ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-06, 06:44 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
This reminds me... I was in a cafe having coffee and I totally zoned out. A very perceptive fellow I knew caught me doing it and he commented "I wish I could do that"... I was a little embarassed having gotten caught red-handed zoning like that.

It is the one characteristic of ADHD that I deeply appreciate.

Me
Heh, that's how I got the Kid to realise her meds worked! I was unmedicated and she was medicated and we sat at the clinic office. The walls there are very soothing and extremely zone-friendly. I said "OK, let's try something. Zone with me!".

I went off to Outer Space and she kept poking me "Momma? MOMMA! I can't zone! And I sure hope I do not look as dumb as you do when I zone, sheesh Momma...".

Crazy
Old 08-12-06, 11:35 AM
Contributor

bythesea has disabled reputation
Nova - me too! Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Hyperfocus has been a part of my life...I really don't even notice I'm doing it, unless I do have to 'tear myself away'...and focus on something other than what I'm doing.

A form of obsession...I suppose. One that I can't seem to stop 'thinking/researching'...like the subject of it is always on my 'backburner'...waiting...

It has it's positive and negative effects on me..
Positive is that I go beyond what's necessary to accomplish what I'm doing..
Negative is that anything else, during that time, becomes 'secondary' (even when it's just as much of a priority).

The difficulty I have is acknowledging that some things I hyperfocus on, are not vital, and I really shouldn't be that focused on them.

But then again...if I could do that..I wouldn't have this issue, LOL !
The Following User Says Thank You to bythesea For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 08-12-06, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Chele77 has disabled reputation
I hyper focus a lot. I have to admit that my husband loves it when I hyperfocus on cleaning....he comes in the door and I am cleaning the door with bleach because there is nothing else to clean......I know it is neurotic, but, I do tend to hyperfocus on cleaning, or being on this forum a lot too...or reading,etc.
Kermit the Frog (The Rainbow Connection)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chele77 For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-06, 11:53 PM
Forum ADDvocate

roly poly is just really niceroly poly is just really niceroly poly is just really niceroly poly is just really nice
My biggest greivence with hyperfocus is that I end up blocking out those who are close to me. I forget about things that should be addressed. Nothing matters other then what's at hand. What's at hand many times can be something that is totally insignificant the next time I think of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roly poly For This Useful Post:
ImissATARI (12-21-10), Layla771 (07-28-10), manismom (09-01-10)
Old 08-14-06, 04:12 AM

Abady911 is on a distinguished road
We are cursed with a bliss!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abady911 For This Useful Post:
valkyriemp (07-10-13)
Old 09-29-06, 01:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

DaveHawk has disabled reputation
The bliss is a great ride!

I have a hugh Turmo in the sho that has fire damage on one of the high corners and it has been in my shop for 4 years now. I looked at it today and thought it's time for a hyper secsion on this turmo to restore it. It will be a project that will take me about 60 hours and one I am looking forward to after I finish the evaluation and documentation of.

Thanks for the info CF
Old 09-29-06, 04:21 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
And thanks for reading, everybody .
Old 10-12-06, 07:45 PM
Jr Member

axe_2_grind is on a distinguished road
Wow! What a concept!! That explains most of my life!! I get very bent out of shape when my wife pulls me away from my guitars, or my computer, or if I'm in the middle of a project, and she wants to cuddle or something.

Come to think of it, I think she likes to hyperfocus on me!

Really useful info!!
Thanx!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to axe_2_grind For This Useful Post:
ABadder (01-11-15), Dreamsage (02-27-16), Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 11-19-06, 06:56 PM

Patricia is on a distinguished road
Hi! I really have a problem with hyper-focus because I can be at a picnic or something where there are lots of people and I can be SO FOCUSED in talking to someone about something I'm really interested in(like a camera) and when the speaker or announcements start I do not even hear it. I do this when pictures are being passed around and the speach starts and I'm so zoned out with looking at the pictures that I will just start talking to someone and the speaker has already started. I don't know why I do this and it's really embarrasing and I am seen as being rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patricia For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 11-21-06, 05:23 PM
Jr Member

li.mony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source
I knew hyper-focusing was an issue with me, but I did not know that the anxiety that comes with it or the verbal lashing out were directly related. I tend to yell a lot at people when they interrupt me when I'm on the computer...
The Following User Says Thank You to li.mony For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 11-24-06, 09:29 AM

So glad to see my little sticky thread is still alive and kicking .
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy~Feet For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (12-20-17)
Old 01-07-07, 02:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

MusikGeliebter has disabled reputation
Hyperfocusing is my favorite thing about being ADD. I never feel as fully engaged mentally as I do when I'm hyperfocused on something. Unfortunately I don't have much control over what I hyperfocus on, but I like to take medicine holidays for a few days every few months so I can zone out to my heart's content, and I find it to be kind of therapeutic!
The Following User Says Thank You to MusikGeliebter For This Useful Post:
Dreamsage (02-27-16)
Old 01-07-07, 02:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

MusikGeliebter has disabled reputation
Oh, and I do Hate to be interrupted!! Don't like to come down from my cloud!
Old 01-08-07, 02:35 PM

whrsmymind is on a distinguished road
MusikGeliebter, I totally agree, I even hyperfocus on TV (of course this is usually not what I am trully hyperfocussing on) and hate it when my wife wants me to do something else. When I am in an extreme hyperfocus, my mind is so alive, it is like a drug that I am almost depressed when my thoughts are a little less focused. I don't know if anyone else experiences the similar ups and downs, but being in a hyperfocus state make me feel so alive, my mind is literally on fire, processing, thinking, running models from my code, everything is so clear. But, thinking about other things becomes difficult. When it ends and my mind is darting around, not focused, I almost feel depressed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whrsmymind For This Useful Post:
emmawipp (11-16-11), Layla771 (07-28-10), valkyriemp (07-10-13)
Old 01-18-07, 02:36 AM
Contributor

jacinta will become famous soon enough
I can relate to hyperfocusing. I get wrapped up in things to the exclusion of 'what's important.' Eg I got wrapped up in numerology when 06.06.06 was coming up. Especially when I found out that Bill Gates was a '6' using the ASC11 code. I just had to know what numbers my family and friends (and the dog and budgie) were. My sister thought I was psychotic. By the way what 'Is Important?'
The Following User Says Thank You to jacinta For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)