ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-05, 09:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

ttjmom is on a distinguished road
Exclamation A must read Seasonal Affective Disorder

Seems that this week we are all feeling the "depressive" effects on our worlds. In having some of these feelings myself I decided to do a little research. Perhaps what I read will help some who are also feeling "the weight of the world" on their shoulders.

Animals react to the changing seasons with changes in mood and behaviour and human beings are no exception. Most people find they eat and sleep slightly more in winter and dislike the dark mornings and short days. For some, however, symptoms are severe enough to disrupt their lives and to cause considerable distress. These people are suffering from SAD.

After reading this I had to find out what the symptoms are.

Symptom 1

Sleep problems - oversleeping but not refreshed, cannot get out of bed, needing a nap in the afternoon.

Symptom 2

Overeating - carbohydrate craving leading to weight gain

Symptom 3

Depression, despair, misery, guilt, anxiety - normal tasks become frustratingly difficult

Symptom 4

Family / social problems - avoiding company, irritability, loss of libido, loss of feeling

Symptom 5

Lethargy - too tired to cope, everything an effort

Symptom 6

Physical symptoms - often joint pain or stomach problems, lowered resistance to infection

Symptom 7

Behavioral problems - especially in young people

The symptoms tend to start from around September each year lasting until April, but are at their worst in the darkest months.

So in other words …. Hang in there. The sun will shine and some of the feelings that you have right now will dissipate.

http://www.outsidein.co.uk/sadinfo.htm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ttjmom For This Useful Post:
drb10080 (12-08-11), Kirstie (09-18-12), Lizzie80 (11-08-15), OhLookABunny (12-02-14)
Old 04-01-05, 07:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Thank you for posting this. I think this disorder is very real.
Old 04-01-05, 10:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

ttjmom is on a distinguished road
I thought with everything going on people might need to be reminded that the sun will shine again. I know with myself I do not make life decisions (unless an emergency) during the winter months. So if anyone is feeling like they dont need to be a member of this forum .... please wait till the sun shines again.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-08, 09:31 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough
Re: A must read Seasonal Affective Disorder

http://toolmonger.com/2007/08/08/dea...rklight-for-6/

This light is so dominant that it doesn't even matter if the sun never shines again! (says for outdoor use only on the thing, but w/e you can litterally feel the heat from this thing like it were the sun!)
Old 10-22-08, 10:33 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Yup, I suffer from this. I just "hang in there" as best I can through the winter months and try not to over extend myself and avoid any unnecessary stress because I just can't handle it.
I've considered adding an extra med for this time of year but I'm going to see how it goes a little longer.

I used to dread Fall like nothing else. Scared to death of it all coming back again. It kinda sounds silly but I got really into football a few years ago so now at least now I have something to look forward to in the fall. Too bad it ends before winter does. Lol.
Before I know what it will say

- "Crooked Teeth" ~ Deathcab for Cutie

Old 10-24-08, 08:14 AM

Can'tregister will become famous soon enough

By contrast for those with very deep pockets ;

http://www.realsunlight.co.uk/news/

I guess I'll just have to make do with my normal light boxes for now .
Old 11-07-08, 07:05 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough

I get some of these but i get them now? Like especially sleeping, i get to bed at 9 and sleeping by 9:30 i'd say, wake up at 7am and feel like i've stayed up all night.
Old 12-10-08, 04:07 PM
Contributor

oddjobace has a spectacular aura aboutoddjobace has a spectacular aura about

Do they have it in Texas? Michigan is full of SAD's. I know mine does not clear up until March or later.

I don't even want to think of have ADD and SAD distort nad worsen each other.

Perception is 9/10ths reality

Those who define others define themselves.
Old 12-11-08, 05:46 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,216 Times in 12,816 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

"All of the above" for me. This happens to me every year!
It wasn't so bad when I was in the midwest, there are a lot of bright winter days, even if they're short.
But 3 weeks of clouds in Europe are terrible for me. Now, I can feel it "coming on" - it's acutally like I was being poisoned or something - and I just keep telling myself IT's THE WEATHER. I only had a few bad days this year (but they were really awful). The holiday lights make things better.
Old 08-25-09, 04:14 AM

Skrible is on a distinguished road

It's generally seasonal due to the lack of vitamin D, which is generated by our bodies as a reaction to sunlight. This, in turn can lower the bodies ability to absorb vitamins, such as iron, B-12, B-6, and zinc, to name a few. Deficiencies in these can cause symptoms that are like those of depression, anxiety, mania, and schizophrenia in rare cases. (Or at least that's what my shrink says.)
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/depression.shtml ,
http://ezinearticles.com/?Iron-Defic...ers&id=1207407
I can't gaurentee these are unbiased but there is a link.
This you may say of man — when theories change and crash, when schools, philosophies, when narrow dark alleys of thought, national, religious, economic, grow and disintegrate, man reaches, stumbles forward, painfully, mistakenly sometimes. Having stepped forward, he may slip back, but only half a step, never the full step back. -John Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath
The Following User Says Thank You to Skrible For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (03-12-17)
Old 08-25-09, 08:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

2Springers_Matt is on a distinguished road

I too am affected by this. Its something my psychologist brought to my attention 2 years ago. I also feel SAD even after a few days of rainy gloomy weather.
Old 08-25-09, 09:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,965 Times in 11,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago I went to my doctor to talk about this and was told I was depressed because my birthday is in the fall (November). I've never had a thing about getting older, that was total BS from a medical person who should have had a clue about this very real disorder. I think I may have been in my late 20's or very early 30's at the time, certainly not starting to think I was getting 'old'. Bah humbug.

For the last couple of years I've been listening to Dr. Zorba on public radio and he tries to stay on top of information like this. He says that none of us get enough sunlight/Vitamin D and he suggests that everyone should take a Vit D supplement. I looked for some at the place where I get my Omega 3 and Vit B complex vitamins and couldn't find any. Haven't bothered to go to the grocery store and look yet.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 08-25-09, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

2Springers_Matt is on a distinguished road

You can get vitamin D from milk. I hate milk though. Look for a Vitamin D3 substitute, its better for humans than D2.
Old 10-09-09, 12:52 AM

djdragon7k is on a distinguished road

Is it still seasonal affective disorder if it last all year long in long and short spurts?

Old 03-30-10, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Brakna will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing this post. I was first diagnosed with SAD in 1997. If I'm living in the US midwest during the winter time, it's a constant struggle to get things done and feel good about myself. During the summer time, my depressive episodes subside because I tend to get plenty of sunshine and outdoor exercise.