ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-19, 01:38 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,160 Times in 2,561 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
A good read...

I love to read. Have always loved it from the first time I picked up a book as a child. Outside of my vast collection of Golden Books as a little kid my mom, who supported my desire to read, gave me a host of books on record. I still have them. Loved them and that's why I could read early on my own. Favorite story on record was Chicken Little. Cracks me up that many people have no idea that the "sky is falling" as a saying came from this story. Favorite book as a young child though, Ferdinand hands down. I was however disappointed by the cartoon.

As I got older I was deep into Judy Blume. My favorite though was her memoir. I was amazed how I could identify with an adults account of growing up. Naturally during this time I went through many of the classics. Most as a requirement. I have been collecting some of them from Penguin and have been rereading them as an adult to see if I have a different perspective.

Favorite book as an adult...The Wolf's Hour: Robert Maccammon. It's a story about a spy that as a child was bitten by a werewolf. Normally not my cup of tea but omg, it's so good. A not too distant second is The Help. Very well written and the movie didn't do it justice. Which I think we can say about most book to movie. Third? Shoe Addicts Anonymous. Go figure

I have been trying to find all of the books to the Stephanie Plum series. I hit the used book outlets to look for them. Stephanie is a struggling woman who attempts to become a bounty hunter. Good reads.

I have been in a slump for a good book. This past year I couldn't hang my head to read because of the neck injury and I've been dying not being able to read. I usually can't read a book after I've watched the movie, so I avoid those. I tend to lean towards nonfiction at times. I love books that can share American history as a story and not a breakdown of just dates, etc. I know some of my favorite books are fiction, so I am open to most things. What I was reading which I think I'll finish soon is the Hour of Peril: a book about Lincoln's tour through the states and how he was in that moment a target for assassination which was thwarted. At the same time I was reading Chicken Health lol.

I'm ready for fiction. I don't care for a lot of sex in my reading. The Wolf's Hour was riddled with some of it but from a man's perspective it wasn't as flowery and odd as some women's perspectives. So no to the Grey series. If you have any recommendations I look forward to hearing about them. If you can give a brief description without giving away too much so we can all determine if it's a good fit for us, that would be great.

sooooo...let's get to some happy reading

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-08-19), psychopathetic (02-08-19), stef (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 01:54 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,892 Times in 15,249 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
I love to read. Have always loved it from the first time I picked up a book as a child. Outside of my vast collection of Golden Books as a little kid my mom, who supported my desire to read, gave me a host of books on record. I still have them. Loved them and that's why I could read early on my own. Favorite story on record was Chicken Little. Cracks me up that many people have no idea that the "sky is falling" as a saying came from this story. Favorite book as a young child though, Ferdinand hands down. I was however disappointed by the cartoon.

As I got older I was deep into Judy Blume. My favorite though was her memoir. I was amazed how I could identify with an adults account of growing up. Naturally during this time I went through many of the classics. Most as a requirement. I have been collecting some of them from Penguin and have been rereading them as an adult to see if I have a different perspective.

Favorite book as an adult...The Wolf's Hour: Robert Maccammon. It's a story about a spy that as a child was bitten by a werewolf. Normally not my cup of tea but omg, it's so good. A not too distant second is The Help. Very well written and the movie didn't do it justice. Which I think we can say about most book to movie. Third? Shoe Addicts Anonymous. Go figure

I have been trying to find all of the books to the Stephanie Plum series. I hit the used book outlets to look for them. Stephanie is a struggling woman who attempts to become a bounty hunter. Good reads.

I have been in a slump for a good book. This past year I couldn't hang my head to read because of the neck injury and I've been dying not being able to read. I usually can't read a book after I've watched the movie, so I avoid those. I tend to lean towards nonfiction at times. I love books that can share American history as a story and not a breakdown of just dates, etc. I know some of my favorite books are fiction, so I am open to most things. What I was reading which I think I'll finish soon is the Hour of Peril: a book about Lincoln's tour through the states and how he was in that moment a target for assassination which was thwarted. At the same time I was reading Chicken Health lol.

I'm ready for fiction. I don't care for a lot of sex in my reading. The Wolf's Hour was riddled with some of it but from a man's perspective it wasn't as flowery and odd as some women's perspectives. So no to the Grey series. If you have any recommendations I look forward to hearing about them. If you can give a brief description without giving away too much so we can all determine if it's a good fit for us, that would be great.

sooooo...let's get to some happy reading
Some easy fiction similar to Stephanie Plum is Sue Graftons mystery series that starts with "A is for Alibi". She is a single PI and they are fun.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-08-19), midnightstar (02-08-19), psychopathetic (02-08-19), stef (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 04:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,764 Times in 11,677 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Genius by Patrick Dennis I read it once a year to laugh all over again.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-08-19), midnightstar (02-08-19), psychopathetic (02-08-19), stef (02-08-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-19, 05:25 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,379 Times in 13,820 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

As a kid, I loved Animals of Farthing Wood books, since "growing up" I'm into Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit but mostly factual stuff nowadays, I'm not really a fiction reader any more

One book I read recently that I've read at least 20 times maybe more is Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne (unsure of the spelling of her surname) but that book is a amazing read, Andi
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-08-19), psychopathetic (02-08-19), stef (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 05:42 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,890 Times in 7,899 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of the last books I read were A Beautiful Mind about a mathmatical genius named John Nash. They also made a movie with the same title.

