ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 06-09-18, 10:16 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,926 Times in 13,080 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Intrusive thoughts, feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Ruminating is usually caused from anxiety. When my ruminating, obsessive thoughts and anxiety get bad is usually when I experience intrusive thoughts.

Thank you so much for posting that. I rarely have had intrusive thoughts, but ruminating, yes; as you wrote it can be debilitating;and i had thought that I was anxious because I was ruminating but really, it's the other way around! I had never realized this. that just changes everything. recognizing that i'm starting to feel anxious ( for whatever reason, lack of sleep, work etc) will help immensely.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-09-18), Greyhound1 (06-11-18), Little Missy (06-09-18)
Old 06-09-18, 06:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,949 Times in 13,827 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

It's better again. The intrusive thoughts aren't constant anymore and the scenes don't pop into my head that readily (even though I still can't help injuring them up once in a while). I'm incredibly lucky that it didn't last for that long this time. The last two days I was incredibly down but I think that's better again too. I'm feeling slightly better. My in-laws are here, which is actually helping a lot to take my mind off things.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I know at some point I probably need to tackle this more deeply (and sooner than later. I know that the older I get and the more I'll have to face my own mortality the worse these thoughts will become) but for now I think I'm ok. I just want to forget and move on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-12-18), Little Missy (06-09-18), stef (06-10-18)
Old 06-09-18, 06:20 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I'm sorry Fuzz-Buzz

(((((((Wuzzy)))))))

I'm not fully understanding what you're trying to explain (no need to try and further explain it for my sake!)...I may have gone through similar stuff in my past, but it's not something I can relate to currently.

And...OMG! I just found something that we don't relate with! lol that never happens! heh
Oh gosh. You do like puppies don't you?? And guinea pigs? And please tell me you don't hate chocolate??
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (06-09-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,333 Times in 675 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

do you feel that writing stuff down helps?
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-18)
Old 06-10-18, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda View Post
do you feel that writing stuff down helps?
I'm not sure. On the one hand once i write it down it seems to lose a bit of that mystical quality (even though I feel very uncomfortable putting it down almost as if I'm jinxing myself). On the other hand, writing it down seems to be another way of obsessing about it and anchoring it more in my brain. In this case I think it was helpful.
Old 06-11-18, 09:58 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey Fuzz, I'm late to the game and sorry you're going/went through this. It would really freak me out if it happened to me. I really wouldn't know how I would react until I found myself actually in that situation. I would guess I would seek help/support after trying to frame the situation w/ enough objective specifics to help explain the issue to whomever I seek out. I am also aware that there may be an involved process to "see" someone in the UK. Even so, I know in my case preparing a thourough/comprehensive list would help me to put this and possibly other issues in the proper perspective.
  • How long have you have been aware of problems similar to current issue.
  • How many time has this occurred.
  • List each current and past occurrences. Include objective descriptions, what concerned you about each occurrence, duration, suspected trigger w/ your rationale for it.
  • Current/Past meds w/ details for each. Comments, Observations, Problems, Timings, Dosage for each.
  • Details of what "Success" in addressing this/these issues would "look like" to you.
  • Additional items you feel are pertinent or come to you as preparing the list.
Regards, -Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 10:49 AM

Yes, I could do that but then what? Whom would I show it too? My psychiatrist? What could he do? At the most he'd prescribe anti depressants or anti anxiety meds or take.me off stimulants. Also,yes it would take.months to get an appointment.
Old 06-11-18, 11:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi Fuzz, I think after you had taken the time to develop and document "• Details of what "Success" in addressing this/these issues would "look like" to you.", you would show it to your psych or MD and ask them if he/she can help you accomplish this or if not, whom would they suggest that could. -LN
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 04:50 PM

It's back by the way. Not so much the intrusive thoughts but the feelings associated with them. Today was fairly horrible. I think I've figured out what it is too. It's anxiety (probably because I took dex today). But it's not just the normal, overexcited, slightly unpleasant anxiety that I've been getting lately but it's depressed and down in the dumps anxiety.

I wonder if what I experienced over the last few days was just anxiety and then my brain catching on to any negative thoughts or images that it could find, eg the movie.
Old 06-11-18, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hi Fuzz, I think after you had taken the time to develop and document " Details of what "Success" in addressing this/these issues would "look like" to you.", you would show it to your psych or MD and ask them if he/she can help you accomplish this or if not, whom would they suggest that could. -LN
I probably need help. I called my GP's clinic last week and they told me that I was supposed to have an appointment with my psychiatrist in the next six months. Maybe I can request an earlier appointment. I just really don't want to. What would I tell them? I can't tell.thrm about the intrusive thoughts and this stupid movie and all that right? Or maybe I could. Maybe I should. I don't want to. It would beawkward as hell. Not just for me but for the psychiatrist too..I'm sure he doesn't want to hear crap.likw this.
Old 06-11-18, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

there is a lot to be learned from a trigger we might think is simple or dumb. it sounds like there is a lot of anxiety buried in that trigger.

a therapist is a great excavator to get to those buried anxieties and air help air them out. just think, several visits or more could leave you feeling completely refreshed with a new understanding of whatever happened.

