ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-08, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,936 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

When I was in university every last essay I wrote was done within a couple of hours with the main writing being done within the first 30 minutes, what took longer was cleaning it up. I'd find myself gathering information and synthesizing it as I went along. I got great marks. I have a lot of hyperfocus. While reading a book, you can call my name but I won't even hear you, when I do, I probably give someone a drugged look. It can be very difficult to drag my attention off something and 'shift' usually by the time I've fully shifted I've missed the important bits the person was asking me and I have to ask them to repeat it.

I've been thinking while reading these posts if the benefit outweighs the downside, and my guess is that it really doesn't. I tend to enjoy my hyperfocus so my initial response was yes, but then I took a step back and looked at my life and all the stuff I neglected. The cost is high for this particular brand of enjoyment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Briebird (02-20-09), Grank18cm (07-16-09)
Old 01-15-09, 05:57 AM

apinkpony will become famous soon enough

Ah. I'm STILL one of those kids who hyperfocuses in on video games ... and to a lesser extent action movies. I originally thought I was alone on that one. Then it became part of my "theory" on my ADHD-like friends. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to have observed that.

ADHD Combined Type (diagnosis is currently for Inattentive... working on it!)

"Break the monotony! Do something strange and extravagant!"

I'll only ever regret the opportunities I didn't take, the friendships I never explored, the things I didn't try.

I am a bundle of fun! Can't get enough!!! But you'd be surprised... :-D It's the ADHD I swear!
Old 01-25-09, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Zara will become famous soon enough

Often when I am sewing clothes I can sew for hours and donīt notice that the time is going. I forget everything else and donīt even notice that I am hungry. I can start in the morning and suddenly I "wake up" and it is dark outside. Is that hyperfocusing?
But when I am almost done and only a few small details left I lose interest. It is so difficult to finish it. That is so frustrating because I really want to do it and it should be so easy and people get disappointed. I hope that changes when I start on ritalin...
The Following User Says Thank You to Zara For This Useful Post:
Pensosa (02-21-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 10:59 PM
Contributor

kettish will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

I always hyperfocused on books, until buying books got to be too expensive. Lol. Now...it's the internet. I zoned out last night and searched around craigslist looking for a cheap used car for five hours...finally came to around 3 am, had to be at work at 7 am. All I have to say is, thank God adderall's a stimulant!!

Reading, for a while it was roleplay (THAT caused emotional issues!), anime before that. After that it was martial arts. Then the military. Finally, it's the internet. Lol. Gonna be hard to kill this one I think!

Currently it's this online game called showdogs-I'm breeding up some virtual corgis, and keeping track of all the recessive genes I'm breeding for is endlessly fascinating. <3
Old 02-20-09, 02:53 AM
Jr Member

Briebird is on a distinguished road

I'm a senior in college (though it's taken me about 7 years I'll finally be getting my Bachelor's in May) and if it weren't for learning how to manage my ability to hyperfocus a bit better in the past few years I would never have gotten here at all. (Medication and cognitive therapy have both helped a ton.)

I still do the classic "procrastination" thing but once it gets down to crunch time - and by crunch time I mean usually the day of the deadline if not past it with some sort of extension - I get into the zone, the flow, whatever you want to call it and some of my best work comes out that way. I started a 12 page seminar paper around 3am the day before it was due (NOTHING would happen towards it before that no matter how hard I tried) came up for air around 11 that morning, went and handed it in and got an A for the paper as well as the course. And oh, the zen-like state of those 8 hours or so.

Hyperfocus = the blessing in the curse.

Has anyone else found that by trying to push focus before it "wants" to happen its like bashing your head against a wall? Medication helps with that to some extent but...
Pensosa (02-21-10)
Old 02-26-09, 10:45 AM
Jr Member

faith_tx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
Heh, that's how I got the Kid to realise her meds worked! I was unmedicated and she was medicated and we sat at the clinic office. The walls there are very soothing and extremely zone-friendly. I said "OK, let's try something. Zone with me!".

I went off to Outer Space and she kept poking me "Momma? MOMMA! I can't zone! And I sure hope I do not look as dumb as you do when I zone, sheesh Momma...".

Crazy
Wow. . . I'm just reading through this and a light-bulb went off. I was only recently diagnosed. In school I never got in trouble so I guess nobody bothered to see what was going on. But, the teacher sent a note home once that I was constantly staring off into space and zoned out. I wasn't on drugs (which is maybe what they thought) so they wanted to know what was wrong with me. Well, I was in history class and not interested, that's what.

