ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-18, 04:24 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to behold
How do you task-switch efficiently?

I never get up with ambition...nothing drives me. Have been this way all my life with very few exceptions. Going through a required house move, when I don't have a place to go with space, is making it worse.

Most days, I can do one thing, then I struggle to do the next. Priority setting is vague - I'm a bit at the mercy of a friend who houses me in exchange for maintaining house and vehicle. Teenagers involved, so the maintenance can be quite interruptive (the 14 year old needs to be fetched from school to see the doctor). But even without interruptions, I struggle.

So, if I get something done, then I muse for like an hour on the 'best way" to do the next thing or what the next thing should be. I have a list of many dozens of things to do, but if none look like they can be done in one sitting, I struggle.

And I really don't like picking up the phone to make calls, don't know why.

Anybody else feel like this, and if so, how do you overcome it, if only temporarily?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-21-18), peripatetic (05-21-18)
Old 05-21-18, 05:20 PM

Thanked 34,031 Times in 15,408 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you task-switch efficiently?

can you break up your tasks into things that CAN be accomplished in a sitting?

with the phone, i hear you...no tips there except to have someone else make the calls for you, if possible.

switching tasks is super hard for me and i haven't found a workaround that doesn't involve setting timers, making lists, and working with an occupational therapist to create the lists and have them be reflective of the timeframe i put on the items. so, for example, my approach is to say everything takes an hour. this is disastrous because things that take far less, i get distracted doing something else before the next thing comes up or when it takes far more i get discouraged and flustered as i'm off schedule. and once off schedule, i feel like i can't get it back.

so, not a lot of tips...timers...reminders to do xyz that you won't ignore. an accountability buddy... these things have worked for me in the past, though they're more likely to work if i'm medicated.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-21-18)
Old 05-22-18, 08:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

With everything Ive got going on in my life now including the usual errands ("mom I need xyz for school" and PT/normal errands and of course the Becca drama- I look forward to relaxing way too much. Nothing makes me more happy lately than knowing after I get Ella to school and Jake off to work I get to drag my stuff out on the deck and put my feet up to tool around here or read. I get to watch my birds at the feeder, bath and birdhouse. Saw a humming bird- only 1 and I hope it comes back. Got my garden in..this year: Heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, cucumbers, zuchini, basil and parsley. Have to find some kind of organic pestiside to keep the pests away. My life is lame yet simple in a good way. Problem is I like it too much, I feel entitled to the rest even though I have dishes in the sink, floors to scrub and an overflowing hamper.q

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-18, 06:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,333 Times in 675 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

no matter how smart I am, I have to break any task into subcomponents.

I have to write each task down as precisely and noncomplex as I can

with cleaning, that would mean on my "action plan" I put down

Cleaning: Aesk,B: Keyboard,C: floor,D: Bed. I do this for every single task

task switching is, well for me anyways, the ability to link up Desk for A, Keyboard for B, floor for C and Bed for D. I can then just think or say " A" and I'm all about cleaning the desk" or C" then I'm all about cleaning the floor.
Old 05-23-18, 10:05 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Make a list, work the list, review the list. May have to add an item to Remember to review the list and one for maintain the list. -LN
  • Start w/ "high level" G&O (time frame can be 5, 10, 20, 30 years whatever you want). (Work is as good as anyplace to start...) Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Then for each break into "next-tier" parts (most will still be somewhat general) Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Then for each break into "next-tier" parts again. Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Continue w/ each G&O until you get to specific tasks. Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Review list for timing conflicts and adjust timings appropriately so workable.
  • Pull a separate list of specific tasks and reorder them based on completion timing.
  • Then guesstimate an initiation time to each one. Reorder task list based on initiation time.
  • Work the list.
  • Review the task list often.
  • Review Overall G&O list(s) periodically and rejiggle as needed.
Keep the list with you and keep it "living".
Old 05-23-18, 06:15 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Make a list, work the list, review the list. May have to add an item to Remember to review the list and one for maintain the list. -LN
  • Start w/ "high level" G&O (time frame can be 5, 10, 20, 30 years whatever you want). (Work is as good as anyplace to start...) Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Then for each break into "next-tier" parts (most will still be somewhat general) Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Then for each break into "next-tier" parts again. Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Continue w/ each G&O until you get to specific tasks. Add timing requirements (may be arbitrary or hard) next to each.
  • Review list for timing conflicts and adjust timings appropriately so workable.
  • Pull a separate list of specific tasks and reorder them based on completion timing.
  • Then guesstimate an initiation time to each one. Reorder task list based on initiation time.
  • Work the list.
  • Review the task list often.
  • Review Overall G&O list(s) periodically and rejiggle as needed.
Keep the list with you and keep it "living".

