nasty letter taped to my door threatening legal action because my rent wasn't paid. I could have swore I paid it, but sure enough, I check my purse, and there's a check for my rent and one-day late fee. Sigh... I should I known it was weird that I still had some money left this close to payday, but I thought it was because things were getting better...
Cylilya:

Currently, my rent is due on the 15th, there is no way, I can pay it exactly on that day, so I pay it between the 1st and the 5th. I worry so much about whether I paid it, luckily the office is on the premises and they give receipts, so I can always check my receipts. Plus, of course, I try to make a list and check it off and mark my calendar to reassure me.
Old 10-05-13, 10:22 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post
I have a locksmith's phone number loaded into my cell phone contacts. I used to have his business card on my dashboard (so you could see it from the outside of the car), but it got lost. I've been meaning to tape the number onto the inside of the windshield facing out, but I keep forgetting.

Just in the past two weeks:

I'm always so tired when I come home from a major trip to the grocery store, so I'm inclined to put the groceries on the living room floor for a few minutes, then put them away after a short break. I've repeatedly left perishable foods out for hours because of this. Last time, I bought a half pork loin, and mentally chanted "Put the pork loin away, put the pork loin away" my whole trip home. But I imagined putting the pork loin away so much that I forgot I hadn't done it. A whole half pork loin... ruined.

Needed to fill a gallon jug with tap water. Kitchen sink is overflowing with dirty dishes, so I go to the bathroom sink. The jug is too tall for the sink, so not all of the water will go in and it's filling slowly. I decided to prop it up and go do something else while I wait. I forgot about it. I walk toward that part of the house for a different reason a little while later, and my floor has a huge puddle! The jug is full and water is splashing out of it.

My apartment complex has a pay-to-use laundromat instead of a washer and dryer for each unit. My purse was getting my way when I was loading my clothes into the dryer so I took it off and set it on a washing machine. I went home for about an hour while my clothes dried. When I came back to get my clothes, I noticed my purse still sitting there! I'm so luckily it wasn't stolen. If it had been stolen, I wouldn't have even known what happened....

I've done that too.
Cyllya -- after leaving or losing my purse a few times, I began to use a backpack before they became popular. I hardly take it off when I go out. If I go to a restaurant, I stick my bag between my feet, so I can always feel it and don't forget to put it back on. Nowadays, backpacks are much more attractive, so i don't look so odd.
Old 10-05-13, 10:25 PM
Forum Guru

I almost got locked out of my relative's apartment when I went to do my laundry. All I had on was a short robe. I had to wait for someone else to use the laundry room so I could get the keys. This was in the winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
BodhiCat (10-09-13)
Old 10-06-13, 12:43 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,969 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I sat reading and posting on this discussion board all day.

No, ALL day. From when I got up in the morning, until 5:00 the next morning. I ate something (I forget what), and I took bathroom breaks, and that was it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-06-13)
Old 10-06-13, 12:45 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I sat reading and posting on this discussion board all day.

No, ALL day. From when I got up in the morning, until 5:00 the next morning. I ate something (I forget what), and I took bathroom breaks, and that was it.
And this is silly how?
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
BodhiCat (10-09-13)
Old 10-06-13, 02:59 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,969 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
And this is silly how?
I now see the error of my ways. It was not silly, for in your shining presence, o dearest BellyVitamins, the work I did not do became as a mere feather in the biscuit of time, yea, and the sleep I missed as a multi-laminated wrestplank in the clotted sludge of space.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-06-13)
Old 10-06-13, 03:01 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I now see the error of my ways. It was not silly, for in your shining presence, o dearest BellyVitamins, the work I did not do became as a mere feather in the biscuit of time, yea, and the sleep I missed as a multi-laminated wrestplank in the clotted sludge of space.
Yes, that is it. Glad you've fully "got it" now.

( )
Old 10-06-13, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2012 View Post
Cyllya -- after leaving or losing my purse a few times, I began to use a backpack before they became popular. I hardly take it off when I go out. If I go to a restaurant, I stick my bag between my feet, so I can always feel it and don't forget to put it back on. Nowadays, backpacks are much more attractive, so i don't look so odd.
It was a backpack-style purse in that story! But one of the straps was broken, so I was hanging it diagonal on the front of me. Normally fine, but it was annoying while doing the laundry....
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (10-07-13)
Old 10-07-13, 12:22 AM
Forum Guru

So sorry....what about a waist bag?
Old 10-08-13, 08:13 AM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future

Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God. I hate this. I hate the tidal nature of ADD, the ebb and flow of how bad or under control your behaviours are.

I'm a bit overloaded at the moment. Packing etc. to move house. Uni semester has just started again. A long weekend when my teenage son and his girlyfriend showed up for a few nights. Work is OK but not enough of it so financially a bit strained. Some a'hole did a hit & run on my car last week. You know the kind of perfect storm I'm talking about.

