ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-17, 12:25 AM
Jr Member

asalem is on a distinguished road
What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Now that I am 100% sure I have ADHD, I would like to know the advantages of having ADHD so I can realize my full potential.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asalem For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-06-17), Letching Gray (01-06-17)
Old 01-01-17, 01:46 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,954 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

There are no advantages to ADHD in any way, shape, or form. Your potential is limited in some areas where other people's potential is not limited, and those limitations are exactly the definition of ADHD.

Your mission, however, is the same as any "normal" person's mission: to know yourself and to live the best life possible.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-17), finallyfound10 (01-01-17), Little Missy (01-01-17), Lunacie (01-01-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 02:33 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,372 Times in 756 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
There are no advantages to ADHD in any way, shape, or form. Your potential is limited in some areas where other people's potential is not limited, and those limitations are exactly the definition of ADHD.

Your mission, however, is the same as any "normal" person's mission: to know yourself and to live the best life possible.
DVD is correct. There are NO advantages to having ADHD despite what others here and elsewhere say. One can be creative and quirky without ADHD as we all know.

Nothing in the DSM is advantageous.

Nothing medications are created for is advantageous.

I want to "Like" this statement 1000 times!! "Your mission, however, is the same as any "normal" person's mission: to know yourself and to live the best life possible."
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-17), Kimberlly1969 (05-13-17), Lunacie (01-01-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-17, 03:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,851 Times in 5,707 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

As dvdnvwls said, none.

ADHD, by definition, is a disorder.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (01-01-17), Lunacie (01-01-17), Pilgrim (01-16-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 08:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Your potential is limited in some areas where other people's potential is not limited, and those limitations are exactly the definition of ADHD.
This idea is terribly sad to me. I would choose to believe you are only limited by your beliefs. ADD/ADHD people just have to get there differently. Find a work around/ coping skill and make it happen. Once you know your dx, you can find a way to cross your hurdles and get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:25 AM

Thanked 5,818 Times in 2,825 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the cold, negative responses?

To say that there is absolutely no upsides whatsoever is a complete fib that is told by people who perhaps haven't discovered theirs or have failed to identify what they are.

Being impulsive isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes choices need to be made right there and then. People who lack impulsiveness tend to be indecisive and unwilling to take any sort of risk. There is no reward when you take no risks at all.

Being inattentive isn't always a bad thing either. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in something, that they fail to see the bigger picture. Somebody who lacks attention to the finer details can be useful in identifying and maintaining the ultimate aim of the project.

There is always a flip side. Things that you consider negative about yourself can be useful in ways that you don't even realize.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-06-17), Johnny Slick (01-01-17), Little Missy (01-01-17), Swissy (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:32 AM

Thanked 19,578 Times in 10,418 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I just want to say how delightful it was to read the word 'fib' love that word.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-06-17), Fraser_0762 (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:35 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Has this thread occured before? Deja vu is in full swing.

(Waiting for a hell of a lot of responses to tell me how wrong I am and how I should be more pessimistic)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-06-17), Little Missy (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:58 AM

Thanked 28,018 Times in 12,957 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with adhd symptoms like impulsiveness and inattentiveness is thst they aren't directed or purposeful. Eg I'm hugely indecisive and almost incapable of making decisions..when needed. I also am inpulsive. I act rashly and lack control over my actions.

I'm not a big picture thinker. I'm inattentive to most details except the few I obsess avout that obscure the big picture for me anyway.

That's just me of course and others might not have these problems. People with adhd can have many skills and talents but they are usually specific to the individual and their circumstances. they aren't part of how adhd is defined..ie you won't find them in thr majority of people diagnosed with adhd.

I'm also not sure why people seem to think that adhd in particular has advantages. I mean you rarely hear anything about the advantages of depression.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Why the cold, negative responses?

To say that there is absolutely no upsides whatsoever is a complete fib that is told by people who perhaps haven't discovered theirs or have failed to identify what they are.
I dont think that people who do not see a disorder as an advantage should be called fibbers- I think realists is a better term.

Quote:
Being impulsive isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes choices need to be made right there and then. People who lack impulsiveness tend to be indecisive and unwilling to take any sort of risk. There is no reward when you take no risks at all.
Just because something isnt bad sometimes doesnt mean its a good thing. People with reading glasses can sometimes read fine if they hold the book up against their noses- but that doesnt mean they think that vision problems can be an advantage.

Quote:
Being inattentive isn't always a bad thing either. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in something, that they fail to see the bigger picture. Somebody who lacks attention to the finer details can be useful in identifying and maintaining the ultimate aim of the project.
I dont think the idea of adhd having advantages is about seeing or not seeing the bigger picture-I think its more about the disorder itself and all the impairments that go with it- which follows along with the guidelines set forth in things like the DSM .

