ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-03, 04:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
Question How much is adult ADD; how much is me?

I just left a 5 day psychology conference in New Mexico, with very demanding schedules. I managed to be on time to almost everything. I was on time in social and professional meetings, and juggled the schedule a bit to be in two places at once in some instances. No one would have suspected I had an ADD problem. My room-mate, who knows I have ADD, commented all week-end that I am incredibly organized, dispelling my own perception of disorganization being a major feature of my personality. And he was right. I was very very very organized and on time the whole way. In fact, by the end of the weekend he started calling me the fair-haired golden boy of the conference (my hair is quite dark brown), because I garnered quite a bit of positive response from the professional community. So that is the good news, that medication has pretty much put my ADD symptoms at a point where I can manage them quite well. I highly recommend people experiment with their doctors to find the right medications.

But that will not be the end I dare say. Then we have to grow up! Too! That takes time. And it take the courage to go into our emotional depths. the places we fear, with the help of a professional, to heal the dysfunctional beliefs and feelings we have obtained from birth to now.

I went through some very intense and revealing seminars while there. These were not didactic lectures, but active action oriented emotional challenges for psychodramatists and therapists. I'm not a therapist yet, but since it is my intent to become both, these are part of my training. I emphasize MY training, because few therapists take the additional 700 plus hours needed to be trained in the techniques of sociodrama and psychodrama.

In these sessions, I discovered there are in most people, me included, many hidden reasons for disorganization, forgetfulness, symptoms of depression, inability to get one's act together, sexual disfunction, and so on. Many people have a rough time negotiating the many factors of life while at an unconscious level one or more issues are sabotaging the possibilities of success. I went for many years believing ADD was 100% responsible for my symptoms and behaviors, it's own condition.

A little voice always asked if it could be that ADD was an amalgamation of symptoms as a response to a variety of other factors or stressors in one's life? Why not? Some people respond to stress with heart disease, others respond to stress with high blood pressure, others with insomnia, others with stomach aches, others with back pain, others with head aches, so the question is to ask why couldn't some respond to stress with ADD? ADD could be the achilles heal.

If this is true, then the question is "how much is me, and my underlying issues, and how much is my ADD?" If my diagnosis is headaches, stress related, is it the headache at fault for the stress, or the stress at fault for the headache?

I don't believe that ADD is imaginary, no more so than high blood pressure. I do believe that ADD is far from hopeless, and is a blessing in many ways, and that ADDer's can vastly improve our lives. Medication is the first step for me but only the beginning. Once stablized, then I am able to explore growth possibilities, OTHER reasons for my negative self destructive behaviors, and go beyond ADD as an explaination. Without going beyond the ADD, the ADD becomes a road block and a convenient excuse, yes, that dreaded thing that "others" accuse of us. No, I don't use ADD as an excuse intentionally. I think I use ADD as an excuse as part of the way I have referenced ADD as an unbeatable illness responsible for all my human flaws, for all the bruises I received. It has been a wonderful catch all for everything. However, it has been counter productive, though comforting, to use it this way.

ADD is a symptom, not an explaination. If we treat it as a symptom , then we can take the view that the symptom is in response to some negative distasteful stressful situation, past or present. If we assume that ADD is worse when life is getting too difficult and stressful, or when we hae unresolved stress from the past, then we can assume that locating and reducing the source of stress can have a significant healing affect on the ADD, but not without a change in beliefs. As long as I believe that ADD can only be treated with the right medicine and thats all that can be done, and ADD can be held responsible for everything wrong in my life, then my beliefs become my own roadblock to recovery and my own blanket of comfort, where no progress can take place. Beliefs must change after medicine begins to work.

One with ADD must truly become a master of oneself, and learn to make peace with the underlying issues that affect development, self perception and self-esteem.

This is no easy challenge, but a worthwhile one. No one said anything good about life was ever easy and this is one example to prove it. I didn't see a sign anywhere that said easy was the answer. I believe many people would benefit and ultimately put some of their ADD symptoms to rest, by doing 2 things, medication for stablization, and deep therapy at the level of psychodrama for resolving past pains and addressing the self perception issues. When those are both in place, progress is inevitable.

Just my opinion, sharing with you, after a wonderful 5 day experience with some of the leading professionals in the fields of psychology and psychodrama.