as far as awkward, I've put my therapist through a lot more awkward spells than that. you have nothing to fear, they are there to help you live a better life.

if it is stigma that is in your way, well ya that exists. sometimes we can feel like our problems don't amount to a hill of beans related to everyone elses. I can say that isn't the case. one of the first things my therapist said was "I wish a lot more people would come", he didn't just say that to placate paranoia, after going a while and figuring a lot of things out, he was right, just logging on to Facebook sometimes reminds me how right he is.oft times, those sitting on the opposite end of stigma (the ones giving it) are the ones that need it the most.

just by righting a bit you apparently felt a bit of relief, that's like, 1/100 of what therapy does.
stef (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 08:35 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I probably need help. I called my GP's clinic last week and they told me that I was supposed to have an appointment with my psychiatrist in the next six months. Maybe I can request an earlier appointment. I just really don't want to. What would I tell them? I can't tell.thrm about the intrusive thoughts and this stupid movie and all that right? Or maybe I could. Maybe I should. I don't want to. It would beawkward as hell. Not just for me but for the psychiatrist too..I'm sure he doesn't want to hear crap.likw this.
When I see a Doc that I am unfamiliar w/ after a short time I just want to get out of there and my recall is shot. That's OK for "Hey Doc I got sumthin in my eye...", but not for something I am uncomfortable talking about, that is complex for me, and difficult for me to put into words. My approach has been to start a list. For something this complex it would take a bit of time (guess-2 weeks) and a few iterations to get in a final/comprehensive form that I would be happy sharing w/ others. I would expect to start a list, keep it with me to add-to as things come to mind or happen, organize the list, reorganize the list, at some point add a summary, edit/reorganize, add talking points (bullet items), and send to Doc via e-mail beforehand for him to review and make 2 hard copies for the appointment. (1 for Doc and 1 for me.) Afterwards I would update the list/summary periodically so subsequent appointments would not have a big front-end workload. Then send-out, make copies, and review at next appointment. In the end I don't know if the list was much benefit for the Doc, but it helped me to focus on the problem, communicate it effectively. and have a good dialogue w/ Doc.

That is an approach that is effective for me. I donno if it is a good fit for you fuzz, but whatever you do, include all those depressive symptoms you have. Kind Regards, -Tom

P.S. Be sure to spend some time figuring out what "Success" would look like wrt addressing these issue and include it in document. [Threw that last acronym in for you. :-) ]
Fuzzy12 (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 04:04 PM

Thanks Nut. I think I'll try tomorrow to call. If I remember. I'm worried if I tell the psychiatrist about the anxiety he will ask me to stop my stimulants. And I'm really not keen on taking anti depressants. I've tried a few and none worked very well.

Maybe if I take dex every day I will feel better. Maybe it's because I'm taking it so irregularly. I just have how I feel so I only take them whenigoto work but maybe if I took them everyday I wouldn't feel so bad.

What's the acronym? PS? Hah I know that one!! It's from my generation
Old 06-12-18, 06:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

from what my psych told me stimulant meds help with anxiety. so I doubt that.
Fuzzy12 (06-12-18)
Old 06-14-18, 09:43 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Thanks Nut. I think I'll try tomorrow to call. If I remember. I'm worried if I tell the psychiatrist about the anxiety he will ask me to stop my stimulants. And I'm really not keen on taking anti depressants. I've tried a few and none worked very well.

Maybe if I take dex every day I will feel better. Maybe it's because I'm taking it so irregularly. I just have how I feel so I only take them whenigoto work but maybe if I took them everyday I wouldn't feel so bad.

What's the acronym? PS? Hah I know that one!! It's from my generation
Sorry for late response, kinda in/out for the forums lately. Not going to preface everything w/ in my experience, I am not a doctor, this is just my humble opinion because you are aware of that already. This part is just for others that aren't.

You may have comorbid issues. If you do, you and the Doc have to work out the best way to approach them. You two might decide that the best approach may be to not treat the ADHD issue and treat the other first. Then when successful to a point address what symptoms/issues remain. The trick is to communicate ALL of your SYMPTOMS and all of your CONCERNS and make sure the Doc addresses them.

I don't know whether depression is an issue for you or not, but many of the issues you have "talked about" on the forums are related to depression. If it does come to that though, I wouldn't worry about the AD meds per se. The meds are just like the ones for ADHD in that some types work for an individual and some types don't and you just have to find one(s) that work. The difference is that Doc's for ADHD start w/ the ones that are most effective and work their way down. For depression they start w/ the ones that are the least risky and work their way up. This translates into a higher chance of having to try a multiple meds until you find one(s) that's right for you. Not that unusual for your depression to laugh at an SSRI. So as they don't work they'll try a different SSRI, and then maybe an adjunct, then maybe a different adjunct, and then maybe an SNRI, and then maybe a TCA and then maybe a TCA and an adjunct....My point is you may have to go thru more iterations 'til you find something effective, but there are meds that will treat the depression if that is your issue. The trick is to find a Doc that is comfortable prescribing ANY of the AD meds/treatments when called for and not be risk averse such that he/she will do another hand-off at a certain point.(Hope that last one made sense.)

GL and HTH, -LN
Lunacie (06-14-18)