ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-09-17, 01:23 PM
Jr Member

Luisc82787 is on a distinguished road
Possible Adult ADHD

Good Afternoon, So i was recently i got a promotion at my job and they almost didnt give it to me becuase they said that one of my flaws is during hetic situations i talk to fast and super jittery. Also, i have a hard time staying focus. i could sit watch youtube for hours but as soon as it comes to work duties or school i cant focus and think about other things. Also, my house is always messy and i cant do simple things like laundry or dishes without being bored and thinking about other things. i want to see a Dr. but im kinda nervous.
Old 10-09-17, 03:46 PM

kkristin17 is on a distinguished road
Re: Possible Adult ADHD

Seems like you're dealing with hyperfocus when you get stuck on watching YouTube videos for hours on end!

Believe it or not, hyperfocus is actually a really good trait to have, when you can *channel* your hyperfocus into something productive (in my experience, at least).

I think the key is using your hyperfocus for something that you actually care about doing.

This is probably why you don't like focusing on your work (since your work may be uninteresting to you).

Can you find something to do that you're interested in? This will most likely help you a LOT.

If you think you have adult ADHD, then seeing a doctor is only normal. There's nothing to be worried about She will help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to kkristin17 For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 03:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkristin17 View Post
Seems like you're dealing with hyperfocus when you get stuck on watching YouTube videos for hours on end!

Believe it or not, hyperfocus is actually a really good trait to have, when you can *channel* your hyperfocus into something productive (in my experience, at least).

I think the key is using your hyperfocus for something that you actually care about doing.

This is probably why you don't like focusing on your work (since your work may be uninteresting to you).

Can you find something to do that you're interested in? This will most likely help you a LOT.

If you think you have adult ADHD, then seeing a doctor is only normal. There's nothing to be worried about She will help you.
I wish I could look at hyperfocus this way but its always been an impairment for me.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
kkristin17 (10-10-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-17, 02:58 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkristin17 View Post

This sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately for me, my interest in things is kind of unpredictable. I might be fascinated by something one day and bored by it the next and then fascinated by it again a year later. I can't really control when any of this happens and switching between interest and disinterest can be kind of sudden for me sometimes. This is why I have a hard time remaining engaged even in jobs that once interested me. All of this reminds me of this meme which is a little bit of an exaggeration, but not far off:

The problem with so-called "hyperfocus" is that (at least for me) it's unpredictable and can't be relied upon.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
kkristin17 (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I wish I could look at hyperfocus this way but its always been an impairment for me.
To be honest, it's really hard to see hyperfocus in a positive light until you actually figure out a way to benefit from it.

So I felt the same way as you for a very long time.

I also understand that not everyone will be able to benefit from hyperfocus.

It's one of those complicated things that come with adhd I guess.

For example, if I help edit my boyfriend's writing, then I might get into a "flow state" for like 30-45 minutes where I don't actually think about what I'm doing. I'm just doing if that makes sense. I think that's probably a beneficial way to use hyperfocus.
Old 10-10-17, 10:59 PM

Poppn, the meme that you posted is probably the most relevant meme for ADHD that I've seen.

Hyperfocus works really well when you have a strong personal incentive to do something.

My friend is a programmer with ADHD, and he's totally uninterested in his day job, but he can write code for hours if he's coding for his personal projects. He calls it hyperfocusing too.

I think it's all about the incentives.
The Following User Says Thank You to kkristin17 For This Useful Post:
stef (10-11-17)
Old 10-11-17, 03:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,103 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't know if you have ADHD, but what you describe here is a classic ADHD predicament.

To get promoted, you have to pretend you have skills that you don't have--and of course, these are skills that you desperately wish you had.

But you don't wanna admit you lack these skills because ... well, because you couldn't get the promotion and because you don't want to admit you are truly weak in these areas that require timely work and attention to detail.

You can try to get a diagnosis ... and/or you can start the process of finding hacks, work-arounds that would allow you to get the job done.

Look for how to leverage your strengths! Sometimes you can work your strengths so well that the weaknesses diminish. And we can partner with people who help in our weak areas.

Examples: there are athletic coaches and teachers who are incredibly strong cheerleaders and motivators and psychologists--who excel in connecting with their players. There are other coaches and teachers who are really technical and detailed and don't have a lot of charisma and people skills. Both approaches can be successful. And from what I've seen the coaches are who the motivators-psychologists tend to hire an assistant who is the technical person and vice versa, the technical people hire a people person as an assistant.

Good luck.

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
stef (10-11-17)