ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-09, 02:16 PM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about
Angry Just missed my !*#@ ADD appointment

I can't believe how upset I am... I missed my appointment I'd been waiting on for about three weeks. I was supposed to see a counselor who had experience dealing with ADD. Irony of ironies, I missed the f'ing appointment. I had SOMEHOW gotten it into my head that the appointment was at 2pm, when I had it written down in THREE DIFFERENT highly organized places that I should be there by 12:45. Three!

How do I do this to myself, over and over? I was just sitting here knitting, wasting time away, when I could have been at my damn appointment. Why didn't I just LOOK at my sched book- that's what the h*ll it's there for!!!!

I feel like I'm trying, I'm running and running, but only in circles. It simply just does not occur to me to do things such as check on time. I can want to, I can remind myself to, but sometimes I just don't, and I really feel I have no control over it. I've tried in vain to control my symptoms for years, I'm working to be better... that's why I know it's not just a willpower thing, because I've tried for so long, and I can't even succeed at things I enjoy doing. How I'd love to be unproductive just because I felt like it! How nice to have the bloody choice!

Sometimes I just want to stop all this. I just want to be normal, instead of frantic, foggy, absent-minded. I want to be there for people in my life, how can I do that if I'm like this?

Ok I'm going to end this rant before it spills over more... just really unhappy with myself right now...

"The back of the class is where I was / Keeping quiet, playing dumb..."
The Following User Says Thank You to NekoGirl For This Useful Post:
APSJ (07-24-09)
Old 07-24-09, 02:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

scarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to behold
Re: Just missed my !*#@ ADD appointment

I'm sorry, I know how you feel. That seems to be the story of my life. Will you be able to reschedule an appointment soon?

The Following User Says Thank You to scarygreengiant For This Useful Post:
NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Old 07-24-09, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much about it Neko,i'm sure you will not miss the next one

I do it often,but sure we get more than one chance,lots
NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-09, 03:02 PM
Contributor

Thanks, guys. I've cooled down a bit.

I told my friend: "I missed my ADD appointment because I'm ADD."

*eyeroll*

The Following User Says Thank You to NekoGirl For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-24-09)
Old 07-24-09, 03:15 PM

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoGirl View Post
Thanks, guys. I've cooled down a bit.

I told my friend: "I missed my ADD appointment because I'm ADD."

*eyeroll*
Makes sense to me....
NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Old 07-24-09, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all

I know you are mostly ranting here, but I had a thought...

Could you get an electronic organizer that will not wait for you to notice it, but rather sound an alarm when it's time to say get ready for an upcoming appointment, or whatever?

Sorry you're so upset, I hope you get another appointment soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *KJ* For This Useful Post:
APSJ (07-24-09), NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Old 07-24-09, 03:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

Something that helps me keep track of appointments and such is gmail calendar. It's free and so convenient because you can set a multitude of reminders for each event you set on the calendar. You can have gmail send SMS text, e-mail, or combinations, to remind you at whatever time you want (or as many times for that matter.. 1 week before, 1 hour before, 1 day before, etc).

It will be okay though, appointments can always be re-scheduled. Hopefully it's soon. Goodluck
The Following User Says Thank You to phEight For This Useful Post:
NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Old 07-24-09, 03:51 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

I've been late to nearly every one of my psyche appointments..... -_-

But, they're obviously very understanding about it, seeing as how they know that this is sort of an issue for us....
NekoGirl (07-24-09)
Old 07-25-09, 05:19 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I hate when that happens, once missed my appointment to see my doctor for my Adderall Prescription re-write (he does 2 months at a time). I flipped out on myself SO bad, luckily the doctor had someone cancel 2 days later and was able to fill me in their spot - he usually is booked 3-5 weeks in advance ;x
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylerlee17 For This Useful Post:
NekoGirl (07-25-09)
Old 07-25-09, 02:24 PM

Thanked 1,559 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future

That is really frustrating.

Even with all the help from organizers and appointment times written everywhere I would likely miss mine, too.

Luckily, my Doc's office ALWAYS calls me the day before to remind me of the appointment time the following day.

I'm sure this is more for a selfish purpose... if I have to cancel they can open up a spot for someone else... but I like to think that it's 'cuz they just know I'm ADHD.
NekoGirl (07-25-09)
Old 07-25-09, 05:49 PM
Contributor

Hey thanks guys, I'm going to check out the gmail and pda options. I LOVE my analog home-made planner (I'm very visual when it comes to planning/organizing, so I like to have it easily accessible visually like that) but unfortunately it's not good at reminding me to look at it

Grafter, actually they did call, but it went to my voicemail and I never got it. It's the thought that counts I suppose!

I resched'ed with a different person, this one's furthur away but I think he may be more experienced- so maybe this happened for a reason.

Old 09-07-09, 01:48 PM

dixonge will become famous soon enough

My iPhone has made a BIG dent in the whole area of forgetting to do things. I can enter appointments from the phone or a PC, home, work, mobile, doesn't matter, I can *capture* the event when I first hear of it. That's key. I put it in Google calendar. I have the calendar set up so that *all* events entered have a 1.5 hour alarm that comes in the form of an email.

I have my iPhone set up to check email frequently (from my Gmail account) and it makes a sound or vibrates when email arrives.

This system has almost eliminated forgotten appointments!

Of course, it doesn't prevent me from waiting until the last minute to actually GO to said appointment, but at least I'm just a little late, not completely absent.
The Following User Says Thank You to dixonge For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (09-07-09)
Old 09-08-09, 02:58 PM

MsProcrastinate will become famous soon enough

I procrastinated my appointment making, knowing full well my doc is backed up with patients right now. Now I'm out of meds and will remain out for 2 weeks. I could probably cry emergency or something, but I'm learning a lesson and won't. I may be able to get another doc to give me enough to tide me over, since he has spoken with my regular doc before and can again, but I don't know if he will or not. My procrastination is killing me. On meds, off meds.... I think it's time for a standing appointment. I am in no place to be unmedicated now, but I am. All thanks to procrastination.
Old 09-08-09, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

eminorsoul has a spectacular aura abouteminorsoul has a spectacular aura about

MsProcrastinate, I feel ya. Hopefully you can reschedule. This happens to me all the time and it's so frustrating. At least this is a doctor's appointment with someone who (hopefully) understands, at least a little bit. And maybe this is no consolation, but at least it only affects you and your (paid) doctor. I've missed meetings before where someone else is counting on me or has volunteered to help me and I feel a zillion times worse. I'm learning to take responsibility and apologize rather than lying about it, so tempting ("an emergency came up!").

Cheer up! It's okay! A new day!
MsProcrastinate (09-08-09)