ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-12, 06:38 PM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute
What is 'NT' ?

I've seen the initials NT on here, from the posts I've read, they refer to people who are non ADD and able to function w/out meds. But what do the initials 'NT' actually mean?
Old 04-10-12, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,817 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is 'NT' ?

Neuro typical
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-10-12)
Old 04-10-12, 06:44 PM

Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 06:59 PM
Jr Member

LondonCA is on a distinguished road

I always thought it stood for "normal thinking"
The Following User Says Thank You to LondonCA For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (04-10-12)
Old 04-10-12, 07:02 PM

@ London- I kind of that too. I looked up neuro typical and it has something to do with autism? Or maybe my ADD brain just doesn't comprehend. What a shocker....lol
Old 04-10-12, 07:12 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,501 Times in 10,851 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, "neurotypical" is a term that was invented by some people in the autism community to describe people without autism (or without any kind of neurological disorder...it's kind of expanded over time, I think). It's been co-opted by people with other neuro/psych disorders.

It's part of the idea of "neurodiversity", which basically means the idea that there are different ways people's brains can function, and that's something to be respected, rather than trying to force everyone to "brain" the same way.

(I'm personally not very fond of the term "neurotypical", because I think it makes some unwarranted assumptions about "most people" and too often gets used as an "us vs. them" kind of thing, but I like the concept of "neurodiversity" in general.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-10-12), eclectic beagle (04-11-12)
Old 04-10-12, 09:02 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

namazu beat me to the punch. but yeah neurotypical is just a designated term for what society deems 'normal people' to be, who arnt AD/HD or it's 3rd cousin 2wice removed, Autism. probably 75-85% of people

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-10-12, 09:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,508 Times in 3,101 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

NT - The "Non-Troubled" folk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Conman (04-10-12)
Old 04-11-12, 09:20 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

In formal contexts, "neurotypical" (or neurologically typical (NT)) is a term used to describe those who do not have a neurologically based abnormality in the context of discussing that specific abnormality. For example, in the context of ADHD, neurotypical means non-ADHD. I use the term "abnormality" rather than "disorder" as the term is used in non-disorder contexts, such as discussions about the "intellectually gifted".

However, in informal discussions, the term "neurotypical" has a variety of possible meanings, often being those who are not affected by a developmental disorder of neurological basis (ADHD, Autism) or even more exclusive.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following User Says Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-11-12)