Quote:
There is always a flip side. Things that you consider negative about yourself can be useful in ways that you don't even realize.
No, I dont believe this is true. If something is a negative most of the time to a point where medication is considered a good treatment for it- then looking at the times where it happened to work out is not a way to assess whether its good or bad. I am combined and bipolar. Sometimes when I am slightly manic in the 'up' way I am a blast to be with and I am having so much fun I cant even believe it.
People might say I am the life of the party. Its more like happenstance. Its not that adhd and bipolar are an advantage because sometimes my good mood or wild impulsiveness makes me fun to be around. I wouldnt ever think either is an advantage just because of those things- that would be a kick in the teeth, especially if someone else thought so and they werent me. I would feel invalidated-like my struggles arent really that bad and do not deserve medication because of the odd time or two that things were not a disaster.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 10:08 AM

I'm just sick and tired of hearing that it's all bad and that we're all doomed. I've met many great people with ADHD and yes, they are all different and have different skills and talents. But I often wonder if they would be anywhere near as good at these particular skills and talents if it wasn't for their ADHD.

Without it, they may have just turned out to be bland, average people with nothing that makes them stand out or memorable to other people.

I like people for their quirks and imperfections and get very quickly fed up and bored with people who think life is all about "fitting in" and living the way that our grand overlords tell us we're supposed to live.

I don't expect people to understand me though. Some people just don't want to understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
RextheDog (05-16-17)
Old 01-01-17, 10:13 AM

Thanked 28,018 Times in 12,957 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm just sick and tired of hearing that it's all bad and that we're all doomed. I've met many great people with ADHD and yes, they are all different and have different skills and talents. But I often wonder if they would be anywhere near as good at these particular skills and talents if it wasn't for their ADHD.

Without it, they may have just turned out to be bland, average people with nothing that makes them stand out or memorable to other people.

I like people for their quirks and imperfections and get very quickly fed up and bored with people who think life is all about "fitting in" and living the way that our grand overlords tell us we're supposed to live.

I don't expect people to understand me though. Some people just don't want to understand.
Life doesn't have to be doomed just because you have adhd. I don't think anyone said that.

If you are short sighted life isn't doomed either but that still doesn't mean that being short sighted gives you advantages that you wouldn't have with normal vision.

Also not everyone without adhd is boring and bland and just tries to fit in. Similarly not everyone with adhd is super exciting or extremely free spirited.

Like DVD said adhd limits you in specific areas but you can still develop ... or not develop ...in other areas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-01-17), VoxPopuli (05-06-17)
Old 01-01-17, 10:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think I understand you and I agree with your view on people 100%- I just dont think it can be attributed to having adhd or any other disorder.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Life doesn't have to be doomed just because you have adhd. I don't think anyone said that.

If you are short sighted life isn't doomed either but that still doesn't mean that being short sighted gives you advantages that you wouldn't have with normal vision.

Also not everyone without adhd is boring and bland and just tries to fit in. Similarly not everyone with adhd is super exciting or extremely free spirited.

Like DVD said adhd limits you in specific areas but you can still develop ... or not develop ...in other areas.
People who are short sighted see what's right in front of them even if they can't see what is ahead. People with normal vision often miss whats right in front of them, because they're distracted by what's ahead of them.

I'm not arguing that one is more advantageous than the other. But they do offer different things to different people depending on their perspective.
Old 01-01-17, 10:55 AM

chiefbandit is on a distinguished road

Hey, we gave the world mozart.(Dr halowell also recognised this in his book)add people have some special abilities. You could be gifted in one of but not limited to musical instruments, languages,math, very good eidetic memory,high IQ, drawing and seeing the miniscule details of things other ppl are myopic of , etc.See, you are gifted. Not blowing my own horn here,for me, i find that i excel at storytelling my ideas and feelings through my writings or visualising them via my video creations that are very unique and 'my' style. Not just my notion of myself,i got my bosses and teachers opinions and recommendation letters to boot.i had also abused my knack for languages,passing japanese advanced level n2 in just 1 year time.
though, i admit trying to pass it was like landing at Normandy Beach.

Oh, did i mention about the 'Hyperfocus'? Boy, i abuse it. When i do video projects that i really enjoy in my aftereffects software, the universe becomes warped i tell you, the only spatial awareness i have is of the aftereffects viewports and panels, the temporal awareness is that of its timeline.
dont get me wrong, i am not trying to sell adhd or trying to live in denial that what god dealt me is a great card.Just saying that adhd has its intriguing perks to it. And, one of those days add has its claws around my windpipe,i find solace in its perks.
There is research showing why gifted children dont grow up to becone geniuses. Other than social prejudices, and being unable to fit in, more prominent factor is that they only become very outstanding in their field if they do what they love.
Mozarts need to play violin and compose. Davincis need to paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to chiefbandit For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-01-17)