ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 06-08-18, 05:12 PM

Tgrmom is on a distinguished road
Just diagnosed, med question

So we have been diagnosed and we are wanting to start meds this summer to have it worked out by the school year. His school has suffered big time this year due to his distractability. So Iím finding out our insurance sucks. Most meds are well over $200 per month. They only two that are cost effective are Adderall and Ritalin. Is it wrong of me to want to start with the least inexpensive meds and work out way up in cost of those donít work??
The Following User Says Thank You to Tgrmom For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-10-18)
Old 06-08-18, 08:07 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Just diagnosed, med question

I personally think it's wrong that our healthcare system in this country forces us to make these decisions. That being said, you're doing pretty much exactly what I've done, so I see nothing wrong with it.
Lunacie (06-10-18)
Old 06-09-18, 05:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,189 Times in 14,310 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not wrong, They are two of the most reliable, long term drugs on the market. These newer ones are not necessarily any better and they only serve to make money for the pharm companies.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-10-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light

I just had to switch 2 meds because of the cost. You should also check out the free prescription plans. GoodRx is the name of one I believe. I had the info texted to me for the pharmacist and for my Adderall it went from 140 down to like 70. So have your pharmacist check your prescription coverage against one of those plans to be sure you are getting the best deal.
Old 06-11-18, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

M insurance said it wouldn't cover concerta, we had to start with 2 cheaper ones first.
Old 06-11-18, 11:03 AM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrmom View Post
Is it wrong of me to want to start with the least inexpensive meds and work out way up in cost of those donít work??
It's not wrong. Those are tried and true first line medications.

The only thing I would caution is that the immediate release medications often need to be dosed multiple times throughout the day. This might mean that your kid would have to go to the school nurse. Some kids find it embarrassing, which is part of the reason why extended release meds increased in popularity.