ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 01-11-17, 02:55 AM

Templar1191 is on a distinguished road
Getting re-prescribed concerta after psychosis?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I experienced a psychosis a few months ago. I have been suffering from bad anxiety and ADD all my life, and everything improved when I started 36mg concerta daily 20 months prior to the psychosis.

How likely is it that I can get it re-prescribed? I am an engineer and I really can't get by without it. Basically I'm f***ed; I can't stay awake or focused or remember anything while reading dense technical information I need to do for projects.

How did the psychosis happen? Basically I found that sleeping less helped a lot with my social anxiety. The less I slept, the less anxiety I had, my sense of humour and social aspects of my life improved dramatically. Eventually this resulted in a week of 2hrs sleep/night. I just lost control of it. I honestly thought that psychosis was seeing/hearing things, guess not.

I was admitted to the hospital and put on anti psychotics for a week and then lithium since then.

Had anyone had a similar experience? I'm in NZ.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Templar1191 For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (01-15-17)
Old 01-11-17, 07:22 AM
Th ftr Mr. BllVt

Thanked 16,841 Times in 8,404 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting re-prescribed concerta after psychosis?

Relying on lack of sleep to be more social is very much like relying on alcohol for the same purpose - you think you're funnier and more interesting, but really you just lose awareness of what you're like to others.

The only way to find out is to talk about it with the doctor who prescribed it in the first place.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-11-17), ToneTone (01-13-17)
Old 01-11-17, 07:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,429 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

What dvdnvwls says is absolutely correct.

You think you're coming across well to others. But that's just your own perception brought on by insomnia.

The Concerta may have contributed to that insomnia. Because it's extended release it can be fully active for 8-12 hours. If you don't take it early enough in the day then you will have issues getting to sleep at night.

Perhaps request an instant release substitute instead?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (01-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 09:14 PM

I didn't find the Concerta keeping me up. When I slept less I just didn't have the constant self doubt thoughts in social situations I normally have.

So you guys have seen people get it represcribed after psychosis?

I tried to explain the sleep thing to the doctors. They didn't pay it any attention. The public system doctors here are trash; really sub part so I'll need to go private.

Thanks
Old 01-12-17, 12:49 PM

Thanked 26,216 Times in 11,658 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have a cause for the psychosis then I see no issue with it under a closely supervised doctor's care.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

As you dint seem to have a fear to use concerta again I think you should ask your doc for
a prescription but you need like sarah wrote a mayba monthly supervision and more sleep.
If you can buy hemps CBD-oil legally in your country or can get it prescribed it can work
great against anxiety and stimulants side-effects.

You could try melatonin for better sleeping.

CBD-votary
Old 01-13-17, 05:15 AM

hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. I just wanted to check this, because there seems to be an unwritten rule in public health in NZ that ADD in adults doesnt *really* exist. It's going to cost me a lot to go private but I don't have any choice here.

Basically because the concerta was in my urine when I was bought into the hospital, they ran me through 6 weeks of psychological testing for my ADD, only to tell me its not "Biological ADD" and that its "unethical" to re-prescribe my concerta.

They probably think I get high on concerta. I think it's a problem for a lot of people on here, when doctors dont believe that attention deficit really exists.

Again, thanks for the support... really appreciated
Old 01-13-17, 03:59 PM

Thanked 28,852 Times in 12,910 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

ok, so just to be clear: you had a psychotic break and got put into the hospital and are now on lithium (for bipolar, i'm assuming)?

typically, you can't get re prescribed stimulants until you've been stable for at least six months. some doctors might go earlier, but it likely depends on how stable you've been in the past. if you're new to antipsychotics then i think they are exercising an appropriate amount of caution by waiting a while.

i think you also need to really get a grip on what happened with you. i understand you're attributing it to lack of sleep brought about by dealing with social anxiety, but it really sounds like you had a manic episode with psychosis.

they don't usually put people in hospital without a solid reason. and, as someone who, yes, has had psychotic breaks and been prescribed stimulants afterward, i understand and appreciate your desire to do better at work, but you REALLY don't want to bring about another episode. i mean, i don't know what to say about their not believing adhd exists as it certainly does, but frankly you have bigger fish to fry if you're potentially having psychotic breaks.

try to keep stable on your meds and investigate private care, but no responsible doctor is going to let you be discharged for a psychotic break, put you on lithium long term, and then not ensure you're stable before going back onto stimulants. i have to be stable a *minimum* of a year, personally. and i don't share the lithium situation but i certainly know what psychosis that lands you in the hospital is like and avoiding that is more important than your post suggests you realise...

best to you,
-peri
Old 01-13-17, 04:26 PM
Th ftr Mr. BllVt

Thanked 16,841 Times in 8,404 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

It's usual for a person who has had a manic episode to know - to really know, deep down - that the mania they experience has other non-psychiatric causes. The reasons always sound very plausible, because they are plausible. Except for one thing: people without bipolar disorder (called manic/depressive in the past) never become manic, no matter what happens in their lives.