And another book I just finished about a month ago...The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks. It was a random book I recieved and it's not at all I book I'd of ever have picked out on my own...but it turned out to be a pretty good read. It was about a lady in the 50's who had cancer, and the doctors took some samples of her cells without her consent. Turns out her cells would keep on growing and replicating themselves forever...they started to send her cells all over the world, and eventually they started charging for the cells making huge amounts of money from them. The cells were used in all sorts of ways by the scientist. They had a never ending supply of human cells to run tests on for cancer treatments and vaccines and cloning techniques...just all kinds of things.
Meanwhile she'd passed away, and her family never knew (till much later) that her cells had been taken and sold and used for such things.

I don't know. It was actually a really good book I thought.

There was also a movie HBO made based on the book that stars Oprah Winfrey .

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-20-19), Fuzzy12 (02-08-19), Lunacie (02-19-19), midnightstar (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 05:50 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,890 Times in 7,899 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
I'm into Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit
I LOVED those books! I read the Hobbit when I was a teen...and I was completely taken by Strider (Aragorn). He was a hero to me and there was so many times when I felt super anxious and scared (stupid low self-esteem and social anxieties! ) where I'd think about him and how much I wanted to be a ranger like him, and I'd feel stronger. lol He really helped carry me through some pretty difficult times.

I read the hobbit a handful of times, read the Fellowship Of The Rings 2 or 3 times, and read the Two Towers once.
I was never able to even start the last book...Return Of The King. I'd always lose interest in the series well before getting there.

It wasn't till I was around 30 that I bought a really nice version of the books that had all 3 of the books in it...and over the course of nearly a year I got through it.
Love the books! I have a really nice, leather bound version of the Hobbit as well.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-08-19), stef (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 07:09 PM

Thanked 27,263 Times in 13,227 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely loved Judy Blume!

Recently I've been reading a lot of Jules Verne, it's all free on kindle and I kind of got hooked on it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-20-19), midnightstar (02-08-19), psychopathetic (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 08:00 PM

Thanked 30,580 Times in 14,077 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
As a kid, I loved Animals of Farthing Wood books, since "growing up" I'm into Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit but mostly factual stuff nowadays, I'm not really a fiction reader any more

One book I read recently that I've read at least 20 times maybe more is Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne (unsure of the spelling of her surname) but that book is a amazing read, Andi
I loved the animals of farthing wood. It was one of the first book series where I bought the books myself. I don't know. Love is understated. I really really really loved them.

I also loved the lord of the rings. Brilliant books and probably the only book which I read after watching the movie and still enjoyed it.

These days I mostly listen to audio books. Currently I'm 'reading' A history of the world and I'm finding it absolutely fascinating though I never used to like history that much.

If you like historical fiction Phillipa Gregory is very readable but she writes mostly about a very specific period of British history (from the perspective of the women involved).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-08-19), psychopathetic (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 11:15 PM

Thanked 21,764 Times in 11,677 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

LOVE Jules Verne.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-09-19), stef (02-09-19)
Old 02-14-19, 04:07 PM

midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Andi: another book I just finished (charity shop bargain) "When She Was Bad" by Tammy Cohen - wow! That book blew me away

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-20-19), Lunacie (02-19-19), psychopathetic (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 06:54 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,317 Times in 5,400 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I’m into mysteries primarily. I love Ian Rankin and Denise Mina. My aunt got me a couple of Chandler books for Christmas and I’m digging the tight prose. I haven’t read any noir before.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-20-19), psychopathetic (02-14-19)
Old 02-18-19, 06:22 AM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,197 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future

If you haven't seen the movie 'Wild' - based on Cheryl Strayed's book of the same title - I would heartily recommend it.
Andi (02-20-19), psychopathetic (02-18-19)
Old 02-18-19, 05:27 PM

LeighWolf is on a distinguished road

I liked the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. They're about an unassuming young man who interacts with spirits of the recently (usually) dead who are either asking for help, helping or hindering that help, or sometimes just goofing off. He solves mysteries of the sort that only someone with his particular abilities and "friends" could solve. There are characters in the series (the first of which is Odd Thomas) who return and are such warm and eccentric personalities. The first 3 were terrific. At some point in the series my interest flagged, but Odd was such a compelling individual to me that I had to find out where it all ended up. I apologize that I don't recall the names of them all. I think Odd may have been modeled after someone with autism, but that's just my view of him perhaps. It's a pretty spiritual book in a sense, though not dogmatic. Spiritual themes are dealt with seriously, but rules-not so much.

Edit-Have you read Kathy Reichs' books? She's a forensic anthropologist working in Canada and the US, assisting with investigations in which a body requires more detailed and historical work. As I suppose many series do, the books tend to get a little tiresome as time goes on, but the first ones are intriguing, well plotted, and give you tiny bits of French, which is fun.

Last edited by LeighWolf; 02-18-19 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: another thought struck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeighWolf For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-20-19), psychopathetic (02-18-19)
Old 02-19-19, 12:55 PM

Thanked 26,483 Times in 12,362 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I just ordered "When She Was Bad." Looks very intriguing. Thanks Midsy.

I second the nom for "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koonz. I've liked all his books.

And I enjoyed Kathy Reighs "Bones" books. Agree that they were better at first
but got tiresome. The tv series "Bones" was based on the books, but diferences
make both reading and watching very off-putting.

And now my own recommendations. Anything by Terry Pratchett. They are
listed as fantasy, but there is a lot of poking fun at established norms.

I love books about people with psychic talent and have read some good series
over the years, but at the moment my mind is too foggy to remember any.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (03-03-19), Andi (02-20-19), midnightstar (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 05:46 PM

Funacie I admit I had trouble putting that book down When She Was Bad I mean