ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-05, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Post Research:Internet Bullies And Attention Seekers

This is a subject that I think we all should be aware of. No one is immune from unwanted PM's, emails, attention seekers and bullies. I am very susceptible to these type of people , and decided I no longer want it in my life. ADHD is enough !

Please do not minimize what you read here, as it is for the safety of all concerned.

Take Care of yourselves, and of each other! Don't be paranoid, but be alert.

Last edited by Andrew; 09-07-08 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: URL removed...no longer working.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RhapsodyInBlue For This Useful Post:
Blanched Dubois (05-19-13), Crazygirl79 (06-09-09), Emy_93 (07-13-16), fastgreen (06-07-13), Jeftheginger (10-25-16), lucyslinky13 (10-30-13), meisam317 (06-05-11), rickymooston (12-30-09), Tom L (11-26-10)
Old 03-30-05, 11:55 AM

Don't think I posted this in the right place, Kima. You can move it. You have my permission! Not sure where to post it!

Old 03-30-05, 12:50 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
I think this might be apropos.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...271#post163271
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-05, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschaotic
Thank you Ian. That is a very profound post. I needed to read something like that today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RhapsodyInBlue For This Useful Post:
amplified63 (01-12-09), dasikins (02-12-13)
Old 03-30-05, 01:42 PM
Forum Guru

crazymama05 has disabled reputation
Viktoria and Ian, thank you so much for both of your posts. How incredibly interesting and helpful. I really did not know anything about cyber-bullying until reading your link Viktoria, but I can look back and realise I came across a few "bullies" on other forums. Incredible reading.

And Ian, until reading your post, I didnt realise that I have problem with this same issue. I look forward to learning from it and applying it to my own situation.

Once again, a wealth of information here! Bravo!
Old 03-30-05, 06:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stuck is on a distinguished road
Victoria-

I hope someone will give this post a "sticky" thingy, so it won't get lost.

In fact, it would be wonderful if we could recognize and avoid these types on

the internet and in life!

Thanks for the contribution.
Old 03-30-05, 11:43 PM

Crazymama, I have had lots of them; I usually collect them, and don't ask me why, but it's usually the attention seekers, and as I am a soft touch I end up being any forum's shrink when the problem really is that they simply want attention and not "friendship". Right now, I'm a little tired myself

Thank you Stuck. I often think that as ADD'ers we can be a little too trusting at times. A little naive, and as there are many teenagers here, it cannot hurt them and us to be on the lookout for this type of behavior.

Thank you for the replies, you're both sweet
Old 03-31-05, 03:52 AM

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
These are two fantastic posts. Thank you, Ian and Viktoria. I will have to spend some more time reading them. Once through and only a bit sticks, but I have answered Stuck's request and made it a sticky so I can always get to it easily...

Kim
Old 04-08-05, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chain has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
This is a subject that I think we all should be aware of. No one is immune from unwanted PM's, emails, attention seekers and bullies. I am very susceptible to these type of people , and decided I no longer want it in my life. ADHD is enough !

Please do not minimize what you read here, as it is for the safety of all concerned.

Take Care of yourselves, and of each other! Don't be paranoid, but be alert.
Wow! Did you read the victim profiles?...A lot of them are exactly the signs of ADD. That does clear some things up! I have been able to dodge the bullies for a long time but I have an ADD woman friend at work that "attracts" them...I am the only one that ever believes her... One of her bullies actually fits the psycopath description..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chain For This Useful Post:
fastgreen (06-07-13), pADDyjay (11-01-08)
Old 04-09-05, 03:11 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
Good website! I'll have to spend some time rummaging there...

But I do have to make a few comments...

If I read Lynn Weiss correctly, pw AD/HD can be (but not inevitably) either easy victims of bullying or practicioners themselves. Her list of AD/HD "bad coping strategies" (as I call them--she calls them "the three faces of ADD") include both victims and victimizers, and it's all about feelings about not being in control of your life. One response is to "implode" and helplessly internalize other people's bossiness--it's understandable when she says that, of the three possibilities, they suffer the worst damage.