What is "G & O"?
Old 05-23-18, 10:59 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,074 Times in 7,505 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not very efficient at switching tasks at all usually. Well...unless I'm switching from a task I hate into a task I love. Then I'm AWESOME at switching!!

I've never been good at keeping lists (I'm interested in what G&O stands for too!). I keep trying hoping that eventually I'll stick with lists...I just never do. I'll keep trying though!

What works for me...is deadlines. But I hate deadlines! I dread them and get worked up about them and can get physically sick about them.
And when I do have deadlines, I usually don't get what needs to be done, until just before the deadline. Like the night before!
It's super stressful, inefficient and not something I'd recommend to anyone.

But it does work. I mean when all is said and done...I do typically get things done because of the hard deadline.

Wish I had better advice for you!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 05-23-18, 11:00 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,074 Times in 7,505 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresMyMind View Post
What is "G & O"?
Oh!

Is is Goals & Objectives?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 05-24-18, 06:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Quote:
So, if I get something done, then I muse for like an hour on the 'best way" to do the next thing or what the next thing should be. I have a list of many dozens of things to do, but if none look like they can be done in one sitting, I struggle.
One tip I got recently from a book is that it is better to be taking any action on your to-do list than to only think about taking action. Of course, prioritizing and doing things efficiently would be nice, but even inefficient work is better than nothing. When I get stuck wondering what to do next, I just pick a task and do it. Later I might realize that the one I chose maybe wasn't the highest priority, but at least I got something accomplished.

Also I find it helps to break up tasks into things that can be done in one sitting. As the old saying goes, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! So for example, if you were a student and had a book to read for class, divide up the task and read like one chapter at a time, or 5-10 pages, or whatever is reasonable for you to do in one sitting, rather than saying "I need to read this whole book." Or if you need to vacuum the house, instead of just saying to yourself, "I need to vacuum the whole house, oh man, what a huge job," try vacuuming one room at a time. Even if you don't get to all the rooms, at least you got some of them done.
20thcenturyfox (06-07-18)
Old 05-24-18, 07:47 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
What is "G & O"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Oh!

Is is Goals & Objectives?
Yes it is psych. WMM/Psych, pls excuse any confusion. -LN
Old 05-24-18, 08:00 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Back in the day if I heard someone talking about their day like "oh I did this and this and I still have to do this and this other thing" I would have a panic attack and start crying because I didn't understand how they could manage those tasks and fear that at some point I'd have to try to do tasks. The thought of having to do something BEFORE doing something else was horrifying to me. Or, god forbid, you ask me where I would be in x years. I was paralyzed by fear basically. When I say I was non functional I mean non functional.

What helped me (aside from much needed medication) was getting something into a routine and mindfulness. I have so many illnesses I can't really tell you what is caused by what so the routine may be the ASD. But I got a part time job working a few days a week. So i got used to that. Slowly took on more tasks at work. I wouldn't think about what ELSE I had to do. Nothing after work. No next task. One thing at a time. This is where mindfulness comes in. Washing the dishes? Brain says "washing the dishes". No before, no after, only present. You exist now and only now. Once I had establish a routine I slowly added in more things. More hours at work. More after work activities. And eventually I got to the point I am where I can juggle infinite tasks like a pro.

And yes, I no longer completely break down and cry when someone presents me with a list of things to do or asks me where I picture myself in 5 years.

Lists are a great idea. I just end up never using them. I can hold everything in mah noggin'. Unless I'm doing something like creating a database from scratch. I needed paper for that one.

Phones? Sorry you're just screwed. There are phone people and there are not phone people. I am a not phone person. Even rehabilitated I despise it. Best of luck on that one.
Old 05-28-18, 02:03 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Yes it is psych. WMM/Psych, pls excuse any confusion. -LN

What is the difference between goals and objectives?

And...how do I get out of mundane-ness long enough to create any? And how do I make those with meaning?

Part of my malaise is lack of meaning in life.
Old 05-29-18, 11:59 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
What is the difference between goals and objectives?
Goal is longer term maybe somewhat fuzzy where you want to be.

Objective is a waypoint along the way to a goal. Normally more objective and have a date associated with.

Quote:
And...how do I get out of mundane-ness long enough to create any? And how do I make those with meaning?
You have to figure out exactly what this mundane-ness is, is it part of a bigger personal issue and how that issue is normally addressed.

Quote:
Part of my malaise is lack of meaning in life.
Good starting point to define what the mundane-ness "is" & "isn't"

Hey WMM, The following would be a starting point to help you frame your issue(s).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychomotor_retardation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

If you can't muster the energy to even review the following and start investigating, that would be very telling. That would be the problem to start seeking help from a professional for. HTH, -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-29-18), LyrinMeow (05-29-18)