ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-05, 03:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

wheresmykeys is on a distinguished road
Do you feel different from the non-ADD?

Do you feel differnet from non-ADDers? Do you feel like you just think differently and aren't of the same kind? I feel completely outcasted by my friends just because I think that am processing everything differently. But then at other times I feel like theres no way I am ADD, that I am the same as them. Is this a normal feeling..and normal confusion? Do you all think that you are just not the same as your non-ADD friends??
Old 01-25-05, 07:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

streetsk8er794 is on a distinguished road
i feel different everyday man. sometimes I feel like the life of my group of friends, other times i just suck at conversing and feel like the outcast. so, to answer ur question, YES!
Old 01-25-05, 08:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
for me in a way that's a hard question to answer......

Yeah I feel different but I think that's how I've always felt and in many ways looked at by family and friends over the years as different, for the good and the bad.......

What I'm trying to say is I know no other way, so is it just me, my family and friends or am I different?......
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 10:50 AM

chameleon has disabled reputation
I have always felt different from non ADDers, I think it's because I have severe ADD and I just can't think very well through the thick fog.
Old 01-25-05, 12:12 PM
Jr Member

kmart is on a distinguished road
I was watching old clips of the tonight show with Johnny Carson, and he had George Gobel(I think thats his name) as a guest. Not specificaly speaking of ADD, he said, do you ever get the feeling the world is a black tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes ??? It nearly made me fall off my chair laughing.
Old 01-25-05, 04:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

whiteraven has disabled reputation
Yes, I feel different. All the time.

How can others manage to keep so organized?
Why is some of that stuff so important? I don't get it.
And...
How do I get to where I want to be, and how do THEY know how to do that?
(sigh)
Old 01-25-05, 04:22 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
We all process information differently. There are no two people who learn exactly alike. So, yes I feel different but it's not a bad feeling. Most days I see ADHD as an advantage and wish the rest of the world would just get with the program, I get so frustrated with people who cannot do more then one thing at a time. It doesn't make them bad people so why should my limits make me a bad person or leave me with feelings of insecurity.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 01-25-05, 06:10 PM

Digitl has disabled reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmykeys
Do you feel differnet from non-ADDers? Do you feel like you just think differently and aren't of the same kind? I feel completely outcasted by my friends just because I think that am processing everything differently. But then at other times I feel like theres no way I am ADD, that I am the same as them. Is this a normal feeling..and normal confusion? Do you all think that you are just not the same as your non-ADD friends??
Yes it's a normal feeling that you have , as i think everyone does to some point. Even so called ''normal people'' feel outcast sometimes.

My advice , same as Nucking_Futs, i think it's an advantage also to be as i am..And God knows i would never never would want to be ''normal'' YUCK how boring lol.

Digitl

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 01-25-05, 09:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
I don't know if I feel different cause I dont know what at "normal" person feels like! I have been add all my life, i was not diagnosed till I was 13 or so, but I have had the disorder forever. I dont know how else to feel or think!
If your important people will wait for u!
Old 01-25-05, 09:56 PM

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
I always feel i am on the outside looking in; that everyone belongs to an exclusive club to which i cannot be admitted; that i was plucked from an alien planet and dropped on earth; that everyone is in on a big joke or secret that i am not privy to.
Baruch Spinoza

Old 01-25-05, 10:03 PM
Jr Member

GreggyBogus is on a distinguished road
Everyone does...

This is in no way meant to trivialize your struggles, because I know exactly how you feel. But I think that everyone to a certain extent, ADD or not, has these feelings.

And it makes sense. We're taught our whole lives that we are unique... no two people are the same... we all have different strengths and weaknesses. We feel different because we are different.

The more I read up on all of this stuff the more I feel alot of it is a matter of perspective. You watch Smallville or a Superman movie and you see Clark Kent lamenting over being different, not being able to totally relate with others. But yet how many of us would not give everything to be superman... to have those super powers... to be *different*.

I think that's why The Matrix was as popular as it was? I think it was because everyone relates with that idea of being different.

So what if we learned to look at our differences as superpowers instead of weaknesses? I'd gladly take the kryptonite condition if it meant I could fly.

Greg
Old 01-25-05, 10:34 PM

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
yeah, well, i'd love to be able to twitch my nose and make things appear, dissapear, or clean themselves....that kind of different would be fun. This kind of different is out of the "average" or "norm" - on the fringes of the bell curve.
Baruch Spinoza

Old 01-25-05, 11:03 PM
Jr Member

GreggyBogus is on a distinguished road
The fringes can be fun too...

Yeah, obviously we're never going to have supernatural powers... but perhaps some of the ADD benefits can be as above normal as one can get. For instance the abillity to work exceedingly well under high pressure situations in which most people typically shut down.

I know this girl that's a climbing phenom. She set all these records for rock climbing when she was really young, beating people ten years older than her. At one point she got the opportunity to go to the Nike testing facility where they found that her tendons had a rediculously high level of instant contact strength. As it turned out she was genetically predisposed to be really really good at climbing...

Now, here powers weren't super natural... but they gave her a natural, almost unfair, edge over the competition.

Surely our unique chemistry gives us similar advantages in different areas. We just gotta keep trying enough things till we figure out what it is. (And given our ADD trying enough things shouldn't be that difficult)

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke
yeah, well, i'd love to be able to twitch my nose and make things appear, dissapear, or clean themselves....that kind of different would be fun. This kind of different is out of the "average" or "norm" - on the fringes of the bell curve.
Old 01-25-05, 11:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swamp Donkey is on a distinguished road
In my life, I'm on a stage where a play is being performed. All the other members of the cast seem to know their lines perfectly, and the carry them off smoothly and effortlessly. I've been watching them out of the corner of my eye, trying to figure out just what my lines are, hoping I'll get it before someone figures out that I'm absolutely clueless about the whole thing.
Ever been out in the woods and felt like you were being watched?
** Photo taken March 1999 near The Forks, Maine.**
Old 01-25-05, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wheresmykeys is on a distinguished road
I like that way of seeing it Swamp Donkey. Thats exaclty how it feels...