ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-18, 02:14 AM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 74
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Taking a break

Hello ADDers/ADHDers!
I take xenidate xl 72mg (Another brand of Concerta), I'v been taking it for couple months now, But my mates are going out this weekend coming up, and they've offered for me to join them, Am i able to have a break from this medication for the weekend? Basically will i get any side effects from starting again after having 2/3 day break?
If you guys know about this medication and i have a chance of receiving side effects they i may not have a break.. just thought i'd ask before i take the chance as i can't handle the side effects
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-18, 03:34 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,099
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 32,448 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking a break

Why do you need to take a break?
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-18, 04:01 AM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 74
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Why do you need to take a break?
As i said, I'm going out drinking with the mates. I don't really wanna mix this medication with alcohol, So i want to stop it friday, Saturday be out my system, Sunday hang over and then monday restart it!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 06-27-18, 05:00 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,099
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 32,448 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking a break

Oh I see..I missed the part about going out drinking. I am not a fan of breaks but I get it. Usually occasionally drinking is ok. The thing you have to watch out for is your medicine can make you not feel as intoxicated as you actually are so you could over drink and be in some real trouble. Just be mindful that you might not feel as drunk as you actually are.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-18, 05:48 AM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 74
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Oh I see..I missed the part about going out drinking. I am not a fan of breaks but I get it. Usually occasionally drinking is ok. The thing you have to watch out for is your medicine can make you not feel as intoxicated as you actually are so you could over drink and be in some real trouble. Just be mindful that you might not feel as drunk as you actually are.
Really? I never known to that, So i could already be drunk but actually not feel it?
But am i okay to drink on methylphenidate though? I don't want a break just to come back onto the medication with side effects
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-18, 07:15 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,099
Thanks: 5,733
Thanked 32,448 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
Really? I never known to that, So i could already be drunk but actually not feel it?
But am i okay to drink on methylphenidate though? I don't want a break just to come back onto the medication with side effects
You should be fine. Its not a guarantee that you wont feel drunk its just something to be aware of so you do not overdo it.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-18, 12:06 PM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 694
Thanks: 135
Thanked 382 Times in 263 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Taking a break

As long as you drink moderately, it's not dangerous to mix stimulants and alcohol. The danger comes from when the stimulants make you think that you're not as drunk as you are, and then you drink too much.

If you do decide to stop the stimulants, you'll be physically fine, except perhaps being more tired than usual.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-18, 11:31 PM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 74
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
As long as you drink moderately, it's not dangerous to mix stimulants and alcohol. The danger comes from when the stimulants make you think that you're not as drunk as you are, and then you drink too much.

If you do decide to stop the stimulants, you'll be physically fine, except perhaps being more tired than usual.
Well i get implulsive with my drinking, Once i have the first drink i want MORE and MORE till i'm passout. So i'm not gonna take the medication.

So i shouldn't receive any side effects? Thank god, Puts my mind to rest!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-18, 11:51 AM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 694
Thanks: 135
Thanked 382 Times in 263 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Taking a break

There's no major side effects from abruptly discontinuing the stimulants. Your ADHD symptoms will return to their pre-treatment levels of severity. And you might feel more tired than usual.

Idk if you have benzos (or barbituates/hypnotics), but DO NOT take benzos with alcohol! Especially given your tendency to drink excessively.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-18, 09:32 PM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 74
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
There's no major side effects from abruptly discontinuing the stimulants. Your ADHD symptoms will return to their pre-treatment levels of severity. And you might feel more tired than usual.

Idk if you have benzos (or barbituates/hypnotics), but DO NOT take benzos with alcohol! Especially given your tendency to drink excessively.
Totally understand!
I remember forgetting take a dose and my adhd was out of control!

I take resiprdone 6MG at night, Would that be okay?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-29-18, 10:04 PM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 694
Thanks: 135
Thanked 382 Times in 263 Posts
CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Taking a break

I'm only vaguely familiar with risperidone. Why does your doc prescribes it to you? If it's for a psychosis disorder, you should probably take it every night (even if that means staying sober). If it's prescribed on an as needed basis for anxiety/sleep, then you don't need to take it every night.

I'd imagine that the sedative effect of risperidone would add to the sedative effects of alcohol. Idk if there'd be any synergistic interactions.

I know this is an unsolicited opinion, but I don't think you should drink at all if you can't trust yourself to drink in moderation. Stay safe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-29-18, 11:04 PM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 74
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I'm only vaguely familiar with risperidone. Why does your doc prescribes it to you? If it's for a psychosis disorder, you should probably take it every night (even if that means staying sober). If it's prescribed on an as needed basis for anxiety/sleep, then you don't need to take it every night.

I'd imagine that the sedative effect of risperidone would add to the sedative effects of alcohol. Idk if there'd be any synergistic interactions.

I know this is an unsolicited opinion, but I don't think you should drink at all if you can't trust yourself to drink in moderation. Stay safe
I take this medication for sleep & hullucination, Doctors not really told me to back away from alcohol with thus medication though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experienced symptoms of Parkinson's Disease after taking Adderall for a few months Mr. Fox Adderall 15 08-31-13 09:10 AM
Do people find taking a break from meds on weekends helps? dasikins General Medication Discussion 20 02-26-13 07:09 AM
Vyvanse Not Working? heresomewhere Vyvanse 4 10-18-12 08:19 AM
is taking advil or tylenol adderal bad? ajaxkc Adderall 13 05-07-08 01:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums