ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-09, 04:15 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light
Re: One last try to explain myself, and get help. mind racing/medications/etc.

i can relate although mine are more obsessive / bad ones and stem from my OCD.
but i do also have racing thoughts sometimes too.
it does keep me up a lot.
in fact, ive had disturbed 2 or so hours sleep and woke up 2 or so hrs ago.
so im up too.
ive had a very bad last week though and am grieving, so thats one main reason why.

only thing i can suggest is talk to your doc about it and see what they can suggest.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 09-03-09, 08:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
ADD racing thoughts sort of "slip" in there - I will be concentrating on "A" and next thing I know my mind has wandered off completely leaving the alphabet without me even knowing it was happening.
Your description describes lack of focus and distractibility - two classic symptoms of ADHD - not racing thoughts.

The descriptions of racing thoughts you give as symptomatic of anxiety and of mania are indeed descriptions of racing thoughts. You've failed to describe racing thoughts here, however. You've simply described poor attention and renamed it "racing thoughts."

Whether the OP has had symptoms of racing thoughts before medication or not (something that is impossible to judge now that they are taking medication, because retrospection of symptoms tends towards confirmation bias, that is, we tend to conflate "how we are now" with "how we have always been") is irrelevant here. Even if they did demonstrate said symptoms (and they're documented beforehand, for instance, in the intake evaluation for the patient), racing thoughts are not diagnostic symptoms of ADHD. They're a red herring at best, as racing thoughts indicate anxiety or mania, not ADHD, from a clinical perspective.

And all of this aside,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adderall XR Prescribing Information
Treatment emergent psychotic or manic symptoms, e.g., hallucinations, delusional thinking, or mania [Keith Note: or racing thoughts (Symptom B4)] in children and adolescents without prior history of psychotic illness or mania can be caused by stimulants at usual doses.
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Old 09-03-09, 08:04 AM
Contributor

odsybmx734 is on a distinguished road

I didn't sleep last night one bit... not even 5 minutes...and I was laying down the whole time. I just ate a gogurt and it ended up all over my bedroom floor.....**** I need to figure something out quick before school starts, I CANT **** this semester up. I want to just quit all pills but school won't go smoothly without adderall. I just wish they could give me something to help me get to sleep.....but I am 17 and keeping drugs away from teenagers is more important to them than helping the ****ing teenagers who actually ****ing need them.... I HATE DOCTORS. come on.... I never get any sleep, I'm puking, racing thoughts, ....... what the ****...do they know ANYTHING? at all??????? I think it is messed up they know less then ordinary people, they prescribe all of these drugs and don't know a damn thing about them.

end of rant.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-09, 08:08 AM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by odsybmx734 View Post
I think it is messed up they know less then ordinary people, they prescribe all of these drugs and don't know a damn thing about them.
Actually, they probably know a lot about them. For example, they likely know that all of the symptoms you described right then are (relatively common) side effects of Adderall.

I can't believe I didn't ask this before, but how long have you been taking Adderall?
Old 09-03-09, 08:30 AM
Jr Member

evan2009 is on a distinguished road

what kind of stuff do you think about if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-03-09, 08:38 AM
Contributor

kmiller... i was just describing it how i felt it..... im no expert you cant expect me to just diagnose/describe what i am feeling and have it be accurate with medical standards.

your post lost me in a few places because i havent gotten any sleep..... so..... how can I stop my "distractibility" from keeping me awake....

I feel like you are just going by the books, and that is fine but wtf. I don't know the books should be defined by the patient, the patient shouldn't be defined by the books. does that make sense... i forgot what i was trying to say. crap
Old 09-03-09, 08:45 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Actually, they probably know a lot about them. For example, they likely know that all of the symptoms you described right then are (relatively common) side effects of Adderall.

I can't believe I didn't ask this before, but how long have you been taking Adderall?

I started taking adderall when I was 16. so, a year and a half ago. I have taken some breaks in between though.

and no, my doctors do not know ****! i am telling you man, honestly I wouldn't just say that... I sit there and spill my guts and this stupid guy just sits there like mhm so you want to try wellbutrin? I'm like.... I DON'T KNOW, I JUST READ IT ONLINE I AM NOT THE DOCTOR YOU ARE. But I didn't say that lol... but seriously gahh he doesn't even ask any questions at all, he said he could refer me to a neurologist.. that is about the most meaningful thing he said the last time I saw him. He is just a regular doc, I need someone who knows about ADD

Evan, it's hard to answer that question... I think about everything just random thoughts pop into my head over and over again I think them so fast I can't recall what I just thought, I don't absorb/comprehend them most of the time, they just pass on through...
Old 09-03-09, 08:47 AM

"He is just a regular doc."

