ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-17, 11:13 AM

Scott Draper is on a distinguished road
Erratic dosages

I have a friend with ADD who takes Vyvanse. It has transformed his life, but he struggles to manage his medication properly. He sometimes takes two doses in one day to act as a mood enhancer and that leaves him without medication for days at a time. When he doesn't have his medication, he drifts aimlessly through the day, taking lots of naps and staring at the ceiling.

This pattern is disruptive to relationships and risks his ability to hold down a regular job. I don't know how to be a positive influence on him, because I have no idea what his subjective experience is like. I'm concerned 1) that he feels a need to elevate his mood when taking his prescribed dosage, and 2) that a day without medication is so disruptive. Is there some sort of withdrawal?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 10-05-17, 10:37 PM

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Erratic dosages

Your "friend" needs to ensure that no matter what he/you follow(s) his doctor's directions with consuming the medication, irregardless of personal feelings. There is a period of fatigue initially experienced by most upon cessation of Vyvanse, though not all. Best of luck.
Old 10-10-17, 04:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,892 Times in 13,071 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Erratic dosages

Your friend is misusing his meds. A mood boost can be a pleasant side effect but chasing it can leave you w/o meds and feeling awful.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links