Jonathan

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to healthwiz For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-19-16), dogenthusiast90 (08-09-12), Free_Spirit (12-21-14), hopehope (01-03-11), K-Funk (08-29-11), Mom of Twins (04-23-08), poppetx (10-14-17)
Old 05-21-03, 01:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

misclee is on a distinguished road
Thank you healthwiz, very insightful. How long have you been on medication? Curious.

I have wondered that about ADD too. They say in order to be diagnosed with the 'syndrome' you have to have had symptoms before age 7, but maybe life events can alter your brain and perceptions in the same way that biology can at birth. The brain is not static and who is to say that two different paths cannot ultimately lead to the same destination...and even look the same by the time they arrive?
Free_Spirit (12-21-14), TylerRay (07-31-11)
Old 05-21-03, 01:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
Since 1996 I have been on various medicines, which included Welbutrin, Ritlin, Adderal, the long term versions of each of those, and now straterra. I now have a combination of straterra and welbutrin which seems to be a pretty good balance for me. However, the Welbutrin and Adderal were also very good choices. I like the Straterra best because I can hardly notice I have taken it, yet my performance is significantly improved.

Exactly, I agree misclee; who is to say there is not more than one way to arrive at the symptoms of ADD? Dr Amens www.brainplace.com lists 6 or 7 different variations of ADD.

PS Kansas is not so bad. I met a very nice psychologist at the conference, from Kansas.

Jon

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
The Following User Says Thank You to healthwiz For This Useful Post:
Free_Spirit (12-21-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 09:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

misclee is on a distinguished road
I was actually taking Wellbutrin for quite sometime for PMS, not knowing I even had ADHD. I quit taking it several months ago because my other symtoms are finally better, but now ADD is running rampant....I definitely need something or I may just lose my mind! So, why the combination? Do you know which symptoms are helped with Wellbutrin and which with Straterra?
Old 05-21-03, 12:38 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Misclee -- Wellbutrin is a medication (they don't which class -- actually in a class of its own -- NOT an SSRI -- NOT a seratonin reuptake inhibitor) that has been shown to decrease depression for MANY and it has been used as a treatment for ADD as well. The Strattera, which came out not too long ago, is a non stimulant drug used to treat ADD in adults mainly....all the other add drugs are stimulants which is why this one has been given so much hype....So in general depression/ADD for wellbutrin and ADD for strattera. I was on both for awhile.....and still on Wellbutrin and probably always will be...it helps amazingly with depression and pretty well with ADD...the Strattera has had different results for different people.....as far as resulotion of add symtoms goes and side effects.....For me the side effects were just too great.....(see the strattera thread)....my focussing was better but side effects just too great....Many people will do the combination...wellbutrin with something....psychitrists will trial and error with combos until one is foudn that words...wellbutrin and an add med...such as adderal or concerta or something else...

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 05-21-03, 12:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by misclee

They say in order to be diagnosed with the 'syndrome' you have to have had symptoms before age 7, but maybe life events can alter your brain and perceptions in the same way that biology can at birth. The
Actually many AD/HD researchers are trying to change the criteria especially in females from age 7 to the onset of puberty.
Old 10-08-04, 01:43 PM

achang33a is on a distinguished road
Hi Jon,

It is definitely ADD if you have enough of the common symptons. I can sure see when getting together with the other ADD adults that we all had it so many of our symptoms nad habits are similar in many ways. Yet, ADD can come in variety of levels and forms and we can take on a varietly of the common traits. But all in all beng tested is important to help you really know and many people without ADD can have some of these symptoms. I guess it is tough to really know unless we get tested.

achang
Old 10-11-04, 01:16 AM

velvetcactus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthwiz
My room-mate, who knows I have ADD, commented all week-end that I am incredibly organized, dispelling my own perception of disorganization being a major feature of my personality. And he was right. I was very very very organized and on time the whole way. Jonathan
Surprise! We are excellent long term planners especially when we are interested in what we are doing-like attending a conference.
Old 07-03-05, 03:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

douglasb52 has disabled reputation
the cause is the effect is the cause is the effect is the cause is the effect is the cause is the....on and on and on and on...ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Is it a disease, or is it just me? Symptoms? Or me just "choosing" to screw around?

Youth is never on your side with this, because you have no way of knowing whether you will just grow out of your scattered mostly avoidance and confusion mode in life.

