ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-17, 10:22 AM

ohlookakitty is on a distinguished road
Sam-E 800mg a day...some results

Recently with my anxiety (taking Bupropion/Wellbutrin 300mg XL once a day) and some depression my therapist who's also a doctor recommended looking into taking Sam-E on top. Apparently it's available OTC but not in European countries where it's prescribed.

I thought for $30-$40/month why not. I bought some on Amazon and started taking it. Didn't notice much difference nor any side effects (it shouldn't as they are amino acid) for a week. The second week I noticed some optimistic/elevated mood overall even though I've had some of the busiest schedule all around with multiple appointments (due to recent car accident).

Consistently everyday now taking 800mg of Sam-E with multi-vitamins (Sam-E works much better with Vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid) every morning on an empty stomach. I'm not as lethargic, sleeping better and I also heard they work well for your joints which I haven't noticed.

I searched the forum but didn't see a lot of reviews so I figured I put this out there. Again I highly recommend taking it with multi's as it needs a co-factor.

Obviously I'm no doctor so consult with your doctor as far as taking this on top. Some say they stopped taking their SSRI's but not something I would ever recommend nor guarantee it will work for you.

Sam-E info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Adenosyl_methionine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohlookakitty For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (07-30-17), InvitroCanibal (07-03-17)
Old 07-03-17, 04:53 AM

Thanked 1,311 Times in 537 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sam-E 800mg a day...some results

Ya it worked well for me at that dose. It really depends on the brand though.
Old 07-11-17, 12:30 PM

Bailey12 is on a distinguished road

I am researching this right now, and I think I'm going to start it at a low dose, 200mg a day and slowly increase if necessary. I also take Wellbutrin 300 XL, and 20mg of Lexapro (starting to reduce that to 10mg, and eventually drop it), and I just started Adderall XR 20mg.

I have been on the Wellbutrin for years, added Lexapro last year because depression and anxiety got worse, but it still hasn't improved. I was diagnosed with ADD, so that's where the Adderall just came in. My hope is that I can eventually drop the Lexapro completely, I don't think it works for me at all, then see how I do with the Adderall, Wellbutrin and SAMe for a while. If that goes well, I may ask about reducing the Wellbutrin with the goal of weaning off of that too, because I don't think that has really been working for me either. I am doing this with the input of my PCP and therapist, so I am glad to see that SAMe is working for you
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-17, 12:44 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,033 Times in 6,275 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had varying success with Sam-E. It seems to work well for me at first and then loses it's effectiveness after a few months.

I have taken it on and off for years and have definitely benefited from it for relatively short periods of time. It works as well or better than most antidepressants for me. Just like antidepressants the benefits don't seem to continue beyond a couple of months.