ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-09, 08:54 AM

ethocd is on a distinguished road
Help: overcommitting or overpromising

Anyone here has a tendency to make promises that they cant fullfill? where can i find information regarding overcommittment and ADD. I just want to know if more people have this symptom. It will kind of help me deal with mine. And why do people with ADD make so many promises?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethocd For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-07-09), eminorsoul (09-08-09)
Old 09-07-09, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

2Springers_Matt is on a distinguished road
Re: Help: overcommitting or overpromising

Yes. It was one of the first things my therapist and I tackled. I was constantly saying yes. I wanted to make everyone happy, no matter what it did to me. I would over-extend myself to the point I started having major anxiety about not being able to help/finish. It was terrible.
I had to really work to say no. It was hard. I now have set limits on myself, and I make sure I am taking care of me and my family first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Springers_Matt For This Useful Post:
JollyBadger (09-07-09), Turbochica (09-07-09)
Old 09-07-09, 10:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

The story of my life! As adhders we typically have difficulty with time management and accurately estimating time to complete a task or project and being able to prioritize. There's also the impulsivity which makes it so easy to say "sure!" when anyone asks us to do something or asks for volunteers.

Like 2Springers_Matt, it was one of the first things I dealt with in counseling. I had an assignment - for two weeks I was to say "no" any chance I got, and anytime I thought of the word I was to say it out loud. When someone would ask me something, even if my answer was truly a yes, I needed to say "no". Then I could change it to a yes. OUCH! It sounds simple, but I was almost in tears the first few days over it.

My next two week assignment was to say the word "mine" every chance I got. Now this was the real eye-opener because it was suddenly so clear that I had no boundaries. I actually had a difficult time speaking the word, it started out like a whisper, it was almost harder than saying "no". At the end of these four weeks, these two words were the coolest things in the world. I loved them.

What I'll do now if I'm not sure of what I want, or I'm not certain I can follow through on a commitment is say "Let me get back to you on that". It gives me some time to look at things and see first if I do have the time to commit, and most importantly if it's something I want to commit to. Over time I've gotten pretty clear on being able to make solid commitments one way or the other, but on occasion I do change my mind. I've found it's much easier to change my "no" to a "yes, than the other way around.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
The Following User Says Thank You to novagal For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (09-07-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-09, 10:35 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,273 Times in 8,603 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you mention it!
I have this ugly tendency to say yes or at least 'I'll look into it' whenever someone shows up with a problem. Only to find out I really cant spare the time.

So I am learning to say no. That is not easy. Especially to people who never heard that from me before.
Old 09-07-09, 11:01 AM

Thanked 27,267 Times in 13,229 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

ha just as I read this taking a break before I agreed to help someone with something due, today, that I only have time to start now!
this must stop, if anyone has any suggestions...
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (09-07-09)
Old 09-07-09, 02:37 PM

ethocd is on a distinguished road

what is the cause?
The Following User Says Thank You to ethocd For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (09-07-09)
Old 09-07-09, 02:53 PM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

Nova great post. I have had similar experiences with trying to say no.
Yes I have gone to the "I will think about it and get back to you " comment.

My counterbalance and sanity check is my dear Husband who is very good
at time management and accurately estimating time. If I am in doubt that
my no or yes is right, I can always double check with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novagal View Post
The story of my life! As adhders we typically have difficulty with time management and accurately estimating time to complete a task or project and being able to prioritize. There's also the impulsivity which makes it so easy to say "sure!" when anyone asks us to do something or asks for volunteers.

Like 2Springers_Matt, it was one of the first things I dealt with in counseling. I had an assignment - for two weeks I was to say "no" any chance I got, and anytime I thought of the word I was to say it out loud. When someone would ask me something, even if my answer was truly a yes, I needed to say "no". Then I could change it to a yes. OUCH! It sounds simple, but I was almost in tears the first few days over it.

My next two week assignment was to say the word "mine" every chance I got. Now this was the real eye-opener because it was suddenly so clear that I had no boundaries. I actually had a difficult time speaking the word, it started out like a whisper, it was almost harder than saying "no". At the end of these four weeks, these two words were the coolest things in the world. I loved them.

What I'll do now if I'm not sure of what I want, or I'm not certain I can follow through on a commitment is say "Let me get back to you on that". It gives me some time to look at things and see first if I do have the time to commit, and most importantly if it's something I want to commit to. Over time I've gotten pretty clear on being able to make solid commitments one way or the other, but on occasion I do change my mind. I've found it's much easier to change my "no" to a "yes, than the other way around.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Old 09-07-09, 02:57 PM
Jr Member

mdrider is on a distinguished road

I have definitely struggled with this my whole life (I'm 41); over the last 10 years I have been getting better about saying no. At first I felt guilty, but then I realized most of the time by saying no I was doing that person a favor, because it saved them from the disappointment of me not doing the thing I committed to. And saved me from resenting them (for asking) and myself (for accepting).

One strategy I use a lot is not to commit, but to offer an alternative. If someone needs X and asks me, I'll say no, but refer them to someone who can or I suggest an alternative idea/way of accomplishing what they want. That way I'm helping, but I'm not committing myself to doing X.

