ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-27-18, 02:14 AM

DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Taking a break

Hello ADDers/ADHDers!
I take xenidate xl 72mg (Another brand of Concerta), I'v been taking it for couple months now, But my mates are going out this weekend coming up, and they've offered for me to join them, Am i able to have a break from this medication for the weekend? Basically will i get any side effects from starting again after having 2/3 day break?
If you guys know about this medication and i have a chance of receiving side effects they i may not have a break.. just thought i'd ask before i take the chance as i can't handle the side effects
Old 06-27-18, 03:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,448 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking a break

Why do you need to take a break?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-27-18, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Why do you need to take a break?
As i said, I'm going out drinking with the mates. I don't really wanna mix this medication with alcohol, So i want to stop it friday, Saturday be out my system, Sunday hang over and then monday restart it!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-18, 05:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see..I missed the part about going out drinking. I am not a fan of breaks but I get it. Usually occasionally drinking is ok. The thing you have to watch out for is your medicine can make you not feel as intoxicated as you actually are so you could over drink and be in some real trouble. Just be mindful that you might not feel as drunk as you actually are.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-27-18, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Oh I see..I missed the part about going out drinking. I am not a fan of breaks but I get it. Usually occasionally drinking is ok. The thing you have to watch out for is your medicine can make you not feel as intoxicated as you actually are so you could over drink and be in some real trouble. Just be mindful that you might not feel as drunk as you actually are.
Really? I never known to that, So i could already be drunk but actually not feel it?
But am i okay to drink on methylphenidate though? I don't want a break just to come back onto the medication with side effects
Old 06-27-18, 07:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
Really? I never known to that, So i could already be drunk but actually not feel it?
But am i okay to drink on methylphenidate though? I don't want a break just to come back onto the medication with side effects
You should be fine. Its not a guarantee that you wont feel drunk its just something to be aware of so you do not overdo it.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-27-18, 12:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

As long as you drink moderately, it's not dangerous to mix stimulants and alcohol. The danger comes from when the stimulants make you think that you're not as drunk as you are, and then you drink too much.

If you do decide to stop the stimulants, you'll be physically fine, except perhaps being more tired than usual.
Old 06-27-18, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
As long as you drink moderately, it's not dangerous to mix stimulants and alcohol. The danger comes from when the stimulants make you think that you're not as drunk as you are, and then you drink too much.

If you do decide to stop the stimulants, you'll be physically fine, except perhaps being more tired than usual.
Well i get implulsive with my drinking, Once i have the first drink i want MORE and MORE till i'm passout. So i'm not gonna take the medication.

So i shouldn't receive any side effects? Thank god, Puts my mind to rest!
Old 06-28-18, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

There's no major side effects from abruptly discontinuing the stimulants. Your ADHD symptoms will return to their pre-treatment levels of severity. And you might feel more tired than usual.

Idk if you have benzos (or barbituates/hypnotics), but DO NOT take benzos with alcohol! Especially given your tendency to drink excessively.
Old 06-29-18, 09:32 PM

Quote:
There's no major side effects from abruptly discontinuing the stimulants. Your ADHD symptoms will return to their pre-treatment levels of severity. And you might feel more tired than usual.

Idk if you have benzos (or barbituates/hypnotics), but DO NOT take benzos with alcohol! Especially given your tendency to drink excessively.
Totally understand!
I remember forgetting take a dose and my adhd was out of control!

I take resiprdone 6MG at night, Would that be okay?
Old 06-29-18, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I'm only vaguely familiar with risperidone. Why does your doc prescribes it to you? If it's for a psychosis disorder, you should probably take it every night (even if that means staying sober). If it's prescribed on an as needed basis for anxiety/sleep, then you don't need to take it every night.

I'd imagine that the sedative effect of risperidone would add to the sedative effects of alcohol. Idk if there'd be any synergistic interactions.

I know this is an unsolicited opinion, but I don't think you should drink at all if you can't trust yourself to drink in moderation. Stay safe
Old 06-29-18, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I'm only vaguely familiar with risperidone. Why does your doc prescribes it to you? If it's for a psychosis disorder, you should probably take it every night (even if that means staying sober). If it's prescribed on an as needed basis for anxiety/sleep, then you don't need to take it every night.

I'd imagine that the sedative effect of risperidone would add to the sedative effects of alcohol. Idk if there'd be any synergistic interactions.

I know this is an unsolicited opinion, but I don't think you should drink at all if you can't trust yourself to drink in moderation. Stay safe
I take this medication for sleep & hullucination, Doctors not really told me to back away from alcohol with thus medication though