ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-17, 01:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Riding a bike with no hands: Promoting development of self-regulation

This thread is meant to promote discussion among members interested in non pharma treatment approaches.

(This discussion is not an anti-pharma thread, this thread is meant for members who cannot use or choose not to use pharma treatment approaches)

G
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old 01-07-17, 01:19 PM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

(Question below is meant to promote discussion but not limited to.)

I have been wondering what the differences are between promoting coping mechanisms and promoting development self-regulation?

All thoughts appreciated!

G
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old 01-07-17, 01:40 PM

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Although my ADHD was not aquired I was born with it I am unable to take medication for it. If you're not interested in hearing from people who were born with adhd then just me know tho I do think that excluding such a vast majority is short sighted because our symtpoms are very much the same.

Self regulation does develop in people with ADHD but may never meet the same level as our peers. I have noticed this over time in my own life. Even now, in my 50's I am finding and discovering things about myself that I think "why didn't I put this together 30 years ago?" well, and reallyadhd in a nutshell. That delay in development, of being able to put those pieces together where others do it in a timely way because their brains just work better and more efficiently.

Coping skills is about developing routines, externalizing reminders like post it notes, white boards, to keep yourself on track. I have not heard of any effective means outside of medication to develop or force the development of self regulation. Well, I've heard claims but none of them have so far been backed by real evidence that is encouraging.

That said, I've tried any number of things and likely will continue to as I have no choice.

Here's a good article that touches on your theme very accurately I think.

"Self-Regulation and Barkley's Theory of ADHD" by David Rabiner

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Replaced link to marketing website with link to print-friendly version of article.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-17, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Although my ADHD was not aquired I was born with it I am unable to take medication for it. If you're not interested in hearing from people who were born with adhd then just me know tho I do think that excluding such a vast majority is short sighted because our symtpoms are very much the same.
Nobody is born with developed self-regulation.

Nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 4.

Old 01-07-17, 02:05 PM

ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Nobody is born with developed self-regulation.

Nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 4.

Actually children as young as three have been diagnosed and the symptoms have been witnessed in infants. However, you're right no one is born with a developed self regulation. That's why the word "development" is in there. It 'develops'. People ARE born with impairments in the brain that delay and stunt the normal development. ADHD is a developmental disorder, meaning something is interfering with the normal development of self regulation. That something, results in the cluster of impairments we call adhd which reveal themselves over time as development increases. That's why the delays show up at various ages because when a child with an efficient brain reaches their milestones we notice, hey , this kid isn't. I was born with this something, as others my age reached thier developmental milestones I did not because something in my brain interfered with that process. I didn't eat any lead paint, I didn't have a head injury or a difficult birth, or any of these postulations. Nature just gave me this brain and it is a bit faulty.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-11-17)
Old 01-07-17, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Actually children as young as three have been diagnosed and the symptoms have been witnessed in infants. However, you're right no one is born with a developed self regulation. That's why the word "development" is in there. It 'develops'. People ARE born with impairments in the brain that delay and stunt the normal development. ADHD is a developmental disorder, meaning something is interfering with the normal development of self regulation. That something, results in the cluster of impairments we call adhd which reveal themselves over time as development increases. That's why the delays show up at various ages because when a child with an efficient brain reaches their milestones we notice, hey , this kid isn't. I was born with this something, as others my age reached thier developmental milestones I did not because something in my brain interfered with that process. I didn't eat any lead paint, I didn't have a head injury or a difficult birth, or any of these postulations. Nature just gave me this brain and it is a bit faulty.
Human implicit self-regulation normally naturally develops between the last trimester and the age of 3.

Your right nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 3-4.

Old 01-07-17, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Self regulation does develop in people with ADHD but may never meet the same level as our peers. I have noticed this over time in my own life. Even now, in my 50's I am finding and discovering things about myself that I think "why didn't I put this together 30 years ago?" well, and reallyadhd in a nutshell. That delay in development, of being able to put those pieces together where others do it in a timely way because their brains just work better and more efficiently.

