ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Personality Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-17, 04:17 AM
Contributor

baical will become famous soon enough
sometimes I wonder why I'm "ADHD"...

I've seen people act hyper/active at universities especially during their get-together nights and "party nights" yet those are mostly kids that are undersexed therefore they have the need to "act it out" (histrionic personality disorder) to take out their sexually motivated aggression (i.e. hypersexual disorder). I would think it's a form of attentive (attention seeking) ADHD co-morbid with psychopathic personality disorder with a hint of impulse control disorder.

You should hear the types of conversations they talk about and their intonation...sometimes I think humans are worse than animals!

It's hard for me to believe these kids are actually graduating with narcissistic accolades. Maybe narcissism is the formula to success? Perhaps the professors are as drunk as the kids and both sides are feeding off each other's energies. If teachers fail these kids, it looks like as if the teachers weren't good teachers. It would look bad on the school. Everything is for profit. It's all a form of "exchange". Students pay the big bucks, the school better provide the "key" to the corporate world (aka the diploma). Looks good on both sides.

Last edited by namazu; 06-15-17 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: mod error -- whoops! original post has been restored.
The Following User Says Thank You to baical For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 04:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,892 Times in 13,071 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sometimes I wonder why I'm "ADHD"...

I dont think I understand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical
I've seen people act hyper/active at universities especially during their get-together nights and "party nights" yet those are mostly kids that are undersexed therefore they have the need to "act it out" (histrionic personality disorder) to take out their sexually motivated aggression (i.e. hypersexual disorder).
How do you know what anyone's sex life is like? And to say they are undersexed and need to act out on it seems like a stretch to me."acting out on it" is not the same thing as someone with histrionic PD and I think its offensive to suggest that it is. And to suggest that a personality disorder is results in sexual aggression isnt cool either.

Quote:
I would think it's a form of attentive (attention seeking) ADHD co-morbid with psychopathic personality disorder with a hint of impulse control disorder.
Do you even understand what you are saying? You are making sweeping generalizations about real, painful PD's and relating them to attention seeking.

Quote:
You should hear the types of conversations they talk about and their intonation...sometimes I think humans are worse than animals!
I do not even understand what you mean by this.

Quote:
It's hard for me to believe these kids are actually graduating with narcissistic accolades. Maybe narcissism is the formula to success? Perhaps the professors are as drunk as the kids and both sides are feeding off each other's energies. If teachers fail these kids, it looks like as if the teachers weren't good teachers. It would look bad on the school.
Again, generalizations, judgements and a lack of understanding is evident here.

Quote:
Everything is for profit. It's all a form of "exchange". Students pay the big bucks, the school better provide the "key" to the corporate world (aka the diploma). Looks good on both sides.
Education is not always about the almighty dollar and about getting ahead in the corporate world. And kudos to whoever can graduate with honors and have adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.

Last edited by namazu; 06-15-17 at 07:14 PM..
Old 06-15-17, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,166 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Can't remember what you do. This, I think , is a cultural issue.

Don't think this attitude helps the young.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-17, 03:59 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

I'm completely lost. There isn't a flavor of ADHD that's "attention seeking". People with ADHD can be attention seekers for sure, and you can even make a case that the attention seeking behavior grows out of the ADHD (I could come up with a couple different ways) but that doesn't make it attention seeking ADHD. Histrionic Personality Disorder is, as the name suggests, a personality disorder whereas ADHD is, so far as anyone can tell, an issue with brain chemistry. They're just plain not the same thing.

One thing I would say in general is that in my experience those of us with ADHD do tend to be a bit narcissistic. I don't mean we have full on NPD or anything like that but a lot of us have spent so much time worrying about fixing our own faults that we begin to become a bit inward-facing and have a tendency to take stuff that's happening around us and has nothing at all to do with us personally. I'm wondering if that's what's happening here. At the end of the day, these kids in college... does it really *matter* to how you live your life how they talk, or how they manage to get good enough grades to pass? Some people just find stuff easier to do than other people, and what's more - and as a person who suffers from ADHD, this might be a thing you may want to pay closer attention to in others, because I know we do it *all* the time - a lot of people can act like everything's going smoothly and they don't care when in fact when they're at home or whatever they care deeply and are working their butts off. Just because you don't like the particular tone a person takes does not make that person stupid or lazy or constantly drunk.

(Also, I went to 4 year college relatively late in life - 29 when I got my degree - and it was not my experience that the professors were "drunk" at work at *all*. No, my experience was that the vast majority of them loved what they did and could talk about their subject matter for hours. If they were "drunk" with anything, it was passion for the stuff they were teaching.)
Old 06-15-17, 06:43 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical View Post
I've seen people act hyper/active at universities especially during their get-together nights and "party nights" yet those are mostly kids that are undersexed therefore they have the need to "act it out" (histrionic personality disorder) to take out their sexually motivated aggression (i.e. hypersexual disorder). I would think it's a form of attentive (attention seeking) ADHD co-morbid with psychopathic personality disorder with a hint of impulse control disorder.

It's hard for me to believe these kids are actually graduating with narcissistic accolades. Maybe narcissism is the formula to success? Perhaps the professors are as drunk as the kids and both sides are feeding off each other's energies. If teachers fail these kids, it looks like as if the teachers weren't good teachers. It would look bad on the school. Everything is for profit. It's all a form of "exchange". Students pay the big bucks, the school better provide the "key" to the corporate world (aka the diploma). Looks good on both sides.

HOLY CRAP, judge much??

THIS IS NOT AN ADHD PROBLEM. This is some weird messed up stuff sorry to say.
Old 06-15-17, 07:13 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I am very very confused by the original post in this thread. Has it been edited by mistake?

[Mod note: yes, original post was combined with a reply by accident -- oops! -- but the original version has now been restored. - Namazu]
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 06-15-17, 07:25 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

baical:

Kids do the things they do. That fact has nothing to do with any of the disorders you've mentioned.

Disorders are also not related to every action that has a similar name. If I get anxious, that doesn't mean I have an anxiety disorder. If I act in a histrionic way, that doesn't mean I have histrionic personality disorder. And so on. It isn't that simple. Not even close.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
KitCat (10-07-17), namazu (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 08:01 PM

Thanked 23,656 Times in 10,938 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Baical, do you have a PHD in psychiatry/psycology? I'm guessing not since your
post indicates that you're still in school.

Did you know that PHDs who have experience diagnosing mental disorders
Do Not diagnose one person, let alone a whole group of people, based on
overheard discussions at parties. It takes some serious discussion, generally
one-on-one with doctor and patient over some time.

Just thought you'd already caught enough flak over your post, thought I'd
explain what the problem with your comments is.

As far as the last part of your post, I'd agree with that based on stories in
the news in the last few years concerning some students with green
(money) privilege either get away with or get at most a slap on the wrist.
(re Brock Turner)

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical View Post

am i missing something here........i am so confused.