ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 12-18-09, 12:06 PM

provoloney is on a distinguished road
Anyone happy with Concerta duration after taking Amphetamines?

Not happy with Vyvanse (huge peak hour 4, huge crash starting hour 8 with sadness and depression until hour 13 or so), but don't really know what else is out there. Anyone find Concerta to actually last the 12 hours? Also, how bad is the crash?

Finally, how do you feel the subjective experience is different with Concerta vs. dex/adderall/vyvanse
Old 12-18-09, 11:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone happy with Concerta duration after taking Amphetamines?

I find Concerta to work better than Vyvanse, as far as duration goes. I tried so many doses of Vyvanse and gave it time, but always crashed enormously after a very short period.

With Concerta, I have the same improved focus, but no crash at all later. I have experienced a "crash" at times, but only when I haven't eaten all day. I find it difficult to tell you how long it really "lasts," because the crash doesn't hit me all at once, like Vyvanse. It's a very gradual thing.. Instead of feeling exhausted, moody, and out of it, I just notice at the end of the day that I get distracted more easily, but function well regardless.

I've taken it at 7AM before and lasted through an all-day training, followed by several hours of studying.. So, 10-12 hours seems to be a good guess.

Meds are tricky, though. I had a period where I about gave up on Concerta because I was getting fatigued and moody after about 4 hours, but cut down my dose and found it lasted longer and worked better.

Everyone responds differently, but I would definitely say there's hope for you!
Old 01-11-10, 05:06 PM

BuiltToSpill is on a distinguished road

I used Concerta briefly (27mg) and had to stop after 6 weeks due to persistent heart palpitations and chest pain. But I liked the mental benefits a lot! It was my favorite ADHD drug of all until side effects made it seem inadvisable (better than Straterra, Dextroamphetamine, Vyvanse). Maybe you will tolerate it better than I did.

I tried short-acting Dextroamhetamine and found the crash to be really tough. Now I'm using Vyvanse, which I like OK, but less well than Concerta. The coming down is not so bad. I'm staying with it because my heart seems OK with it. I think the benefits on concentration and distractability were a little clearer with Concerta.

I recommend trying it.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 11:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Veighen will become famous soon enough

I was very happy with concerta after trying dex, rit, and adderal..

Sadly I have to stop it because of some heart irregularities... dizziness and foggy vision

hope it workswell for you
Old 03-15-10, 08:44 AM

cooliscool is on a distinguished road

I had a period where I about gave up on Concerta because I was getting fatigued and moody after about 4 hours, but cut down my dose and found it lasted longer and worked better.
Old 03-15-10, 03:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

concerta in my opinion will last the longest but I don't think it gives the best benefits. If I had to vote , and I have been on both meds long enough to give a response I would have to say if you could time your dose on focalin xr right you would be doing 98% better than the coverage you get on concerta. The one thing about concerta is the duration of coverage . Thats it .
Old 03-16-10, 10:30 PM

C.C. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by provoloney View Post
Not happy with Vyvanse (huge peak hour 4, huge crash starting hour 8 with sadness and depression until hour 13 or so), but don't really know what else is out there. Anyone find Concerta to actually last the 12 hours? Also, how bad is the crash?

Finally, how do you feel the subjective experience is different with Concerta vs. dex/adderall/vyvanse
Ha, wow...me to a tee! It lasted a very short time and the crash was insane! I felt awful my family had to be there to bare the brunt of it.

I went from Vyvanse to adderall. Lots of people said it worked great for them. It made me sleepy. It was the shorter acting one that you take twice a day. I was on 10mg 2x's a day. SNORE! Maybe the does was too low but my doc said it was in line with the Vyvanse dose

On to Concerta...I am on the last day of 1 18mg's and stepping up tomorrow to 2 18mg's tomorrow. So far, no amazing results...a tad calmer a little sleepy but no crash...thank God! I do think it is lasting much longer but cant be 100% sure because I am not coming off it hard like the Vyvanse....Ill let you know how the increased dose goes over the next day or so!