At age 53 I figured it was time to quit second guessing it ten paragraphs at a time like the person who agonizingly started this thread. I have a high IQ with a history of never finishing anything and a general feeling of missing out on life, and yet there is no particularly traumatic single defining event that I can point to and say, "There, see? Told you I have ADD."

All I have are years and years and years of hesitating, not following through, blowing off people I should have hooked up with, etc. etc.

Is it ADD? Or just me being lazy and stupid and good for nothing?

I take my dexedrine and work at not thinking about it any more. Things are better, believe it or not. But that's me. What do I know.

Denis Leary

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to douglasb52 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-19-16), meridian (01-25-10), Snoor (01-25-10), Titanica (06-27-11)
Old 07-03-05, 06:36 PM
Contributor

Johna is on a distinguished road
Healthwiz what part of New Mexico were you in? Did you get to eat real Mexican Food?
By chance would you know of any behavioral modifications that would work with children ages 6-10 who have add/adhd? Thanks!
Old 07-06-05, 10:20 PM

Sujill is on a distinguished road
I have a question. I am looking to change my life, starting with career, but the problem is that I have been spinning my wheels for years with no movement at all. And without a better income, I can't change anything else either, most of which is bad. And because of this, I wind up holding on to the few relationships that I have left in life, because I need the support, but wonder if I would be with them if I was whole. My life is like a car stuck in the mud, and you know what happens when the driver presses on the gas pedal in an effort to get out. That is me.

Is it really possible to move forward and make real and lasting changes? I am so sad.
Old 07-06-05, 11:50 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gourmet is on a distinguished road
Is ADD an illness or an excuse? I don't feel sick, but I get extremely frustrated at some of my behavior.....particularly when I try my hardest to correct it. I know I have a responsibility to keep things in check...and I have referred to some of the things I do as symptoms also. I also take medication to help me with focus.

But for the most part, I realize that ADD is just part of me. And with it come not only some frustrations, but also some pretty amazing things. Do illnesses bring amazingly positive things? Enhanced creativity, extreme depths of caring, high energy levels, intuitiveness......only a few of the good things I associate directly with ADD.

The devil made me do it? I'm still trying to iron all of this out for myself because there are contradictions in how I personally view ADD. Rather than think of it as an excuse I tend to think of it as a reason for understanding myself. I need to be a little more gentle with myself. I still own my responsibility for goofs. I don't believe I am a victim of ADD.

~gourmet~
Old 07-06-05, 11:59 PM
Contributor

Pigeon has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet
But for the most part, I realize that ADD is just part of me. ...

Rather than think of it as an excuse I tend to think of it as a reason for understanding myself. ...

I don't believe I am a victim of ADD.
I love these sentences. Well put, if only everyone could be so accepting of themselves.
Old 07-07-05, 12:03 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gourmet is on a distinguished road
Hi Sujill. Welcome newbie.
I know you feel sad, but I believe you can make lasting changes.
I have been in very negative places before also...spinning wheels like you said.
You can move forward and I believe you will as more understanding comes to you
about your ADD. I only found out about my ADD a few months ago and already I learned so much and feel so much better in attitude and spirit. I have used this forum as a guide and resource because you gain views from all angles of ADD.
I hope you keep reading and writing here and you will begin to heal. I feel like good things are going to begin happening for you now the more you learn.

hugs,

~gourmet~
Old 07-07-05, 12:28 AM
Contributor

VickiS has disabled reputation
[quote=Tara]Actually many AD/HD researchers are trying to change the criteria especially in females from age 7 to the onset of puberty.[/QUOTE

I am so curious about this, my symptoms were/are so clear cut.
I was finally diagnosed at 41 years old.
I was a perfect child up until about 4th grade and then it all fell apart. Everyone blamed it on my parents divorce and “rebellion” I thought I was I was losing my mind, one day I was in accelerated classes next thing I knew I could not understand a word the teacher was saying, by the time I was 12 I could barely function in a classroom.
My brother was diagnosed at 6 or 7 but since I was already labeled the “smart one” I simply became the one who just did not apply myself and frustrated the heck out of my parents.
To get to the point, I have always wondered (even though it is so obvious) if I really have Add because of those showing symptoms by age 7 rule…
Do you have any more info on this research?

]

Bill or Ted