ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-31-11, 05:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

WorkAholic will become famous soon enough
Generic Dexedrine? Have you tried, do you like?

I have a prescription for generic dexedrine. Have you had an experience with it? Walgreens said that is all they have in stock
Old 10-31-11, 06:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Generic Dexedrine? Have you tried, do you like?

Spansules or IR?

There is no brand IR, but contrary to popular opinion, I find the generic to be very effective, at least in comparison to every version of Adderall IR, including Sandoz (which is by far my favorite brand of Adderall).

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 10-31-11, 09:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

What's a spansule?

It's manufactured by Barr and they are orange pills, dextroamphetamine. I am hoping it's going to be the one that works.

What color is the Sandoz Adderall IR? I had the pink ones, I didn't like them very much. They gave me a rash and made me feel like I was flushed at night.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-11, 10:25 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

A spansule is an extended release capsule containing beads. It sounds like you have the IR tablets. They work very well for me.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
WorkAholic (11-06-11)
Old 11-01-11, 02:22 AM

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the deal .....Dexedrine.....is a brand name for the extended release capsules ( or spansules ) .....

If you want dextroamphetemine, that is, the IR tablets, and your doctor writes a scrip for Dexedrine......they will give you Dexedrine extended release capsules.....NOT the IR tablets......

I know this cause I was confused about this very subject and it took 2 or 3 months before I even understood there was a difference.....I would be very indignant at the pharmacist ....no She wrote "tablets" ....I don't want the caps .....much phoning to doctors office would ensure and miracle of miracles, they would give me the tablets....

.....so if you want the ir tablets....the prescription must read "dextroamphetemine".....NOT dexedrine .....

which is why I'll call my meds dex, but not dexedrine .....cause it's not .....

hope this clears things up ....

Dexdrine= capsules /spansules=extended release

dextroampetemine= tablets=immediate release

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
BR549 (11-01-11), FauxPas (11-15-11), WorkAholic (11-06-11)
Old 11-06-11, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

That makes sense now, thanks

Next, I just wish I could find a medication that actually has an effect on me. I'm trying Dexedrine 25mg 4x/day and no effect. I'll most likely stop taking it because why should I take it if it's not doing anything for me.
Old 11-06-11, 04:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

LanCo Rider can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
Here's the deal .....Dexedrine.....is a brand name for the extended release capsules ( or spansules ) .....

If you want dextroamphetemine, that is, the IR tablets, and your doctor writes a scrip for Dexedrine......they will give you Dexedrine extended release capsules.....NOT the IR tablets......

I know this cause I was confused about this very subject and it took 2 or 3 months before I even understood there was a difference.....I would be very indignant at the pharmacist ....no She wrote "tablets" ....I don't want the caps .....much phoning to doctors office would ensure and miracle of miracles, they would give me the tablets....

.....so if you want the ir tablets....the prescription must read "dextroamphetemine".....NOT dexedrine .....

which is why I'll call my meds dex, but not dexedrine .....cause it's not .....

hope this clears things up ....

Dexdrine= capsules /spansules=extended release

dextroampetemine= tablets=immediate release
That is not true in my case. It may vary state to state though.

My script says "dexedrine tabs" and I get the IR every time.
Old 11-06-11, 04:20 PM

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

When I had "Dexedrine" written out by my doctor (for the tablets), all of the pharmacies thought it was the Extended Release pills. They couldn't fill it with the IR Tablets, no matter what.

That's because "Dexedrine" is now marked for the Extended Release only. I talked to many pharmacists about it.

I had to run back to my doctor and get a "Dextroamphetamine" script instead.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 11-06-11, 04:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

My script said dexedrine but they gave me little orange barr tablets (the generics)...the pharmacist said that the generic was dextroamphetamine..I wonder if that's why.
Old 11-06-11, 06:42 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

My script says "dexedrine" & they are the orange tablets.I go to a local mom & pop pharmacy for these.When I took my script to Wal-Mart they gave me little blue pills, which were not effective at all.
No other pharmacy in my area seemed to know what to give me when the doctor wrote the prescription out for Dexedrine.
Old 11-06-11, 07:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

After not being successful with any of the medications, I try to use this site and get as much knowledge from it as possible.

I heard that barr and teva generics are the best kinds of generics to get. I got mine from Walgreens. I called first to ask what the generic name was and who the manufacturer was.

I wish I could say I've had success with these...but hopefully this info. will help someone.
Old 11-06-11, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkAholic View Post
After not being successful with any of the medications, I try to use this site and get as much knowledge from it as possible.

I heard that barr and teva generics are the best kinds of generics to get. I got mine from Walgreens. I called first to ask what the generic name was and who the manufacturer was.

I wish I could say I've had success with these...but hopefully this info. will help someone.
Barr and Teva are one and the same and are the only available version of IR dex.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-15-11, 09:06 PM

dominil is on a distinguished road

my scripts say dexedrine and i always get the generic IR tabs(barr/teva, which are indeed the same)(which is what im supposed to get). Probably just depends on the pharmacy but i would think that dexedrine would mean IR and dexedrine ER or CR or spansules would denote the extended release spansules