Coping skills is about developing routines, externalizing reminders like post it notes, white boards, to keep yourself on track. I have not heard of any effective means outside of medication to develop or force the development of self regulation. Well, I've heard claims but none of them have so far been backed by real evidence that is encouraging.

That said, I've tried any number of things and likely will continue to as I have no choice.

Here's a good article that touches on your theme very accurately I think.

"Self-Regulation and Barkley's Theory of ADHD" by David Rabiner
It freezes me when you come out swinging in your first post, but I really appreciate the rest of your quote above, as great guidelines for further thread discussion.

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: quote consistency
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-07-17)
Old 01-07-17, 02:49 PM

I came out swinging? Really? I thought I was pretty even toned and reasonable. Perception eh?

So, what did you find interesting and what would you like to discuss?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-07-17), Lunacie (01-11-17)
Old 01-07-17, 03:12 PM

Quote:

So, what did you find interesting and what would you like to discuss?
Differences between...?

-Promoting development of human self-regulation.

-Promoting development of coping mechanisms.

Old 01-07-17, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Differences between...?

Ok, not being an ***, but when you say 'human self regulation" I take that to mean not exclusive to those with adhd but all people everywhere.

IN case you did mean in humans with adhd, so far we don't know how to promote the development of self regulation, medication and external cues are temporary and the person reverts without these supports. If you have found evidence in the form of robust studies using people with adhd to show otherwise, many people want to know.

Yes, we can promote development of coping mechanisms a lot thru education of what is known to work. Like, white boards, day planners, post it notes, getting someone to help you prioritize, allowing yourself shut down time, to name a bare few.

The difference between promoting coping mechanism and promoting development of self regulation is we have known tips and tricks that assist with coping, we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system.
Meaning, it appears to be hard ware and not soft ware. I suppose it's nice to dream tho. I buy lotto tickets.
Lunacie (01-11-17)
Old 01-07-17, 05:39 PM

Quote:

The difference between promoting coping mechanism and promoting development of self regulation is we have known tips and tricks that assist with coping, we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system.
Meaning, it appears to be hard ware and not soft ware. I suppose it's nice to dream tho. I buy lotto tickets.

To answer that we do not have enough information on how human self-regulation develops normally before the age of 3 is short sighted.

Especially when we are discussing a delay in neurodevelopment of human self regulation before the age of 4, don't you think?

Old 01-07-17, 08:04 PM

Re: Riding a bike with no hands: Non-pharmaceutical treatment approaches.

To understand how to promote the development of self-regulation in adulthood, we must understand how implicit self-regulation develops in early infancy/toddlerhood.

Old 01-07-17, 10:36 PM

Quote:
To answer that we do not have enough information on how human self-regulation develops normally before the age of 3 is short sighted.

Especially when we are discussing a delay in neurodevelopment of human self regulation before the age of 4, don't you think?

I never said we don't have information on NORMAL development of self regulation. What I said was, "we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system."

I'm not interested in promoting the development of self regulation in people who do not have deficits because we'd be just as for behind or worse. My interest in in people WITH adhd, and that includes those who lived thru ages 1-4 with the defective brain that caused the delay to show up in the first place.
Lunacie (01-11-17)
Old 01-08-17, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I never said we don't have information on NORMAL development of self regulation. What I said was, "we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system."

I'm not interested in promoting the development of self regulation in people who do not have deficits because we'd be just as for behind or worse. My interest in in people WITH adhd, and that includes those who lived thru ages 1-4 with the defective brain that caused the delay to show up in the first place.

At this time, I am interested in basic development of human implicit self-regulation. (Hypersensitive emotional temperament or not).

Quote:
Differences between...?

Old 01-08-17, 02:22 PM

Re: Riding a bike with no hands: Promoting development of self-regulation

Quote:
Quote:
Now, it does need to be borne in mind that just as genes do not control our destiny, neither does our upbringing. However it is influential and this needs to be understood.

-Kunga Kanga Dorji

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...22&postcount=1
The basic relationship between environment and gene.