ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-11, 06:53 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future
Definition of Disease

Hi ladies and gents let's talk about what your definition of disease is. My personal view of disease is any illness,disorder,syndrome, etc which can be traced back to physical,chemical or anatomical changes which causes distress or discomfort in the daily life of it's suffer. So for instance as of this moment I have a cold(hopefully not the Flu cause I had the shot).

While a cold is a physical disease of the body's respiratory and Immune systems that causes uncomfortable physical symptoms(runny nose, water eyes, headache, sneezing,coughing etc).

Attention deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is a genetic biochemical/anatomical disease of the body's Nervous System that causes unpleasant and uncomfortable cognitive,behavioral,emotional and psychiatric symptoms such as(inability to sustain Attention to relevant and important tasks, Impulsive behavior such as interrupting people while speaking, doing things without thinking about future consequences, Hyperactivity which can actually cause dangerous or risk-taking behavior or cause excessive motor activity so severe that it becomes physically uncomfortable not just to the suffer but to those around him/her.)

A cold and ADHD are very different(of course they are) but one thing remains sick is sick,A disease is a disease and ADHD can be just as unpleasant as any so called traditional disease. If you have ADHD the first step to healing or at least getting better is to say to yourself.It's okay to grieve,It's okay to say I have a disease, Most important it's okay to say I'm sick and I don't know when I'll get better.

Then your options are do I start medication?( same as with a cold not everyone with a cold takes NyQuil some people just wait cold symptoms out).

What other options do I have as far as treatment?(psychotherapy, vitamins, behavioral interventions, dietary changes ,etc) or some people are fortunate enough that just knowing about the condition,disorder, syndrome, disease(whatever you wish to call it) helps a great deal.

We as ADHD suffers should look at our condition as a physical disorder of the body's Nervous System because guess what my psychotherapist who I feel is a great, competent woman told me a couple sessions back that while she could work with me in talk therapy to help with my anxiety and obsessions as far as ADHD we both agreed that's a physical chemical(Nervous System) illness like Epilepsy,Parkinson's Etc and while I have persuaded her to do certain things to help reduce my distractabilty in our sessions she told me the psychotherapy has limitations in actually treating ADHD cause it's now thought of as A Neurological Disorder.

So my lady therapist and I don't even work on trying to treat my ADHD but we work on dealing with states of stress the could make it or any actual medical problem worse.

So often I get up take my Vyvanse and go to therapy cause for my situation(psychotherapy) doesn't do much good at all with out Anti-ADHD medication. The analogy of comparing a cold to ADHD may seem ridiculous but it was just something that smacked me upside the head.

I'd also like to point out that some forms of Aniexty, Depression and other traditionally considered mental illnesses have to be medicated before effective psychotherapy even can begin cause for some those disorders can actually be traced back to genetic, anatomical, or physical injury states of the nervous system that psychotherapy alone can't fix.

Just keep in mind the not all mental illness actually start out as mental illnesses.
Old 12-15-11, 07:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Definition of Disease

My definition of disease: cell degeneration. I should probably read more about it to update that definition.

I wouldn't class genetic neurological disorders as diseases.

I'm not sure if I'd call epilepsy a disease. It does sometimes cause brain damage but doesn't fit my description.