ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-06-18, 11:48 AM

DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
54mg concerta

So for last month i'v been from 18mg to 34mg and i'v felt no effect, Today i first tried 54mg and i noticed a little different, Not a lot, But my focus was a little better, I took this medicatipn at 10am and it weared of about half 3pm, Does the medication seem like another increae is needed

So basically, 54mg gave me a little effect, But only lasted 5 hours (Had no side effects)

I use to take 72mg that worked perfectly fine, Then go increased to 91mg.. and i had no problems at all
Old 06-06-18, 01:20 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,676 Times in 10,400 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 54mg concerta

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. I have taken methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Concerta) in different forms (Concerta, Ritalin, etc.) for many years.

If it works well for 5 hours, it's possible that a booster dose* later in the day (rather than a dose increase) could help you get a longer period of coverage.

If it works "OK, but not great" at 54mg, and isn't causing you side effects, and you've used (and tolerated) higher doses of Concerta in the past with greater benefit, then a dose increase might (also) be warranted. While a dose increase may extend the time the medication is effective for you, you may find that it lasts only a little bit longer, but works better while it's in your system. As always, your mileage may vary.

Do you have an appointment with your doctor coming up? Work with them to adjust the dose gradually to minimize the chances of problems.

*A second dose, either of a short-acting version of methylphenidate (e.g. Ritalin), or of the longer-acting Concerta.

Best wishes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
DarkMaGiicS (06-06-18), Lunacie (06-18-18)
Old 06-06-18, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. I have taken methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Concerta) in different forms (Concerta, Ritalin, etc.) for many years.

If it works well for 5 hours, it's possible that a booster dose* later in the day (rather than a dose increase) could help you get a longer period of coverage.

If it works "OK, but not great" at 54mg, and isn't causing you side effects, and you've used (and tolerated) higher doses of Concerta in the past with greater benefit, then a dose increase might (also) be warranted. While a dose increase may extend the time the medication is effective for you, you may find that it lasts only a little bit longer, but works better while it's in your system. As always, your mileage may vary.

Do you have an appointment with your doctor coming up? Work with them to adjust the dose gradually to minimize the chances of problems.

*A second dose, either of a short-acting version of methylphenidate (e.g. Ritalin), or of the longer-acting Concerta.

Best wishes!

It works! But doesn't work for how i'm expecting it to!
I mean as in, I'm hoping to sit there and focus, sit still ect, But i still can't hardly focus, Or sit still, It helps a little but not much, But i'v been on 91 mg before and it worked perfectly fine, without any boosters

But like i said, It works, But doesn't seem to give me the full benefit! (Also, Had no side effects from the 54mg)
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkMaGiicS For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-06-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-18, 10:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,400 Times in 15,007 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Who prescribes the 72 and 91mg? Cant you just go back to that?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-18-18)
Old 06-18-18, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Who prescribes the 72 and 91mg? Cant you just go back to that?
My mental health doctor. He want's to take it slowly because of the hallucination's i get!
Old 06-18-18, 08:43 AM

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road

Just a thought from my own experience with Adderall XR (the extended release version. Concerta is an extended release version of methylpenidate) did not work for me. No matter how high the dose, it ran out in 5 hours. It might have something to do with my digestive track not being able to absorb it well after a certain stage (just a hypothesis). Regardless, my doc switched me to instant release, and that did the trick. It's a bit a pain since I have to take pills throughout the day, but now I have coverage for the whole day.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImaADHDGuy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-18-18)
Old 06-18-18, 09:10 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
My mental health doctor. He want's to take it slowly because of the hallucination's i get!
Did the Concerta cause the hallucinations?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-18-18)
Old 09-24-18, 03:11 PM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I'm 63 kg and using 54 mg concerta and 40 mg strattera for 5 weeks. But concerta's effect is descreasing day after day. Today it almost never worked. If I drink 2-3 cup of coffee with medicine it works only a little. Nearly all of the side effects of drug has gone but if I drink too much coffee wit med. it makes cardiac problems. Yesterday I didn't take it with coffee and sleeped just after I take the drug. I think it won't work at me even if doctor increases the dose. I had started with 10 mg ritalin at first days of treatment it worked but then it also worked only a little. Is it normal such a quick tolerance? Is there anyone whom concerta didn't work, but adderall worked?
Old 09-24-18, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I'm 63 kg and using 54 mg concerta and 40 mg strattera for 5 weeks. But concerta's effect is descreasing day after day. Today it almost never worked. If I drink 2-3 cup of coffee with medicine it works only a little. Nearly all of the side effects of drug has gone but if I drink too much coffee wit med. it makes cardiac problems. Yesterday I didn't take it with coffee and sleeped just after I take the drug. I think it won't work at me even if doctor increases the dose. I had started with 10 mg ritalin at first days of treatment it worked but then it also worked only a little. Is it normal such a quick tolerance? Is there anyone whom concerta didn't work, but adderall worked?
What you getting tolerance to?
Either your getting tolerance to the effects it gives, Motive, energy ect..
Or your dose is to low.
But the only effect that will last is the focus effect it gives you!
Old 09-25-18, 12:46 AM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
What you getting tolerance to?
Either your getting tolerance to the effects it gives, Motive, energy ect..
Or your dose is to low.
But the only effect that will last is the focus effect it gives you!
Concerta (or ritalin) has gave me zero or maybe only a little motivation since I start to use. At first days I could focus very good what I want, but now I can focus (not as good as starting days) only 1-2 hours and then start to bore and to do something else. Now I have to make an academic work on pc, but after 1-2 hours I start to web surfing (forums, book sites, youtube videos about adhd etc.). But I even can't focus on web surfing and switch one from another.
Old 09-26-18, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
Concerta (or ritalin) has gave me zero or maybe only a little motivation since I start to use. At first days I could focus very good what I want, but now I can focus (not as good as starting days) only 1-2 hours and then start to bore and to do something else. Now I have to make an academic work on pc, but after 1-2 hours I start to web surfing (forums, book sites, youtube videos about adhd etc.). But I even can't focus on web surfing and switch one from another.
Seems like it may be to low for you dude, Speak to your doctor for a increase