ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 01-22-06, 03:14 PM

KenB has disabled reputation
Question Opening strattera capsules & question on sleep

I recently stopped taking Strattera because the side effect of insomnia was so bad I was only sleeping about 3 hrs per night and simply couldn't function any more. Going off the meds, basically cold turkey, was no problem. Slept great the first night and everything got better quick. Now, however, I'm back to where I was before I ever started the meds - no ability to concentrate, low motivation.

Realizing that the best day I ever had on Strattera was the 5th day, still at 10mg per day I thought I'd try again and just keep the dosage low. What I have, however, is tons of 40mg pills. I've heard that the capsules can be opened and powder taken out. Has anyone done this for an extended period? How do you take the powder without the capsule, just eat it? disolve it in water or juice or something and drink it? Any advice on this?

Also, should the insomnia return I'm wondering who has had success with strattera and sleeping pills over a long period. Most sleeping meds are only recommended for a few days or 2 weeks max. Are there any that are safe over a longer period?
Old 01-22-06, 04:04 PM
Contributor

SnappyCloud has disabled reputation
Ken,

Until you find an answer on how to take the powder, just take the capsule (with only 10 mg in it) and perhaps save the powder. It is possible that the powder might be too strong for your esophagus. You could get empty capsules (in Russia?) and fill them up later.
Old 06-05-06, 12:02 PM

medstudd is on a distinguished road
Open strattera capsule

Hello,

I am about to open 60mg capsules of strattera and divide them into 20mg doses. I read that strattera is an occular irritant, also the powder by itself is acidic to your esophagus and eyes. So if you open the capsules to divide dosages, I would get empy capsules(which u can get at Vitamin shoppe, or internet) and dump them into it..make sure the dust does not get into your eyes!...let me know how the opening capsules work out!
Sponsored Links