ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-16-12, 10:14 AM

heytheredelilah has a spectacular aura aboutheytheredelilah has a spectacular aura about
Concerta and Chest Pain

Hey guys,

I was put on 18mg Concerta last thursday. This is a miracle drug for me.. it totally sedates my brain so that I not only get the time to just be me, but I also get so much done!

Nobody around me knows about it, but already my mother is so surprised by how much I've changed for the better.

The thing is though, I have chest pains while on it! Sometimes actual pain, but tenseness throughout, and yesterday, my left arm felt weak. The muscles in it felt so weak I could barely hold a pen. I am also ALWAYS thirst. I drink so much more water than usual (maybe 2-3 times more), and sweat a lot.

I also got a terrifying migraine last night (when it was wearing off, I guess), and I had to take an advil and sit in a dark room. (I never ever take advil, maybe once more in the last year or two).

ShouldI take it again?? My doctor's not in till Monday! And I was hopeful I'd be able to get my things done today but I'm back to incessant monologues (I talk to myself out loud daydreaming sort of), and just thinking about other stuff. My urges are back; my need to "dance" is back, etc. And I need to do SO much work for school!
Old 06-16-12, 01:29 PM

sky..- is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta and Chest Pain

Hello,

This happened to me. Exactly like you, It was happening for me for about a couple of weeks. Although I only had like REAL REAL chest pain for 1 second that happened 4 times in a day.

Now, I am not sure why this happens but it seems to do to some people.

Do these:
[+] -> Get enough sleep + Bonus sleep (This may be causing the problem, I know it sounds silly but Concerta and not enough sleep for some reason makes a BIG OVERALL difference)

[+] -> Drink water trough out the day.

[+] -> Try to cut down on eating junk food. Eating healthy also makes a good difference with concerta.

[+] -> EAT BREAKFAST * !

Do a test to get good results:
-> Get enough sleep, so wake up when you want to. Get FULL sleep + bonus sleep
-> When taking Concerta eat before and after (healthy food/breakfast)
-> Don't drink coffee, don't eat dark chocolate,etc
-> Don't be stressed out.
-> Eat some fruit or a health food bar during the day if you don't already eat. (note: eating during the day may reduce concerta effects) [ may very,etc]..
-> Don't take other stimulants such as caffeine,dark chocolate,etc. (dark chocolate with concerta made me get minor chest pressure
-> Don't think about Concerta / the side effects /etc
-> Overall good diet.

(For some people Concerta may change the effect it has very easy).
Like I was on Ritalin 40mg LA + 10mg fast release and could stay up all night with no sleep,drink coffee,eat fatty unhealthy foods and works perfectly with no side effects but with Concerta if I did that it would give extreme anxiety/numb/feels like someone is sucking your energy away/heart fast/etc.

About you getting scared around night:
That is pretty much fine, same here.. Have all the curtains closed,etc.. Lol.. anyway yeah, it can be hard but after a couple of weeks/months you should get more use to it.

Overall I don't why this happens but the same thing happened to me when I was starting Concerta. Its been over 5 months now and all the side effects are gone apart from sometimes getting bad crash in evening + minor anxiety side effect attack (sweaty,fast heart,etc)
The Following User Says Thank You to sky..- For This Useful Post:
bacchus84 (06-25-12)
Old 06-16-12, 06:23 PM

heytheredelilah has a spectacular aura aboutheytheredelilah has a spectacular aura about
Re: Concerta and Chest Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky..- View Post
Hello,

This happened to me. Exactly like you, It was happening for me for about a couple of weeks. Although I only had like REAL REAL chest pain for 1 second that happened 4 times in a day.

Now, I am not sure why this happens but it seems to do to some people.

Do these:
[+] -> Get enough sleep + Bonus sleep (This may be causing the problem, I know it sounds silly but Concerta and not enough sleep for some reason makes a BIG OVERALL difference)

[+] -> Drink water trough out the day.

[+] -> Try to cut down on eating junk food. Eating healthy also makes a good difference with concerta.

[+] -> EAT BREAKFAST * !

Do a test to get good results:
-> Get enough sleep, so wake up when you want to. Get FULL sleep + bonus sleep
-> When taking Concerta eat before and after (healthy food/breakfast)
-> Don't drink coffee, don't eat dark chocolate,etc
-> Don't be stressed out.
-> Eat some fruit or a health food bar during the day if you don't already eat. (note: eating during the day may reduce concerta effects) [ may very,etc]..
-> Don't take other stimulants such as caffeine,dark chocolate,etc. (dark chocolate with concerta made me get minor chest pressure
-> Don't think about Concerta / the side effects /etc
-> Overall good diet.

(For some people Concerta may change the effect it has very easy).
Like I was on Ritalin 40mg LA + 10mg fast release and could stay up all night with no sleep,drink coffee,eat fatty unhealthy foods and works perfectly with no side effects but with Concerta if I did that it would give extreme anxiety/numb/feels like someone is sucking your energy away/heart fast/etc.

About you getting scared around night:
That is pretty much fine, same here.. Have all the curtains closed,etc.. Lol.. anyway yeah, it can be hard but after a couple of weeks/months you should get more use to it.

Overall I don't why this happens but the same thing happened to me when I was starting Concerta. Its been over 5 months now and all the side effects are gone apart from sometimes getting bad crash in evening + minor anxiety side effect attack (sweaty,fast heart,etc)
Hey! Thank you so much for the response! I decided to just take a ridiculous amount of caffeine today instead of Concerta (I used to do this before; doesn't really work, but keeps me out of bed and I can focus somewhat).

I definitely haven't been eating healthy, but I did get enough sleep. I will discuss this stuff with my doc! I never actually got scared at night, just a terrible migraine... And I didn't feel any anxiety throughout the day, that's why I'm afraid it might actually be my heart --although I do have a history of anxiety. Who knows....

Thanks again! Will keep everything you shared in mind for Monday!
Sponsored Links