Are you seeing a family practitioner for psychiatric issues? That's your problem. He knows about ADHD but it's not his specialization so he doesn't know about the complications in treatment. His job is generally to refer you to a psychiatrist. Have him do so.
Old 09-03-09, 08:53 AM
Contributor

Well.... he isn't even a good practitioner so I have an appt with a new one in a week...then I will probably have to wait even longer for that doc to refer me to a psych.

But I have been to a psych before many times and I describe everything I have told you and they just shrug their shoulders really... like it's just something I have to deal with. Maybe I'm not good at explaining it right, I say my mind races and it's like they go, "so". I will tell the new psych when/if I ever get in to see one. Maybe I have the ADD racing thoughts, or distractibility w/e, and I also have racing thoughts caused by adderall and I just haven't been noticing a difference between the two?
Old 09-03-09, 08:58 AM

Possible, I suppose? All I'm saying is that racing thoughts are a side effect of Adderall. I don't have access to your case history to tell whether or not the racing thoughts preexisted the Adderall so I can't say for certain that they're symptomatic. Have you ever been on any other stimulant medications? Specifically the methylphenidate family?
Old 09-03-09, 09:46 AM
Contributor

nope. i just know I have always been pretty spacey, one thought leading to another quite quickly all day...
Old 09-03-09, 10:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

odsybmx734

If it is a matter of finding a doctor who will rx Xanax for regular daily dosing that is just a matter of finding one....my sister has clostrophobia and occasional panic attacks largely due to that and her Dr writes her Xanax to take "as needed" regardless if thats everyday, 3X a day.....or just when SHE feels her anxiety is interferring with her life. My observation over the last few years with my sister is not only is the daily Xanax rx helpful....but just the reassurance she got right off the bat that she knew she had something to take if she was losing it improved her anxiety as well....don't think that is placebo effect, just know ,fer me too, if you know you have something you can take for any condition that bothers you.....there is reassurance there and that has a calming effect all on its own.

I know we have talked a good deal, from our previous discussion both online and off, and seem to remember you may have insurance, financial or other obsticles but maybe its time to start all over with a new DR.....maybe yours is too complacent and not the patient advocate you/we all need.

....just also know hate to see you going thru so much frustration on top of other symptoms.

Jeff

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiddder For This Useful Post:
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Old 09-03-09, 11:21 AM

brightdarkness is on a distinguished road

A psychiatrist, obviously, would be best to determine the next cause of action.

I am on Abilify, an atypical antipsychotic (although I've never been psychotic) for depression, but it is also known for treating racing thoughts and mania at higher doses. Not a medicine to mess around with, but perhaps something to ask a psychiatrist about when describing your symptoms.
The Following User Says Thank You to brightdarkness For This Useful Post:
odsybmx734 (09-03-09)
Old 09-03-09, 12:37 PM
Contributor

kidder, that is a relief... I thought doctors just wouldn't even consider it because of my age... and even if they did I thought it was a serious drug and they just wouldn't give it to me thinking I don't have through the roof anxiety. I will definitely try for this, but even my mom said no...but its not her problem to deal with its mine. brightdarkness, yeah I hope I get a good one, and I'll try to remember that and mention it.
Old 09-03-09, 01:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all*KJ* is a name known to all

Here's the problem (beyond your idiot Dr that is)...you are trying to figure something out, with a biased perspective, and without a clear mind...and that's not even to consider the fact that you are not a Dr or even a legal adult.

I would not try to determine your next treatment.

Since you've made it clear that your Dr is an idiot, there is a good chance that you are not on the right Rx, perhaps not even Dxd correctly.

I would take that idiot up on his offer to see a neuro. There could be any number of reasons for what you are experiencing. A sleep study seems to be in order too, a neuro can order that, an EEG (a BEAM study would be best) and an MRI to rule out any organic defects.

I would start there for sure. If the neuro rules everything out (like a seizure disorder, damage or something else not discussed above), he can still determine ADD versus bi-polar versus a few other psych conditions using neurological tools.

Clearly you need rest, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this may be the biggest culpret contributing to your 'distractibility'... particularly if it's been going on for as long as you say it has. Your mind is likely exhausted and fatigued to it's ends!

Once you get all you can out of a neuro...I'm sure you could also get a referral to a GOOD psych if needed too.

Good Luck...