Last night the elastic snapped. After a few wines at home, packing boxes, I phoned the gorgeous new bloke / crush. And made a complete inebriated **** of myself. Most likely that's the last time I ever talk to this lovely gentle patient sweet man who I think is just lovely. Woke up this morning with the WTF's going on.

Long short. I've downloaded two apps that you set up when you're compus, to prohibit yourself from phone / texting select contacts in your phone. Also good for weepy break ups so you don't call your ex on Valentine's Day, etc.

Anyway. I am so relaxed tonight testing this app out. I cannot get into the particular contacts I've barred myself from. Bloody BRILLIANT!!

Off to my first ADD conference on the weekend, in Sydney. Age 51. Gutsy move if I do say so myself. But I have met a lovely buddy on this forum, in the last few days, and we're going to meet there and be brave and do it together as one!! Woo hoo!!

Love youse all.

ADHD explained. UNC Burnett Lectures
Dr Russell Barkley - 2012
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...ssell-barkley/

Dr Patricia Quinn - 2011 - ADD in girls and women.
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...atricia-quinn/

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MADD As A Hatte For This Useful Post:
BodhiCat (10-09-13), MX2012 (10-08-13)
Old 10-08-13, 11:57 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADD As A Hatte View Post
Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God Oh God. I hate this. I hate the tidal nature of ADD, the ebb and flow of how bad or under control your behaviours are.

I'm a bit overloaded at the moment. Packing etc. to move house. Uni semester has just started again. A long weekend when my teenage son and his girlyfriend showed up for a few nights. Work is OK but not enough of it so financially a bit strained. Some a'hole did a hit & run on my car last week. You know the kind of perfect storm I'm talking about.

Last night the elastic snapped. After a few wines at home, packing boxes, I phoned the gorgeous new bloke / crush. And made a complete inebriated **** of myself. Most likely that's the last time I ever talk to this lovely gentle patient sweet man who I think is just lovely. Woke up this morning with the WTF's going on.

Long short. I've downloaded two apps that you set up when you're compus, to prohibit yourself from phone / texting select contacts in your phone. Also good for weepy break ups so you don't call your ex on Valentine's Day, etc.

Anyway. I am so relaxed tonight testing this app out. I cannot get into the particular contacts I've barred myself from. Bloody BRILLIANT!!

Off to my first ADD conference on the weekend, in Sydney. Age 51. Gutsy move if I do say so myself. But I have met a lovely buddy on this forum, in the last few days, and we're going to meet there and be brave and do it together as one!! Woo hoo!!

Love youse all.
I will need to keep that app in mind!
Old 10-27-13, 11:39 PM

pocketsoul1127 is on a distinguished road

1. In high school, I parked at the mall and walked to school and then when I got back to my car, realized I had left the lights on all day. In spite of the beeping, because my car always beeped when the lights were on. I had to call my dad to come charge my battery. I did that two or three times.

2. In high school, I got bored one day and a friend asked me to come to the soccer try-outs with her. I had absolutely no gear and decided I would try out for goalie. Without even thinking about it, I blocked a full-court kick w/o shin guards and ended up hairline fracturing both of my shins. I couldn’t do any jumping or running for the rest of the school year!

3. I walked out/quit a few jobs as a teenager due to angry impulses.

4. I constantly forget where I park my car when I go shopping, whether it is a planned trip or an impulse trip. I have gotten to the point that I actually stop myself when I get out of my car and memorize the exact spot I parked. That only helps me remember where the car is about 1/5th of the time, though.

5. One time at an old job, I needed to get a folding ladder out for something (can’t remember what). No matter what I did, I absolutely could not get it unfolded. Then my manager came by and undid it for me. It made me feel incredibly stupid when I realized how much trouble I was having with such a simple process.

6. Make lists and lose them. Why do I keep making them? I know I’m going to lose them…but I guess I just like making lists. Apparently whether they are findable doesn’t matter…

7. In high school, I had just gotten home from school and backed into my parking spot at home. For some reason, the brakes weren’t working properly and I panicked. So instead of throwing the emergency brake on or turning the wheel, I jumped out of the car and let it roll down the hill where it crashed into our fence. It did a bit of fender damage and made my dad angry, since it was his car…

8. When I get ready to leave from an overnighter at my grandmothers, I always forget one or two items. I kept forgetting my cell phone charger so often that I just left one with her and kept another one for my house, just to make things easier.

9. I’ve shown up for work (at old jobs) three-four hours early (or late!) because I’d get confused about what shift I was working which days. Not having a consistent schedule at those jobs made things incredibly difficult for me, as that was before I was diagnosed. I’ve also shown up at jobs on days I wasn’t supposed to work, thinking I was, and not showing up on days I should because I would get confused.

10. In high school, I was clowning around and faking a kick at my sister. She thought it was real and tried to dodge it—only thing is, we were right beside the kerosene heater, so she turned and caught herself on the top of it. Still feel a bit guilty about causing that!