Lithium helps to prevent mania. Stimulant medications make it worse.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (02-07-17)
Old 01-14-17, 09:09 AM

So you attribute the improvement in humour and confidence etc to just triggeringredients of a manic episode?

My mum regularly sleeps 3-6hrs during weekdays and enters light mania.

I didn't mention that I took some lsd with a friend the day prior to emission, for the first time too. It was stupid, but this bipolar condition hasn't exhibited anything short of manic depression for 25yrz... til it was diagnosed.

If I had bipolar, would it not have manifested earlier?

I have uni work to do and currently I'm getting by with amphetamine. I really don't have a choice here, it's small amounts of ampetamine or failure.

But 20mg of amphetamine over 1 month begins to cause my hearing things after the 4th week. I didn't have this problem with Concerta.

The subject of Parnate was mentioned by the doc, I hear it has some add treatment effects.

I was planning on seeing the private psychiatrist 6 months after the episode as well.

We have to remember that I was using amphetamine for treating my condition for 2yrs before I received Concerta and I had zero problems. All nightEra for exams 4x a yr. Surely this would have triggered mania before?

Thanks KS for your input
Old 01-15-17, 08:45 AM

Looks like i'll be treating myself in the mean time.

I can't study, I can't work and I'm going to descend into despair if I don't.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have this crippling anxiety. The best I can do is take stimulants and do technical work... programming and writing reports.

I don't even have fun on games anymore and I can't watch movies without losing interest.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 01-17-17 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Illegal meds.
Old 01-15-17, 04:09 PM

Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,077 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Won't a manic episode reappear if you don't work out why. If you aren't concerned now you will be. A decent doctor will help tremendously here.
Old 01-15-17, 04:13 PM

Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

The hearing of things means your dose is to high. Don't know if this helps but if you talk to a support agency (mental health) they will know the right person to see.
Old 01-15-17, 04:17 PM

Taking Stimulints, IMO, your always going to get some anxiety. It's something that has to have some professional expertise.
Old 01-16-17, 10:54 AM

Thanked 28,852 Times in 12,910 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar1191 View Post
So you attribute the improvement in humour and confidence etc to just triggeringredients of a manic episode?

My mum regularly sleeps 3-6hrs during weekdays and enters light mania.

I didn't mention that I took some lsd with a friend the day prior to emission, for the first time too. It was stupid, but this bipolar condition hasn't exhibited anything short of manic depression for 25yrz... til it was diagnosed.

If I had bipolar, would it not have manifested earlier?

I have uni work to do and currently I'm getting by with amphetamine. I really don't have a choice here, it's small amounts of ampetamine or failure.

But 20mg of amphetamine over 1 month begins to cause my hearing things after the 4th week. I didn't have this problem with Concerta.

The subject of Parnate was mentioned by the doc, I hear it has some add treatment effects.

I was planning on seeing the private psychiatrist 6 months after the episode as well.

We have to remember that I was using amphetamine for treating my condition for 2yrs before I received Concerta and I had zero problems. All nightEra for exams 4x a yr. Surely this would have triggered mania before?

Thanks KS for your input
i have no idea how old you are, but, so far as i know, you can be diagnosed with bipolar from childhood through most of adulthood. it can manifest at different times.

i don't personally have bipolar, so perhaps you'd be better asking that of someone who does. is the lithium helpful to you? what did the doctor diagnose you with upon prescribing it?

i do "hear things" though and those are called auditory hallucinations, depending on what you're hearing and when. what did/do you hear? is this right before sleep or upon waking or is this a standard, i hear things, sort of situation? this is generally not a good sign and one that you'd want to DIScontinue using what you later refer to as "speed" if it is happening to you.

with your amphetamine usage...so you've been prescribed amphetamines for two years prior to being prescribed concerta and you're taking it now?

i'm confused on your amphetamine usage. please clarify... cheers. xx