ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-17, 12:09 AM
Jr Member

Bacon & Eggs is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I do not tell anyone unless necessary people are too quick to put a label on you and put you in a box marked "broken" or "talk to me like I am slow"

I did have to throw down at work and have my Dr send them a friendly reminder to mind their own biz and stop using my quirks as a tool for character assassination.

I have been on Ritlan/Conserta for almost 23 years now.

Aaron.
Old 10-31-17, 03:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,240 Times in 14,339 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason I do not tell most everyone is I dont need anyone to go fishing for info about if I take meds for it. I also do not want to let it slip out that I take adderall because I have had someone ask me for some before and this was an extended family member. I thought I was safe to discuss it since I see this person twice a year or so on holidays but lo and behold the next time I saw her, I was asked if I had any extra. I cant repeat here what my answer was but I can say it was epic, concise, direct and oscar-worthy!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Bart1992 (03-12-18)
Old 11-13-17, 05:05 AM

Mr. Assertive24 is on a distinguished road

I only tell the people close to me or the women I like that I am dating. For example, just recently a girl was like "you are very disorganized and I am not used to that". She is an athlete at a university. I am two years older and I am not in University. I will tell people like this my condition because I know myself and I know deep down I am a hard worker who just happens to get fixated on other stimuli that are very, very, rewarding right away
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-17, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I have shared that I have ADD with my family, but it's been long forgotten because no one in my family was able to understand what it was. With every symptom they would just say, "well everyone has that." Very, very frustrating. With friends there is a similar phenomenon, they either think you're being very hard on yourself or that your talking about garden variety forgetfulness. This is just my experience. Disclosure has made me feel more alone than not saying anything at all.
Old 11-30-17, 05:50 AM

gekkehenkie is on a distinguished road

I'm talkative and overshare, so yes, I told way too many people (including my employer). Got responses like: "I already knew that", "Does it bother you", "so thats why I need to keep reminding you", "now I understand why you start fast, work fast and don't finish longterm projects". I received a lot of understanding and the occasional "you've worked to hard, it's probably depression of burnout". In the end I'm happy I was and am open regarding this, since it cuts me some slack when I'm having a bad day.
Old 11-30-17, 10:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from everyone in your business my main issues are having our success undercut by this disorder. As if the creative ad exec couldnt have nailed that presentation without adhd. Or the reverse: "dont give that project to Sarah, with the adhd she will never get the details right."

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Bart1992 (03-12-18)
Old 01-20-18, 01:40 AM

YubNub13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraylady33 View Post
I am curious?
Does everyone in your life circle know you have AD/HD? If you found out as an adult, have you told people?
I have read a lot on these forums, about people leary of telling employers..I would agree, not because I think its a bad thing, I think people are ignorant to their own standards, and feel you must astain a certain social ethic in the workplace, and obviously how could this be done if you had ADD?
Well I am here to tell them all..that is crap..I may not shout from the roof tops..but I just passed my last set of boards, and I am off the hook ADD! I am practicing, have had to issue getting liability for my practice, and feel proud to have accomplished this..those initials behind my name, were a proud moment..but now its the real world, and those who suffer more than I.
But I am curious..if you have ADD, like I do..do you hide it from those you are closest too..you see my husband knows me no other way..so is this what it is like for others? My daughter has ADD, and of course we act just alike, but he does not know I am on meds. He thinks I am just me..the girl who has to have the pillows neat, and the floor vacumed, three times a week.
So, if you don't say anything, would they notice a difference on meds? maybe?
Don't get me wrong, he could care less..we've been together 20 years..and not once has a day gone by, he doens't smile and say..YEP..thats why I love ya(for whatever random thing I am doing).
So, if you feel you can...let me know..do you share?
I personally prefer to tell people. My ADD/ADHD is beyond horrible. I'm forgetful along with a horrible memory in general and have bad anxiety that goes with it. So for people to know, it helps me a bit especially when I do or say something I wish I hadn't lol. I've learned that by letting people know, that more people than I thought go through the same thing and understand what I'm going through and it's nice.
Old 01-29-18, 09:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YubNub13 View Post
I personally prefer to tell people. My ADD/ADHD is beyond horrible. I'm forgetful along with a horrible memory in general and have bad anxiety that goes with it. So for people to know, it helps me a bit especially when I do or say something I wish I hadn't lol. I've learned that by letting people know, that more people than I thought go through the same thing and understand what I'm going through and it's nice.
Well I am glad that works for you. I would NEVER tell an employer. Most states are at will states meaning they can fire you for whatever you want. And Just having this disorder doesnt automatically qualify you for disability accommodations. There is a process involved for that.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-29-18, 12:34 PM
Committee Member

Bethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Well I am glad that works for you. I would NEVER tell an employer. Most states are at will states meaning they can fire you for whatever you want. And Just having this disorder doesnt automatically qualify you for disability accommodations. There is a process involved for that.
I agree with this.

People say, "They can't do that!" but they do do that. Sadly, I saw that happen to someone.

Of course the employer isn't going to admit it's because of ADHD. They'll just cite another reason instead, to cover their own butts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylphenidate For This Useful Post:
Bart1992 (03-12-18)
Old 03-14-18, 02:11 PM

SuperSparks will become famous soon enough

I don't like telling people. I'm not ashamed or anything of the sort. I just don't find it to be people's business. I used to think it was a good idea to tell my former partners whilst in a relationship with them, and I still do, but I have had the odd case of them using ADD against me which was just an indicator to make an exit from something bound and destined to ooze with toxicity.

If you dont have to share the information, don't. That's my rule of thumb.
Old 03-31-18, 11:37 PM

soupinapotato is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarywhisper View Post

My wifes only hesitation on me starting medz was that it might remove/alter some of the man she has loved for 30 or so years. When I suggest it would likely only removed some the obnoxious parts of me so I'd be less of an **** she asked what if those turn out to be the parts she fell in love with? I love her
I know this thread is 100 years old, but I just found it, so.... My best friend was so concerned about me getting treatment because he loved my ridiculous tangential stories, and was worried this would put an end to them. It turns out it hasn't. I can just tell bigger ones, with more tangents, and remember to wrap all the loose ends back up!
The Following User Says Thank You to soupinapotato For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-09-18)
Old 04-04-18, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

At first I started telling people, because I was feeling like, "Wow, I'm not crazy, I'm not stupid, I'm not lazy (at least, no more than most people)!" But I found that most of the time it doesn't help to tell people. They don't know how it feels to go all your life wondering what's wrong with you, and then finding out why, and often it comes across as an excuse (even though I didn't mean it that way).

But besides that, in the country I used to live in, everyone thinks they know what AD(H)D is - I thought I knew, since I grew up with an ADHD brother, but I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did. Most people haven't researched it, they just have all kinds of misconceptions about it. So usually telling people seems counter-productive.

In the country I live in now, most people don't know about learning disabilities or neuro-biological disorders at all, let alone ADHD. So explaining it would be a total pain, and wouldn't help at all.

I do usually tell people I have to work or live closely with. They might as well know why I keep forgetting things or not noticing things or getting distracted.

Otherwise, if I feel the need to say something, I mention the symptom, like, "I am quite absent-minded, so I have to be careful not to forget things" - for example, if someone notices how I gather all my stuff by the door an hour before I have to go somewhere, for fear of forgetting them.
Old 05-09-18, 05:18 PM

hipsterdoofus is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed as an adult and told my mom, best friend, and coworkers/boss. If I worked anywhere else, I highly doubt I would have brought it up but my workplace is small (fewer than 10 of us) and we're all close friends so I felt assured it wouldn't affect me negatively.