Through the years I've been in counseling for various things and still nobody picked up on the ADD until this last week. The "counselors" I was seeing, called it dissociation, and blamed it on a stressful childhood. I'm thinking now it is just my wiring and has nothing to do with my childhood at all.

I have also noticed times at work when I'm super interested in what I'm doing (I'm a tester) that I go into this mode where I almost feel . . . I don't know how else to say it but I almost feel a little high. . . it just feels so good to get in a groove of something that is sort of complex and takes all my attention and I don't have the "channel two" as I call it. . .running in the background.

I almost always feel like I have my intended primary focus . . . then the second channel which is whatever I'm sort of working or obsessing on at the moment. . . running in the background of my mind.

This weekend I was at church and I had just been told I'm ADD so I've been researching that and thinking it all through. . processing it. I was at church in Bible study which I normally enjoy. . .but I couldn't get my mind off of the conversations I'd had with my new psychologist. I just kept going over and over it in my mind and things I'd read since. Very annoying!
The Following User Says Thank You to faith_tx For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10)
Old 02-26-09, 10:59 AM
Jr Member

faith_tx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele77 View Post
I hyper focus a lot. I have to admit that my husband loves it when I hyperfocus on cleaning....he comes in the door and I am cleaning the door with bleach because there is nothing else to clean......I know it is neurotic, but, I do tend to hyperfocus on cleaning, or being on this forum a lot too...or reading,etc.
Ever TRY to get yourself to hyperfocus on something? I am not a cleaner. . .but I have gone through a few short phases of being that way. It was wonderful being able to have people over. But, as you guys have all said. . .there's no way to force it. Such a bummer. LOL
Old 03-20-09, 02:42 AM

Only1Jomo will become famous soon enough

As a child I guess you could say I hyperfocused on barbies. I grew up in the 70's so no video games. I would disappear in my own head. I would play for hours on end and would be so totally gone at times that my family would here me playing and think that there was something wrong with me (like if I had the barbie crying) and they would come check on me. I would daydream about what I was scenerio I was going to play when I got home from school. And I would do this crazy shaking thing (hold the doll tight in my hands and tense up and shake my hands) every once in a while. I was really self concious about it so I didnt play barbies with other girls very often. To this day I have still never met anyone that was as into barbies as I was. When talking about it now my brother and I have called it dissociating. It was that intense.
Old 04-14-09, 09:07 AM

madscot125 is on a distinguished road

Like Wisefully above, I would like to know if I can put the brakes on my hyperfocusing. Ive had a stinker of a day at work. I'll explain a little.

I have difficulties all the time at work, mostly trivial stuff. I work as a technician in Non Destructive Testing of Concrete so I am out on-site a lot and I do some office work when I get back from site, writing the report.

We havent been that busy recently so I had nothing to do really today. So I see if the boss has something for me to do. He asks me to do some statements for the company. Its a billing system I showed him how to set up (this is the funny part).

Could I do it? Could I f***. I was making the same mistakes over and over again, not changing the dates, file numbers, etc. I mentioned to my colleague how difficult it was (just chatting cos he understands how I am) and the boss runs in and flies off the handle. Starts telling me that if I cant do something as simple as that then what is the point of me being there.

So I try and explain to him what is wrong with my head, that I go from thought to thought so rapid I forget everything, and he just gets worse. He ended up sending me home, telling me that I had better have a think about my future with his company. I am not a happy bunny. Clerical work is not my job, I was only trying to help.

I also dont need to be abused and made to feel small over something inherent in my nature. I really fell like kicking up a storm over this but I know it isnt the sensible thing to do. I really enjoy my job and I would end up losing it probably, and in this current climate I dont fancy trying to find another one. I also really dont fancy having another fight on my hands either.

I know the sensible thing is to just get back to work and get on with things but Ive got a funny feeling this isnt the end of the flashpoints. I know something else is going to come up in the near future and Im going to hit the same brick wall I hit today.

Im now sitting at home and my brain is going mental and I cant make it stop. Im analysing everything over and over and Its soooo getting to me.