Oh and PS...all these med changes have been within the last month...so the memories are very fresh in my head I will be happy to find something that works!
Old 03-19-10, 04:26 PM

Ravenlock is on a distinguished road

Concerta is definitely the best medicine I have tried for ADD. It is much smoother thand Dex and lasts me all day. I actually get over 12 hours of coverage. I take it at 7:30 am and still feel it after 8 pm.

Guess my only complaint would be that it makes me not want to talk to people. It's hard to explain, I am not in a bad mood, but I just feel like I want to be left alone to do my own thing. Not sure if that is common or not.
Old 03-19-10, 07:04 PM

momoski is on a distinguished road

i tried 18mg of concerta this week. It was the first time i have taken concerta. I only took it two days, but i had the same reaction. I didŽnt want to talk to anyone, and when i had to, it was an effort. I also felt tired, and had a hangover feeling. Kind of like a hangover but without the pain.
Oh yeah, i got no help at all in my adhd symptoms, zero. If anything it made them slightly worse.

I tried vyvanse for a month in january, and the first 7-8 hours would be great. The adhd cloud was finally lifted. I actually could function like a normal person. But, the crash was brutal. For an hour or two i would be angry, agressive, sad, and tired. After that i would be my normal adhd self.

But i live in spain, and vyvanse and adderall areŽnt available here, so i tried concerta.
Old 03-19-10, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chamaleon has a spectacular aura aboutchamaleon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoski View Post
I only took it two days, but i had the same reaction. I didŽnt want to talk to anyone, and when i had to, it was an effort. I also felt tired, and had a hangover feeling. Kind of like a hangover but without the pain.
yes, i took 54mg of concerta a day for 8 months, after six months, i started turning into a zombie, although my concentration was very good.

i also experienced scary heart palpitations, so stopped taking it.

i found that the morning was fantastic, i was in great form and could get my work done. Then at around 2pm when the second part kicked in i would feel very strange, a bit dizzy, and have a fast resting pulse, which i didnt like. also no appetite whatsoever.

when i'd leave the office at 6, sometimes i'd feel very low, really depressed for an hour or so, and not that hungry either. I'd have some soup and go to bed.

36mg i experienced less of these effects - the 18mg yellow pills, oddly are the ones to watch out for.

anything that remotely starts messing with your heart rate though - forget it!!!
Old 03-20-10, 11:09 AM

kitkatt is on a distinguished road

I Was on Adderall Xr for about 2 years and It was wonderful. Gave me motivation, energy, and the ability to focus on one task at a time.

After 2 years it started taking its toll on my body. I had circulation problems, heart beat irregularities, and just a terrible feeling of being on edge. So I stopped the adderall..

I struggled for a while before going back to the doc and getting something else for my ADD. I only have the type of ADD that is the inability to focus. Its like my brain constantly jumps from one thing to the next, in a millisecond and its really hard for me to have a conversation with anyone since I am constantly skipping from one thing to the next midsentence.. Loosing my thoughts, forgetting what I am talking about, and NEVER having the ability to listen to what others are saying without thinking about something else..

However, I don't have the impulse or hyperactivity problems, So based on that I can say being on concerta is helping a tiny bit. Nothing like the adderall did. That worked miracles for me, but the concerta is better then not being on anything. I am able to stay a bit focused and it does slow my brain down a bit so I can get stuff done in an organized manner.

Stratera was the worst. Just totally made me a zombie. I just wanted to sleep all day.

I am hoping when I see the doc again he raises my concerta dosage from 18mg up to whatever the next dose it. Then maybe it will work better.
Old 03-20-10, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chamaleon has a spectacular aura aboutchamaleon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatt View Post
I Was on Adderall Xr for about 2 years and It was wonderful. Gave me motivation, energy, and the ability to focus on one task at a time.

