ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Scientific Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Scientific Discussion This forum is limited to published/presented scientific research, in a quasi-academic format, with references where appropriate; clear and structured discourse is encouraged

Old 10-10-17, 11:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,902 Times in 2,755 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
A new approach to enhancing attention.

Transcranial direct current stimulation has been around a while, with mixed results. However the article and paper i am linking to here show a distinctly promising approach- of aiming to get 2 parts of the attention loop working in sync.

The initial research shows a real effect on executive functions- though it is unclear as to how long it lasts (early results only). I am keen to see how this pans out and how long it takes until clinicians start using it. Clearly this depends on putting electrodes in the right place- so it is not anything that is suitable for self experimentation.

http://neurosciencenews.com/brain-os...function-7694/

Quote:
“These are maybe the two most fundamental brain areas involved with executive function and self-control,” says Reinhart, who used a new technique called high-definition transcranial alternating current stimulation (HD-tACS) to stimulate these two regions with electrodes placed on a participant’s scalp. Using this new technology, he found that improving the synchronization of brain waves, or oscillations, between these two regions enhanced their communication with each other, allowing participants to perform better on laboratory tasks related to learning and self-control. Conversely, de-synchronizing or disrupting the timing of the brain waves in these regions impaired participants’ ability to learn and control their behavior, an effect that Reinhart could quickly fix by changing how he delivered the electrical stimulation.
and the link to the paper can be found on this page:

http://sites.bu.edu/reinhartlab/

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-11-17), mildadhd (10-10-17), namazu (10-11-17)
Old 10-11-17, 12:17 AM

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: A new approach to enhancing attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
Transcranial direct current stimulation has been around a while, with mixed results. However the article and paper i am linking to here show a distinctly promising approach- of aiming to get 2 parts of the attention loop working in sync.

The initial research shows a real effect on executive functions- though it is unclear as to how long it lasts (early results only). I am keen to see how this pans out and how long it takes until clinicians start using it. Clearly this depends on putting electrodes in the right place- so it is not anything that is suitable for self experimentation.

http://neurosciencenews.com/brain-os...function-7694/

and the link to the paper can be found on this page:

http://sites.bu.edu/reinhartlab/
Interesting, I wonder if there are ways of stimulating and synchronizing the same brain areas during everyday life?

Like a child having fun with a primary caregiver at the playground, or going for walk in the forest..?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 10-11-17 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Edit for clarity
Old 10-11-17, 09:37 PM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Interesting, I wonder if there are ways of stimulating and synchronizing the same brain areas during everyday life?

Like a child having fun with a primary caregiver at the playground, or going for walk in the forest..?

M
Yes there are, actually,but if they are specific, they need to be carefully prescribed by someone who knows what he is doing.

Ive just started on a new treatment for my chronic back pain (which is now pretty well localised to about 1/8 of its former distribution).
The treatment involves selective attention to three different sensory stimuli in 3 different limbs, with the changes of attention directed by a randomised metronome called a "Tone Pacer."

This is part of a new area called "functional neurology".

My specific treatment is based on this science :

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...espread_Musculoskeletal_Pain

and this:
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/49/15250.full
"The dorsal anterior cingulate cortex is selective for pain: Results from large-scale reverse inference"

and this:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...5.2015.1100618

"Impact of concurrent cognitive processing on cold pain perception: Implications for pain management and its neurobiological basis"

Its very peculiar- the treatment looks odd to say the least, but it takes less than 90 seconds and causes instant relaxation in the spasming muscle, and relief for over 24 hours. I am betting that if I do it enough I will break the pattern and that will be that.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 09:41 PM

Now having spoken to some of the practitioners who do this I guess the best general activities will be any sport that involves precision movement, preferably outdoors.

Im already impressed with Tai Chi- but yoga would work well or, even, weights- which have to be done with great precision.

Dancing

For children outdoor games with lots of complex movement- but you would need to hunt out the uncoordinated kids and give them lots of training. If they learn in bad habits it will not help them.

both by:

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-12-17)