How can I make it stop?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madscot125 For This Useful Post:
Grank18cm (07-17-09), Layla771 (07-29-10)
Old 04-17-09, 06:39 AM
Jr Member

Dulcahn will become famous soon enough

Thanks that's the first time someone described that to me. I heard about it before but never had it explained

Mailed it to the wife, maybe she would understand now when I am at the brink of ripping up a uber powerfull demon and she bothers me with a simple task there is a reason behind my unhappyness lol!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dulcahn For This Useful Post:
Grank18cm (07-17-09)
Old 04-19-09, 05:38 AM

craig0ry is on a distinguished road

This is the best thread I have ever read. That description, someone threading a needle in a bobbing boat in the dark, and being asked a question - I have reacted that way a million times. Now I know. Thank you so much for posting this. I don't like the hyperfocus - it's cool when it's on, but too often it's keeping me from doing something important by doing something nonsensical, like meticulous cleaning or researching something far far far beyond the point anyone needs to know.

This forum is the best thing that has happened to me in a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to craig0ry For This Useful Post:
Bass (04-29-09)
Old 04-29-09, 04:44 AM

Bladezor is on a distinguished road

I never talked to my Psychologist about this one but it's something that particularly interests me. I definitely notice this trait, especially since I'm a very skilled gamer. I notice this the most when playing games that require quick reflexes such as First-Person shooters. The same cannot be entirely said for Real Time Strategy games, especially since they're much slower paced.

It's hard to explain but once I'm on a roll it's very difficult to stop me, I'm just too into the game. The odd thing is that it's almost instinctive for me, it doesn't require much effort to start 'hyperfocusing' but it's not something that I can apply to everything obviously. Seems to only be evident with games :\
Old 04-29-09, 07:11 PM

Bass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0ry View Post
...but too often it's keeping me from doing something important by doing something nonsensical, like meticulous cleaning or researching something far far far beyond the point anyone needs to know.

This forum is the best thing that has happened to me in a while.
I couldn't possibly agree more with this.

Last edited by Bass; 04-29-09 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Boldedness
Old 05-04-09, 04:08 PM

chocolatepop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezor View Post
I never talked to my Psychologist about this one but it's something that particularly interests me. I definitely notice this trait, especially since I'm a very skilled gamer. I notice this the most when playing games that require quick reflexes such as First-Person shooters. The same cannot be entirely said for Real Time Strategy games, especially since they're much slower paced.

It's hard to explain but once I'm on a roll it's very difficult to stop me, I'm just too into the game. The odd thing is that it's almost instinctive for me, it doesn't require much effort to start 'hyperfocusing' but it's not something that I can apply to everything obviously. Seems to only be evident with games :\
This would be me. I start a game and hours later I remember that I should probably sleep, or shower, pee maybe?

Books, my husband is AMAZED that I can get so engrossed into a book. That I just CAN'T stop reading it, like I am apart of it and I just HAVE to keep going. I finish books and series in a matter of days, while laundry piles up.

Or I throw myself into a project hardcore, forgetting everything else, of course not finishing project #1 before starting another project #2 and starting the cycle again.

I wish I could be hyperfocused on my statistics course...
The Following User Says Thank You to chocolatepop For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10)
Old 05-04-09, 06:03 PM

magdelaine will become famous soon enough

I have a really hard time with hyperfocus. While it sometimes helps me out of a jam (when I wait until the last nanosecond to do something and people are yelling at me), it makes day to day life very difficult, especially because I work on my computer. I will have work to do, but I'm often attracted to reading about subjects which are much more compelling to me (last week or so it's been swine flu) instead of doing my work. Hours will pass and I'll still not have gotten my work done. If I try to disengage, I experience withdrawal symptoms and I find it very difficult to not open that site back up or search for one more story.

Another problem I have has to do with hyperfocusing on conversations I'm having with myself to the point where I can't even hear my kids when they say things/ask questions. My self conversations often make me nervous and anxious, so in order to mitigate that restless feeling, I have to be listening to something else I can focus on. For instance, when I'm doing housework, I have to have talk radio on, or a podcasts...it has to be someone talking rather than music, mostly because I'm bored with the task I'm doing. If I'm more engaged, like when I'm coding, then music can help keep things rolling whereas voice is distracting.

The most annoying thing is that I can't really control it. My "need" for stimulation changes from time to time, so sometimes I have more success in directing it, whereas other times I'll lose whole weeks of productivity.

I've just been diagnosed and I haven't started meds yet, but my big hope is that they will help with this untamed brain of mine. I have no idea if everything I've described above fits in "hyperfocus" as I'm brand new to all this, and I would be interested in hearing that others have similar experiences.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magdelaine For This Useful Post:
Grank18cm (07-17-09), Layla771 (07-29-10)