After 2 years it started taking its toll on my body. I had circulation problems, heart beat irregularities, and just a terrible feeling of being on edge. So I stopped the adderall...
much the same situation as this^^ with my Concerta experience. I was actually fine, thriving on it for about 6 months and it was around that amount of time into it that things went wrong.

so i suspect it is the long term affects of this drug that cause the damage, and for Gods sake, people, if it is affecting your heartbeat in any way - stop taking it!!

I have ADHD with hyperactivity too! and it is a problem for me, all the symptoms, but you really have to ask yourself:

1. Do i want to risk damaging my heart in the long term?
and
2. Do I want to risk getting paranoia or depression in the long term?

Quote:
That worked miracles for me, but the concerta is better then not being on anything. I am able to stay a bit focused and it does slow my brain down a bit so I can get stuff done in an organized manner.
when taking these drugs - these drugs are not 'miracle cures' either (even a massive 54mg dose of Concerta like i was on...) and should never be regarded that way.....with all due respect...i really must make that point

Quote:
I am hoping when I see the doc again he raises my concerta dosage from 18mg up to whatever the next dose it. Then maybe it will work better.
if you must take something, i will be honest and say that 18mg does nothing really, i barely noticed its affect at all - until i combined it with the white 36mg pills, which worked well....until several months later, when the pounding heartbeats and evening paranoia began. The yellow, 18mg ones are not the same as the 36mg ones. If you take two 18mg ones, its a different, more paranoid affect than the 36mg ones.

both turn you into a zombie eventually, is my guess, especially the zany, loud hyperactives like me. it switched my 'radar' off completely, like turning off a TV, even though my concentration was better. Someone would say 'Good morning!' and i could barely speak, Concerta 'numbs' your emotions (over time). It wasnt like that for the first six months

i am naturally, the most optimistic, least paranoid person you could meet, i swear it, and that dose opened up a dark, scary world of depressed thoughts when i was coming down in the evening.....this never happened until about six months into taking it, so thats why i dropped it completely long term. Im thinking way ahead here, months, years ahead, and wonder, are the benefits of these drugs worth the darker affects.

sorry if i sound a bit OTT. I wish the best for everyone on here, but cannot help feeling that medication is not the answer for ADHD at all.

stay safe people
Old 01-18-12, 10:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

cillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcan View Post
I find Concerta to work better than Vyvanse, as far as duration goes. I tried so many doses of Vyvanse and gave it time, but always crashed enormously after a very short period.
Same experience here. I just switched to generic Concerta from Vyvanse two days ago and I'm stunned at how long it's lasted.

I assume this could be short-lived, but I'm hoping that's not the case. Regardless, I won't be going back to Vyvanse. That med just made me feel... lazy, I guess. It seemed like even mundane tasks were insurmountable while on V. And no matter how much I planned and prepared for an activity, everything still felt last minute.

The final straw came when my fiancee had to unexpectedly help me move last weekend. I was so disappointed, it was almost as if I had no treatment at all.

Needless to say Concerta is working, particularly when it comes to personal efficiency, forethought and execution.
Old 06-15-18, 05:36 PM

Manuel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Concerta is definitely the best medicine I have tried for ADD. It is much smoother thand Dex and lasts me all day. I actually get over 12 hours of coverage. I take it at 7:30 am and still feel it after 8 pm.

Guess my only complaint would be that it makes me not want to talk to people. It's hard to explain, I am not in a bad mood, but I just feel like I want to be left alone to do my own thing. Not sure if that is common or not.
I feel exactly the same that you feel about being ok with myself and not needing anyone but I'm experiencing this with Vyvanse. On a lower dose I can cope with interacting with people but is not really my wish. With methylphenidate products I don't remember too well, just that it made me happier than Vyvanse does but it was not as effective for my work and the effect, the feeling of it in my system was not as smooth. This week I was going to ask my psychiatrist to prescribe me again extended release methylphenidate twice a day but he thinks it was best to up my dose on Vyvanse morning and afternoon as well and add Guanfacine to extend the effect of Vyvanse and to give a sort of 24h effect but it doesn't. I feel better for taking Guanfacine together but it doesn't extend the effect, it's a different feeling once the vyvanse wears off.