ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-18, 04:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,130 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Donating myself to specifically AD(H)D research?

(Not considering passing on any time soon)

Like when people sign up to donate their organs after accidents, etc...

I wonder if there is a place to donate myself specifically to AD(H)D research, before I pass on?

I am wondering if there are specific AD(H)D researchers that conduct this type of AD(H)D research and where I could consider signing up?

Not posting in the science section because, I am wondering more about finding out what organizations exist first, in general, than discussing more in depth about the science they conduct, in this thread.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-12-18 at 05:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 05:20 PM

Re: Donating myself to specifically AD(H)D research?

It would be really neat if their was a place that we could sign up, that internally compared BodyBrainMind AD(H)D research, of all ages, after people diagnosed with AD(H)D pass on accidentally.

Since a lot of human research being discussed here about AD(H)D, seem to be based on external observations.

It would be good to compare internal biological research with the external observations.

M
namazu (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 08:33 PM

Rimalucy has a spectacular aura aboutRimalucy has a spectacular aura about

I think you'll have a hard time finding somewhere to be of 'help' because... these days scientists use a lot of diff. brain scans you've probably never even heard of... and many of them have shown what AD/HD brains look like under many diff. conditions and situations, and as ADD/HD is something that's not a 'physical' condition like appendicitis or heart disease, but manifests when you're conscious (whatever the scans might show about e.g. white matter, etc) and otherwise 'OK' (not sick) I'm not sure how much help your (likely aged) body would give them. But talk to a researcher in neurology or psychology at a university and see what they think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rimalucy For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (06-12-18), namazu (06-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-18, 10:03 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,815 Times in 9,908 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Mildadhd,

I don't know of any ADHD-specific posthumous brain donation opportunities.

However, there are a few places that study a wide variety of brains and developmental issues and disorders. They might do research on ADHD and/or related conditions.

In Canada, there is the Douglas Bell Canada Brain Bank. It is based in Montreal, but they collaborate with researchers elsewhere.

There is also a new initiative sponsored by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research to study donated brains to better understand neurodegenerative diseases.

In the U.S., there is the NIH Neurobiobank.

You can read a little background abut it here: "Wanted: A Few Good Brains" by Thomas Insel (fromer director of the National Institute of Mental Health (part of the US National Institutes of Health).

The Brain Donor Project has more information about donating, from the donor side of things.

Rimalucy, while there isn't anything that's solid enough for diagnostic purposes, a number of brain imaging studies have shown some group differences (on average) between the brains of people with ADHD and those without psychiatric diagnoses. To honor the OP's request not to get bogged down by the details in this thread, though, we can discuss in a new thread if you're interested.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-13-18), mildadhd (06-12-18)
Old 06-13-18, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Mildadhd,

I don't know of any ADHD-specific posthumous brain donation opportunities.

However, there are a few places that study a wide variety of brains and developmental issues and disorders. They might do research on ADHD and/or related conditions.

In Canada, there is the Douglas Bell Canada Brain Bank. It is based in Montreal, but they collaborate with researchers elsewhere.

There is also a new initiative sponsored by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research to study donated brains to better understand neurodegenerative diseases.

In the U.S., there is the NIH Neurobiobank.

You can read a little background abut it here: "Wanted: A Few Good Brains" by Thomas Insel (fromer director of the National Institute of Mental Health (part of the US National Institutes of Health).

The Brain Donor Project has more information about donating, from the donor side of things.

Rimalucy, while there isn't anything that's solid enough for diagnostic purposes, a number of brain imaging studies have shown some group differences (on average) between the brains of people with ADHD and those without psychiatric diagnoses. To honor the OP's request not to get bogged down by the details in this thread, though, we can discuss in a new thread if you're interested.
Thanks Namazu, for putting so much effort into looking into the topics.

I will keep this thread informed what I find out, and decide what to do.

Not sure how "good" my brain is, but they can have it if they want.

M
Greyhound1 (06-13-18), namazu (06-13-18)
Old 06-12-18, 10:48 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,353 Times in 6,869 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll be glad to participate in a brain transplant for a healthy one and they can experiment on mine!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (06-12-18), namazu (06-12-18), psychopathetic (06-13-18), stef (06-13-18), tudorose (06-12-18)
Old 06-12-18, 11:25 PM

Thanks Everyone for your input/help.

I will look more into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I’ll be glad to participate in a brain transplant for a healthy one and they can experiment on mine!
I wonder what we could learn by trading brains with each other?

I wonder if we would slowly return back to ourselves after the transplants, due to individual environmental factors?

M
Greyhound1 (06-13-18)
Old 06-12-18, 11:51 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,353 Times in 6,869 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thanks Everyone for your input/help.

I will look more into it.

I wonder what we could learn by trading brains with each other?

I wonder if we would slowly return back to ourselves after the transplants, due to individual environmental factors?

M
I think we would have to figure a way to swap all our data first to be ourselves in another brain.

That’s a trippy idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (06-13-18)
Old 06-13-18, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I think we would have to figure a way to swap all our data first to be ourselves in another brain.

That’s a trippy idea.
I think your right.

I would have your brain and AD(H)D presentation based on your body and experiences, and you would have my brain and AD(H)D presentation based on my body and experiences.

But because we still keep the same bodies and environments after the transplants, I would be you (in my body) and you would be me (in your body), then my brain development (your previous brain) would be influenced by my environment and body ,and, your brain development (my previous brain) would be influenced by your body and environment.

Laugh out loud.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-13-18 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: Edit again
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-13-18)