ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-17, 06:26 PM

yADD11 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Thank you for your post!

I was looking for a for a Stack Exchange type forum where people can ask questions and the best voted answers appear at the top of the post.

Math Stack Exchange turned out to be a great success with numerous brilliant proofs and answers to difficult problems. The best part of it is that one does not need to surf through pages of posts to find the best answer to a particular problem.

I am sure that many adults with ADD have polished some ADD survivals skills to near perfection and are willing to share them with others.

I have only discovered that ADD is a thing and can be treated when I was 34. Most of the tips and strategies I could find in most ADHD books seem pretty obvious to anyone who have lived with ADD for more than 10 years.

I think it would be nice to see some brilliant answers to some difficult problems about life with ADD. I have plenty of questions I would like to see a non-obvious solution to. Is anyone else interested or aware of such forum?

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for posting such a long reply. I do realize that most viewers will not read pass the first paragraph.
The Following User Says Thank You to yADD11 For This Useful Post:
hyper-not (02-18-17)
Old 02-18-17, 08:56 AM
Jr Member

hyper-not is on a distinguished road
Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yADD11 View Post
Thank you for your post!

I was looking for a for a Stack Exchange type forum where people can ask questions and the best voted answers appear at the top of the post.
I like the idea of this kind of forum. I never knew what they called it. I would certainly be one to peruse, and maybe even contribute to something like this.

It seems though, that beyond the standard list of strategies, we all seem to be different in what works for us. So, even though there might me a 'best voted answer', there probably isn't a 'best answer' or even a best 50 answers.

For me, its really whatever technique I can form into a habit before the novelty of it dies and I lose interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to hyper-not For This Useful Post:
Ronelh (05-10-18)
Old 09-14-17, 06:41 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I worked with a career coach many years back. I got a lot of strategies from her. An article was done last September in which she revealed some tips to help us. Here are the ten, including a hand full of others:

1. Have a planning session each week. Use a weekly and daily planner and write down important deadlines or appointments.
2. Carry a small notebook with you and capture info you can later put on your calendar.
3. Carry a phone, notebook or PDA to all meetings.
4. Time limits make unpleasant tasks bearable. Give yourself an hour time limit.
5. Balance your day. Schedule enjoyable tasks between the ones you aren't thrilled about.
6. Break large tasks into chunks of 30 minutes.
7. Turn off phone, close doors and limit distractions.
8. Avoid over-planning. Once you have a plan, act on it.
9. Keep your day structured to avoid impulsivity or taking on extra responsibility.
10. Bookend your workday with 15 minute morning and night planning sessions.

Tips For Minimizing Workplace Distraction
H****** said everyone can benefit from these tips
  • Wear headphones
  • Set your computer to retrieve e-mail once an hour.
  • Use a timer each time you go online
  • Handle e-mail, calls and schedule meetings at a set time each day.
  • Respect your schedule.
  • Schedule time to work on involved projects when you are less likely to be interrupted.
All if this works for people that dont have ADD-PI. Thats the problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-17, 01:26 AM

spacegrrl is on a distinguished road

These are great suggestions. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can tell my boss and coworkers about my ADD. I bought huge headphones and have told people that when I have them on to please not talk to me about things unless it's urgent. I've asked that they email me, even when I'm sitting right next to them. Playing music has the added benefit of keeping me from joining conversation that I'm not a part of. Because we all have lots of things to say about everything and it's hard to filter out thoughts that don't need to be said, amirite?
Old 10-10-17, 12:09 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,240 Times in 14,339 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegrrl View Post
These are great suggestions. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can tell my boss and coworkers about my ADD. I bought huge headphones and have told people that when I have them on to please not talk to me about things unless it's urgent. I've asked that they email me, even when I'm sitting right next to them. Playing music has the added benefit of keeping me from joining conversation that I'm not a part of. Because we all have lots of things to say about everything and it's hard to filter out thoughts that don't need to be said, amirite?
You are very lucky that you didnt jeopardize your job. On the one hand, your employer allows you those tools and is happy with your work. Now, are they happy because "despite" the adhd you do well? Do they evaluate you fairly or d they only think you are capable up to a certain point because of your disability and let stuff fly that they wouldnt from coworkers?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-11-17)
Old 05-10-18, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
  • Use a timer each time you go online
I've tried this strategy but I haven't been able to make it work. Sometimes the timer goes off when I'm so hyperfocused that I don't even register that it rang. Or I'm in the middle of doing something online and I'm like, "Nope, can't stop now... just five more minutes..." - which always becomes another 30 minutes at least. I wonder if there's a way to set my internet to just turn off after a certain amount of time. Though that might turn out to be just plain annoying.
Old 05-10-18, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light

They have parental control software that would allow you to do just that. Shut the internet off at a certain time.

But you would have all the access so you would probably just turn it back on again.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Ronelh (05-14-18)
Old 05-14-18, 02:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
They have parental control software that would allow you to do just that. Shut the internet off at a certain time.

But you would have all the access so you would probably just turn it back on again.
Yeah, I'd have to discipline myself to be my own parent. But it might help. I'll have to think about it though. As I said, it might just be annoying.