ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-16, 04:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Research:Internet Bullies And Attention Seekers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue View Post
Don't be paranoid, but be alert.
That sounds like something a dystopia would say.
Old 01-23-16, 06:38 PM
Forum Guru

Hathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished roadHathor is on a distinguished road

^^^ Huh? I do not understand you snoopy.

I agree with RhapsodyInBlue, paranoia implies fear- why fear bullies? In the bigger picture they are the true losers.

OTO hand to remain vigilant is certainly a good idea.
Old 01-23-16, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,278 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
Sooo... Wow! Great info! Thank you so much for the OP!

I'm feeling really conflicted, though. Am I one of these people? Am I an attention seeker?!

Here's some background on me. Trying not to throw all my issues out here at once: I grew up having to analyze everything, including myself -- always doing self-reflection -- in order to avoid certain types of conflict with my mom and step-dad. Really don't need to go into it as I've spent years in therapy and feel like I've relatively appropriately dealt with my past. But having said that, I have spent most of my life not talking much -- the kiddo in the last row and last column so I could have a corner seat. I wanted to be able to see everything/everyone, wanted to have as few people sit by me as possible, never raised my hand to answer a question, dreaded public speaking and break out in hives -- literally visible red marks on my neck and chest, so I avoid it like the plague. We moved a lot when I was a kid, but in high school we stayed in the same spot. and I had one friend with whom I still keep in contact and love dearly. Really don't know what I would have done without her.

When I was younger -- not my childhood; I'm talking more young adulthood to about age 30 -- and I felt like I connected with someone, I hadn't quite dealt with childhood abuse yet, so I was like a floodgate. It was really like a train wreck -- you don't want to look, but you can't look away. As I've gone through many types of therapy and have really, really worked on myself and also mellowed out with age a bit probably -- hopefully? -- I've learned to keep that part of me at bay.

With the cyber world, however, it's much easier for me to put a part of myself out there with the barrier of my computer without breaking out in hives.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with cancer -- completely blindsided as I've never smoked or done drugs, used to run on the cross country team when I was in the military, still relatively young (I have a six-year-old), blah blah blah. You get the idea -- I tried to be healthy. I went through surgery, chemo, radiation and Herceptin treatments and am still on a follow-up medication. Afterwards I looked at life differently, with a zest for living in the present with the ones I care about as well as finally taking care of myself, paying attention to myself and my body -- a whole new meaning to carpe diem.

I have always had issues with concentrating and, well, the other things I've mentioned in the other posts I've put on the forum in other sections, but after chemo it was like they were exacerbated. I decided to see if there's something more than just "chemo fog" as it's called going on with me, so I decided to speak with a therapist and she suggested I get tested. Just got the paperwork back a few months ago, but my hubby just deployed and I've been in the middle of a move, so I haven't been able to do anything with it yet. My son and I are just now getting somewhat settled, so I've TAKEN -- something that's hard for me to do -- the time to research his findings for me. Although it doesn't say in the paperwork the actual word "diagnosis," in his write-up he discusses OCD, ODD and ADHD for me.

Hereís the point of this background (wow, much longer than I intended -- I'm sorry): So when doing my research on ADHD, I found this forum Ė a place where I finally may have found people like me. In trying to find answers to so many questions that I have, I've probably thrown myself out there a little too much, as I used to do when I was in my young adulthood, albeit on rare occasions. That being said, I see my postings as looking for answers, trying to find people with whom I have something in common, etc., but would I even know if my amount of posting is definitively inappropriate? I feel like if I have a question and I donít ask Iím just going to explode. Basically, though, are my postings attention-seeking behavior? Is there some sort of test for that (If you do such and such-type questions/inventory)? If any of you think that it is that type of behavior, would you tell me? You can be honest. I canít fix it if I donít know that itís a problem.
I don't think so. If posting helps you then that means that this forum is doing its job. Don't feel guilty about posting please. It's not attention seeking. It's seeking something, i guess, maybe answers, maybe support, maybe company, but I don't think it's attention seeking.

(Also your posts don't sound attention seeking at all.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Gryphonfyre (01-23-16), Lunacie (01-23-16), midnightstar (01-23-16), namazu (01-23-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 07:44 PM

Gryphonfyre is just really niceGryphonfyre is just really niceGryphonfyre is just really niceGryphonfyre is just really nice

Phew! Awesome. I was thinking about it after I posted this one -- analyzing why I seem to go into overdrive with blinders on. Perhaps, more than anything, it's validation, acceptance, encouragement that what I'm going through is typical for someone pre treated... I feel better now, though, so thanks, Fuzzy12!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gryphonfyre For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-24-16)
Old 02-23-17, 08:50 PM

Nelson1967 is on a distinguished road

Mine started as a kid so I differ Hear