ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-17, 03:35 PM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough
SAD lamps

Who here struggles with SAD and would you ever recommend light therapy? I live in Scotland, which is fairly close to the arctic circle, so autumn and winter are really dark, really cold and really miserable. They're also very long up here.

The winter months haven't always affected my mood in the past but in recent years I've noticed a distinct change. I used to think it was because Christmas is so stressful and costly but then I started to notice that even the weather made a big difference to my mood, which it never used to. So aside from the usual self care stuff, I'm thinking about getting an SAD lamp. I have been skeptical about it, but I reckon if my phone can mess up my sleep patterns then one of these lamps has to be effective.

I can't really afford one of those fancy big ones so I'll have to settle for a smaller one. Who here has one and would you recommend it? What one would you recommend? Or does it not work for you? I would really appreciate any input from others, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to MindBlind For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-04-17)
Old 09-04-17, 04:03 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,216 Times in 12,816 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SAD lamps

Absolutely, get one!
i didn't have much of a problem with SAD until i moved to europe.
I have a Phillips I think, it wasn't terribly expensive.
it takes the edge off that despairing feeling. especially sunday late afternoons.

also vitamin D supplements help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-04-17), daveddd (09-04-17), MindBlind (09-04-17)
Old 09-04-17, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,965 Times in 11,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I second the suggestion for Vitamin D3 (the #3 is important for this).

I have used the bottles from DollarTree or whatever is on sale at the grocery
store. All have been helpful.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (09-05-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-17, 10:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,889 Times in 5,724 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm buying one before November arrives.

Cheers,
Ian
stef (09-05-17)