ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-14, 06:45 PM
Jr Member

hazlnut is on a distinguished road
Re: "No scientific basis" - Here's the Proof

I guess we're kinda like Climate Change.

Cool.

Let them bicker and blog about whether I exist or not, meanwhile, I'm going to continue to find new and creative ways to live my life better than I ever have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazlnut For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-28-17), Stevuke79 (04-17-14)
Old 10-22-15, 06:26 PM

ivry321 will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

Somewhat new here, I was diagnosed a few years back with ADD 56 now.

I am caring less and less what others say or think about ADD being real or not. Whatever we have the symptoms are lessened by the treatment provided, and things are just not so confusing.

I have a co worker that gets a kick out of this ADD thing as he states," It's all in your head" I say correct? He says," well since you know why don't you just not do those things,or say, or?"

He has diabetes, I ask him why does he take insulin, He tells me, bla bla. I say why are you eating all that chocolate, he says " bla bla"

I say I take meds because it buys me the time to get in the habit of doing the right things. Eating ,exercise etc. ( Not that I am great at any of that yet) If I dont take my meds, I get in trouble I get depressed I am not productive etc. So I take my meds so I will "feel like doing the things I know I should do to help realize the best me. He says You should have more control. I say I will take my meds and most likely for the rest of my life. (My ADD is real bad) and the most that will happen to me is I will become happy ,productive and ok with everything (I hope) You will keep not paying attention to yourself, and you will lose you eye-sight ,limbs and possibly hook up to a maching 3 days a week.

People that don't get it don't have to. We get it and need to keep our self in check..Helps if you have a spouse and/or good friend.

I tell him we are lacking the very thing the brain releases that makes you want to "go do it" It's that simple.

This is my truth so far anyway.

Let me know your thoughts

Dave
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivry321 For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-28-16), Lunacie (10-22-15), Pilgrim (12-07-15)
Old 10-22-15, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,716 Times in 11,997 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty good explanation.

Dr. Barkley says we know what to do, but we just can't do what we know.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (10-29-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-15, 03:17 PM

ivry321 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I am realizing that the less I 2nd guess myself the better things are. Also Professionals around me hire me for what I know so I am kinda having to put the fun procrastination stuff on hold at times.

When I say fun I mean you know feel like your doing something important, like I caught myself looking for info for my new website I have been trying to finish ( go figure) so I am getting the info and info and info, well know its time for my meds, get more info.

Some days just give in to the ADHD but less and less on days that effect my life,

I am a music composer by trade and its really cool to see we are not alone and how they deal.

But I can tell you first hand if you have it since your a kid and you are now my age (56) It ain't no picnic.

How productive are people here with a little time under their belt. Is this the right place to ask that question?

I think piecing together big projects for us is key to finishing big projects.

Who's DR Barkely? Have to go check him out or her?

Thanks for responding

anyone else?

Dave
Old 12-07-15, 08:31 AM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Utube Barkley, worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (10-29-16)
Old 12-08-15, 09:33 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,217 Times in 994 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I often debate with a colleague about the value of a diagnosis. There's no test that proves one mental condition over another, so it's all just guesswork, right?

In my case, the diagnosis came with a few distinct benefits:

1) Access to accommodation in university,
2) Being able to let go of a lot of the self-judgment I was doing,
3) Better understanding of myself, and perhaps most importantly,
4) The opportunity to connect to people who have experienced similar problems.

Diagnoses, even the ones that were ultimately incorrect, lead me to better self awareness, and always taught me new things about myself and the people around me. There were certain costs that came with the labels, sure, but I hang on to what I gained from them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (08-30-16), Lunacie (12-08-15), mctavish23 (10-29-16)
Old 12-08-15, 11:48 AM

Thanked 25,716 Times in 11,997 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmanMonkey View Post
I often debate with a colleague about the value of a diagnosis. There's no test that proves one mental condition over another, so it's all just guesswork, right?

In my case, the diagnosis came with a few distinct benefits:

1) Access to accommodation in university,
2) Being able to let go of a lot of the self-judgment I was doing,
3) Better understanding of myself, and perhaps most importantly,
4) The opportunity to connect to people who have experienced similar problems.

Diagnoses, even the ones that were ultimately incorrect, lead me to better self awareness, and always taught me new things about myself and the people around me. There were certain costs that came with the labels, sure, but I hang on to what I gained from them.

I'm not in university but otherwise, I appreciate the same benefits of knowing what the heck is going on with me after 50 years undiagnosed.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (04-28-17), mctavish23 (10-29-16)
Old 10-29-16, 02:00 PM

Thanked 10,182 Times in 3,202 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I'm glad to see the whole tone of this thread change from one of originally being challenged, to an evidenced

based emphasis on the current science behind the disorder

U R Welcome
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Old 02-23-17, 09:24 PM

Nelson1967 is on a distinguished road

Brain scans can see the brain disorder bad parents no
Heck No most of us Hear been raised by strict family so heck no on bad parents
Grand parents tend to think disorders are fake unless they got disorders too
Old 04-28-17, 01:32 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Researchers have found umpteen differences in our brains vs those w/o ADHD. The genetic links are clear. Have they found the cause? Absolutely not. (Getting closer daily)

If those who are certain it doesn't exist see you lying on the ground bleeding to death, would they wait until they found what's causing the bleeding first or would they stop the bleeding?
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 05:27 PM

VoxPopuli has a spectacular aura aboutVoxPopuli has a spectacular aura about

I didn't want to reply to the OP as it was so long ago - and because I find that long posts male MY skin crawl - so I have compassion for those here that may share that sentiment.

...full disclosure, while I can't stand long posts, I find I too get very "wordy", especially while medicated...

The OP mentioned the work of Dr Russell Barkley, if you don't know that name - check out the youtube video:

I'm currently reading his book "Taking Charge of Adult ADHD"...Dr Barkley conducted the largest & most comprehensive study of adult ADHD, ever. His work makes up the backbone of DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders). The DSM serves as the American Psychiatric Association's classification and diagnostic tool. In the United States the DSM serves as a universal authority for psychiatric diagnoses.

ADHD is a neurological disorder. The frontal lobe of the brain is responsible for Executive Functioning - since the frontal lobe controls decision making processes - a neurological disorder in the area of the brain responsible for decision-making and organization - is a REAL and physical impairment. Medication either stimulates/triggers neural activity, or provides a workaround, allowing us to function more like those without out the disorder.

Medication helps, but maximum effectiveness occurs when training/coaching are combined with medication for a comprehensive therapy. The longer you go undiagnosed the more likely you are to develop psychological disorders that further complicate treatment.

As mentioned in other threads/posts - Dr Barkley has developed 9 criteria for the successful diagnosis of ADHD in adults. I won't make this a longer post by reposting all of that information, as I may be turning some off already by the length of this post!

Just know, there IS hope available, and ADHD IS a real & devastating disorder - but is also the one out-patient disorder that responds BEST to treatment!
EYEgor: Abby... Normal. Yes that's it, Abby Normal!

Last edited by namazu; 04-28-17 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: fixed YouTube link -- use "http" in place of "https" in link so that page displays correctly
The Following User Says Thank You to VoxPopuli For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-28-17)