I don't know if people w/ADD make more promises than non-ADD people; I think our fulfillment percentage is lower.

I repeat the following to myself often: 'No' is not a four-letter word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethocd View Post
Anyone here has a tendency to make promises that they cant fullfill? where can i find information regarding overcommittment and ADD. I just want to know if more people have this symptom. It will kind of help me deal with mine. And why do people with ADD make so many promises?
Old 09-07-09, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really nice

This thread hits one of my many turmoils.
I find that I will spend as much time as I can helping other people.
I can't help myself but I always(until my recent self-imposed rebellion) can help someone else.
My phone never rings with someone asking if they can help me.
The iroy is that helping others is the only 'reward' I get,but then I become frustrated cuz I *always* help others,and they *never* help me.
Logic tells me that this can't really be true,but I just don't see it.
Are my expectations too high? I have pretty much alienated all my 'friends' cuz they really don't seem to have the same definition of 'friends' that I do.
Its like I'm doing it(life) wrong
Old 09-07-09, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by novagal View Post
My next two week assignment was to say the word "mine" every chance I got.
When I read this, I immediately thought of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

"Mine-mine-mine-mine!"

I definitely over-commit, or promise/volunteer to do something and then completely forget to do it.

It's hard for me to say "no," because I like doing things to help other people. However, that can quickly turn into a situation where I end up feeling unappreciated or taken for granted, and I burn out and stop volunteering altogether.

Other times, it's something as simple as telling my boyfriend I'll look something up for him on the internet (he doesn't have access from home), but then I completely forget to do it because I get sidetracked.

Imagine that.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 09-07-09, 09:29 PM

Keep0nkeepn0n is on a distinguished road

This is a major problem of mine. Mainly my problem revolves around social engagements I say 'yes' far too often and find myself constantly backing out at the last minute which drives people nuts, and rightly so. That said I too have employed the 'I'll get back to you approach' and occasionally a no. Some people don't like it but that's their problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptNemo View Post
This thread hits one of my many turmoils.
I find that I will spend as much time as I can helping other people.
I can't help myself but I always(until my recent self-imposed rebellion) can help someone else.
My phone never rings with someone asking if they can help me.
The iroy is that helping others is the only 'reward' I get,but then I become frustrated cuz I *always* help others,and they *never* help me.
Logic tells me that this can't really be true,but I just don't see it.
Are my expectations too high? I have pretty much alienated all my 'friends' cuz they really don't seem to have the same definition of 'friends' that I do.
Its like I'm doing it(life) wrong
This rings true on this end as well. I stick my neck out for people quite often ie through help, emotional support, helping others achieve their goals what have you, which I never actually realized till it was brought to my attention. Conversely, when it comes to 'me' I can't ever seem to help myself. Gotta love it.
Old 09-07-09, 09:46 PM

DCadult-Inatt is on a distinguished road

I struggle with this at work quite a bit. I'm an executive with a million things I should be doing alone, but I am overcommitted to both the people I report to and the people that report to me. This is making for constant anxiety and turmoil. Ready for a change to turn my helpfulness into some sort of strength. Miserable but so grateful for the company that gets me. Good luck to us all.
Old 09-07-09, 09:59 PM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 732 Posts
chips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
I definitely over-commit, or promise/volunteer to do something and then completely forget to do it.

It's hard for me to say "no," because I like doing things to help other people. However, that can quickly turn into a situation where I end up feeling unappreciated or taken for granted, and I burn out and stop volunteering altogether.
I can so relate to this. I've always taken on to much & end up feeling taken for granted. I've just recently volunteered to help out with a group & already feeling so swamped by everything they need done. They don't get many reliable long term volunteers & I feel even worse about myself by feeling I'm going to let them down too.
I was telling my partner just this morning why I feel so irritable is because I have this constantly on my mind that I feel so overwhelmed by what is expected & my own mind blowing it even more out of proportion. I feel so burnt out already!
Saying no is very hard indeed.
Old 09-07-09, 11:30 PM

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just can't say n.....n..................n...............yeah I have the same problem. I'm a yes man, and what's worse, not only do I do what I'm asked, I'll volunteer for all kinds of crazy things. I just like to be of help, it kind of is what I do, but I often just over-commit, and can't handle everything I've promised with the best of intentions.

Extra good intentions + poor executive function = Someone will be let down
Old 09-08-09, 12:02 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a tendency to do this and for a time I was the 'Yes Lady' who said yes to anything and everything despite wanting to say no half of the time and often found that I couldn't deliver on those intentions/promises which therefore caused me a lot of problems.

Time management isn't one of my strengths and never has been but now I often look at a clock and try to keep a list of important things to do and the time I need to do them in, another problem I had is that I wanted to do whatever I could to please another person even if that resulted in making me unhappy in someway but now I've learnt to say no but in a nice way.

My thing is 'Don't make promises you know you can't keep' and I only say yes to things I'm comfortable with and make promises on things I know I can deliver on..well most of the time anyway.

Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethocd View Post