ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: Is language instinctual or learned?
instinctual 0 0%
learned 3 50.00%
both instinctual and learned 3 50.00%
other 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-17, 08:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Is language instinctual or learned?

Is language instinctual or learned?

M
Old 09-11-17, 08:50 PM

Re: Is language instinctual or learned?

My biological parents/ancestors spoke Gaelic.

But I have never met my biological parents/ancestors, and i do not know how to speak Gaelic.

If language was instinctual, I would be able speak Gaelic even though I have never met my biological parents/ancestors.

So in my opinion language is learned.

M
Old 09-11-17, 09:59 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Learned.

There are stories about children who were maltreated , isolated in basements with little human contact or brought up with monkeys etc. in their formative years.

They never learnt to speak, they would grunt like animals and usually were never able to learn to speak even when re-integrated into civilisation.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-17, 12:56 AM

Thanked 27,436 Times in 12,713 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, the drive to speak and to acquire language is instinctual but the actual language is learnt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (09-12-17), namazu (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
As far as I know, the drive to speak and to acquire language is instinctual but the actual language is learnt.
I think I was wrong.

I think you are right.

Environments and Genetic mechanisms. (Epigenetic Inheritance)

M
Old 09-12-17, 08:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Learned.

There are stories about children who were maltreated , isolated in basements with little human contact or brought up with monkeys etc. in their formative years.

They never learnt to speak, they would grunt like animals and usually were never able to learn to speak even when re-integrated into civilisation.
If I remember well, the best researched example (the girl in USA who was found closed in a farm and didn't speak ) was inconclusive here.

It's quite similar with gait pattern - we are pre-wired to walk like we do, but it needs some training to work.
There are old experiments with semi-dead cats who could still zombie-walk in an organized way, when their neurons were stimulated.

And the little girl in India who was found in the jungle couldn't learn to walk like human, she moved on 4 limbs and didn't speak either.

@mild: I think the fact I can learn Chinese but I will find it hard to do so is the answer

EDIT: I just saw it's a spin-off poll from anoher big-barrel thread