ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-18, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,328 Times in 671 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
Re: Here's how this sh- works

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
There is such a thing as abnormality. It's a spectrum. A little abnormal is just a little weird. A lot of abnormal gets you a diagnosis. And that is why I suggested seeing a psych.
this is the problem I'm seeing

I said that I've gone to cbt for 4 years.

did you see me say that, or are you talking about yourself
Old 05-22-18, 06:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda View Post
because the only way to help anyone else is to first, help ourselfs.
I've helped myself. I'm functioning now. 15 minute med checkup every 3 months. That's the extent of the help I need at this point.
Old 05-22-18, 06:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

so why are you suggesting I see a pshych when I said I have been for 4 years.

I can test my reality, can you yours?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-18, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light

If you are seeing a psych then you are already on the right path. Your psych can direct you from there.
Old 05-22-18, 06:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

And I recall you saying you were doing CBT. You are arguing over your own methods?
Old 05-22-18, 06:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

I really cannot comprehend the mindset of 'This person is trying to help people. **** them. Lets make them out to be ****ting on us."

In case someone was wondering I get absolutely 0 out of trying to do this. It doesn't benefit me in any way.
Old 05-22-18, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
And I recall you saying you were doing CBT. You are arguing over your own methods?
I am not arguing over my own methods. therapy is cbt.

I think the person who is is yourself lyrin.

as I said, someone who see's someone drowning can either dive in to help another, or learn that those who do typically drown with the other person.

it's best for them to get a life preserver to defend themselves against the tides.

for instance, when you(lyrin) say "you are arguing over your own methods", that can create an echo in myself without a life preserver, or a skill I and people like myself learn in cbt.

I would in turn ask you(lyrin) are you*lyrin* really the one arguing with your own methods, or battling against an echo of the past.
Old 05-22-18, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

As I said they aren't even what I used to get better. It comes from a lot of research and things I know from MI people I know.

I'm fine. Aside from my med appointments I don't need anything. I have nothing to prove and gain no benefit from the original post.
Old 05-22-18, 06:37 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
"Why do you care so much?"

I have no idea. It is now clear to me that I should not.
What I meant is that, even if someone appears to be using this forum to pointlessly whine, why can't you just accept that?

Sometimes whining is a necessary stage of the healing process. And people go through different stages at their own pace.

Trying to force change/advice on people who are not receptive to it is a sure recipe for disaster.

I assume you're familiar with the proverb of leading a horse to water? If people ask for advice, then you should, of course, give it. But if they just want an accepting place to vent, then they have every right to that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (05-22-18), Lunacie (05-24-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-23-18), psychopathetic (05-23-18)
Old 05-22-18, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

I didn't say people had to listen to me. I didn't say people on another course change. Like I said, if I help point one person in the right direction that's enough for me.
Old 05-22-18, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

If you absolutely must have a reason then I guess you could point to being a secular Buddhist.
Old 05-22-18, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

I'm going to bed now. You can spend all night ******** and moaning at me for daring to try to help people get out of where their minds have them stuck.
Old 05-22-18, 06:50 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
I didn't say people had to listen to me.
You never explicitly said that. But made a complaint/generalization that people on this forum engage in pointless whining.

Quote:
Like I said, if I help point one person in the right direction that's enough for me.
That's great. We, of course, should give advice to those who are asking for it.

For those who simply want a place to vent, I think we should respect their decision. If you find those threads annoying, then you could just choose to ignore them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-22-18), psychopathetic (05-23-18)
Old 05-22-18, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
I'm going to bed now. You can spend all night ******** and moaning at me for daring to try to help people get out of where their minds have them stuck.
we see in those with what we don't see in ourselfs.

you aren't other people lyrin, you are you. when we don't have something we can often, as humans, reflect that back on everyone else. it's not until we admit to ourselfs that we are the ones stuck that we can get unstuck.

none of us are moaning, that would be yourself lyrin. I just went and played catch with my dog that I love and I'm fixing myself some food in the process. *you* in this instance is yourself lyrin. in fact, right now I have a lot of piece of mind.

perhaps you(lyrin) are referring to other people in your life who are stuck and have dared in the past to help them (such as parents, or brothers, sisters, friends), and in the process, absorbed some of their own projections that have made you(lyrin) stuck. I can only guess at that because I'm not a pshychologist/therapist.

or perhaps you(lyrin) are talking about yourself that is stuck and wants help being unstuck, when we don't have something we often project that towards other's. my mind isn't stuck, I can't assume that other's that have responded to you(lyrin) are stuck.

that points to one person who is, trying to help others to help himself. but it works in the opposite direction, we must help ourselves to help others.

reading about CBT isn't the same as going to CBT. we often times have to work whatever has us stuck out with another person, someone who is trained to do just that.
Old 05-22-18, 07:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Actually I am helping my roommate, who is horribly stuck, go through the same beginning process I did when I was unable to take care of myself. In order to get him back up and running. And to get him back to work and in society and productive.

He pays practically nothing to live here and all I require is that he does the cat boxes and goes to his appointments regularly and makes improvements. Right now we are working on anxiety.

Should I have just said "**** you good luck" and went about my life?

No, he needs this ****. I know what he needs to get better because I know him. I gave ballparks for my post because I don't know exactly who would be reading it (also considering people who lurk).

Also why I said it's fine to PM me with questions.

I do this **** in real life too. Again, at no benefit to me. I'm actually losing money on a normal roommate. But he needed help so I said he could come live with me and get his **** together.