Another is to become a control-freak yourself, and hyperfocus on not letting anyone you interact with have any effect on your life that you don't control, including having their own lives. I've personally witnessed both strategies in action.

So, detachment is a good thing to practice, because overreactivity is something most pw AD/HD (of course I speak for myself) have to deal with. But it seems to me there is a place for constructive assertiveness training when the aggression goes the other way and passively accepting it is no solution but perpetual victimhood.

I notice that the profile of the "typical bully" includes expertise in verbal duelling, something a ditzy ADDer like me naturally finds hard to match. How can you defend yourself against a sudden verbal assault that shakes you up twice as bad as it would if you weren't an ADDer? How is "blup-gulp-huh?" an effective verbal riposte?

Another thing I noticed immediately was a thorough attempt to connect bullying with Antisocial Personality Disorder and Conduct Disorder. Very informative, but I get nervous when "behavioral disorders" start getting lumped together in the diagnostic manuals (I'm talking about the US DSM, here). AD/HD is still lumped, in the most revision of the DSM with "Disruptive Behavior Disorders" (such as Conduct Disorder and Oppositional Defiant Disorder).

This is why I mentioned Weiss's "three faces" idea, because the underlying dynamic in the behavior of a "difficult person" with AD/HD is quite different from that of a psychopath, yet, despite the gradual de-demonization of AD/HD in the DSM, it still remains linked by association (via CD).

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD

Last edited by vinceptor; 04-09-05 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: AD/HD
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vinceptor For This Useful Post:
fastgreen (06-07-13), icarusinflames (05-06-15), MarySun (09-08-09), reesah (07-29-08), Wombatina (06-25-09)
Old 05-06-05, 05:50 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If I read Lynn Weiss correctly, pw AD/HD can be (but not inevitably) either easy victims of bullying or practicioners themselves.
Which Lynn Weiss book? would like to check it out!!!

Quote:
notice that the profile of the "typical bully" includes expertise in verbal duelling, something a ditzy ADDer like me naturally finds hard to match.
Some times uhhhh is not such a bad response. I guess I have tendancies of both sides because I go from Huh-what?? to assertiveness, and walking off if that don't work (I get physically followed and it has happened) I become Super Witch in less than .02 seconds. I am usually goofy, silly, gangly,sort of gal!! Most people think I am dingie and I usually am I like to have fun!!! Some people don't like fun??? they want to argue. Okay!! When I go from goffy to a mouth with brains (I can be good with words too) now that will put a look across a bullies face words can't describe!! I guess the HUh-what??? comes close.

I can do this for a while but in the long run dealing with some one who has control issues gets to be a tedious time consuming, energy depleating drag and one must eventually move on!!!!!! If they aren't listening then there no need for talking time to get a walking---->away!!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Hathor (01-23-16)
Old 05-06-05, 06:14 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823
Which Lynn Weiss book? would like to check it out!!!
"Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults, Practical Help and Understanding"--3d edition, 1997.

Pretty old stuff by now, but her insights into the kind of alligators we wrestle (she is an ADDer, too) are still worthwhile.

Quote:
... (I can be good with words too)...
There's always that, too. I think no one can swordfight with words (when their adrenalin's up) like someone w ADD.

Quote:
... now that will put a look across a bullies face words can't describe!! I guess the HUh-what??? comes close.
I've surprised a few myself when they thought they cornered a wimp....

Ken

The Following User Says Thank You to vinceptor For This Useful Post:
Hathor (01-23-16)
Old 05-07-05, 11:04 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks vinceptor for the title of that book. I added it to the list of book I want to "check out".

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-07-05, 11:22 PM
Contributor

You're welcome. A tape about ADD by Dr. Weiss (loaned by a therapist, I have no idea how to get it) was what finally convinced my wife that everything I had been telling her about needed to be taken seriously. I have a lot to thank Dr. Weiss for.

Ken

Old 05-08-05, 10:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that is a really dumb site. It is nuts to list over a hundred "traits" of bullies. According to that site, most of us are bullies.