ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-18, 05:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light
An example.

So at work we have a promotion going on now for how many steps you take (measured through my fitbit). I'm like okay I'm down for getting steps. You had to join a team so I did.

Then it went live and after a few days I checked the team board. These people had DOUBLE the steps I had done. (I hadn't been running since my 5k.) I was like whoa are these people superhuman, how do they do this.

I live 25 minutes away from my job so I can't walk there. But I got to thinking, I do park in the city municipal lot and catch a free bus to work. I could try walking that distance. Takes about 15 minutes.

Bam, hit my step target every day I do it now. I was like holy **** I didn't realize I could do that. And that's only walking in the morning. Because sunlight and temperatures over 80 are evil, evil things.

Also keep in mind that my back pain and fibro made walking very difficult for even walking around a grocery store for me up until around 6 months or so where I've gotten some fight back in me.

What can we learn from this? There was nothing "wrong" with me not walking to work. But! Once I thought about it and realized I could do more to get my steps up I took advantage of it. Take advantage of whatever resources you can find. Look for people that have already done what you want to do and figure out what they did and closely examine it against your life for changes you can make to reach your goal.

I wasn't comparing myself to them for comparisons sake, I was legit just wondering how they could get that many steps. (They are still beating me but that's ok we are on the same team.) But they made me think about it and gave me some drive to do it because I saw my expectations being exceeded. So I knew I could ramp it up a bit.

So a simple work competition made me aware of something that could ultimately benefit my health long term. Don't overlook the details. And don't let opportunities go missed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18), ToneTone (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 05:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,328 Times in 671 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
Re: An example.

awesome. ya it's the fine line between comparisons and adapting to what other's do that might work better for you. I mean, a lot of times we have to figure stuff on our own, but other times, reinventing the wheel is downright exhausting (I'm projecting a bit, no sleep last night)

I'm really into the hunter/gatherer theory (or hunter farmer). if you want more info on this you can look it up, but people with ADHD tend to be (don't want to paint with a big brush but the theory is pretty legit) hunters.

that doesn't mean narcs or anything, that means.... well look at the language you used, BHAM! I have a program called stay focused installed on my computer for when I just want to NUKE the internet(or everything but the websites I need for whatever work I might be doing). I like summer classes for boring classes because of the rapid fire nature of the classes (external locus of control, I like my rapid fire nature adapted to the fast paced form of summer classes, adapting that energy for boring as dirt classes).

"Take advantage of whatever resources you can find" again adaptive language, our language is adaptive to situations. I remember when I used to take advantage of people, I didn't want to go down that route anylonger (ya, when you are smarter than the average bear it's more than easy to catch leaky information), instead of taking advantage of other's, I take advantage of situations, look for opportunities (like treasure hunting), manipulate the environment instead of people etc...

one of the most adaptive strategies I know of is to have a task list (action plan), put down concisely it is you want to do, and break each into steps. the reason you put everything down on the plan precisely and break each step down is the human brain can imagine it does something and we get a dopamine hit.... that's not an adhd thing but a human condition thing. when we get used to doing this we train(hunter) our brain to work in this manner, and then journal or talk to the universe (both!) to really articulate what we did and how we felt.

but there is another reason to break things down in the plan. for instance, when I clean I can think of the entire room, or I can break down the room into 4 or 5 steps. this is 4 or 5 BHAMS that I get to tick off the action plan
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
LyrinMeow (06-01-18)
Old 05-31-18, 06:25 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of light

This time last year I was working for Iron Mountain, emptying confidential paperwork bins in hospitals in the Denver area. Didn't even notice how much I was walking on a daily basis until I got out of the shower one day, looked in the mirror, and was blown away by the fact that I could actually see my ribs showing. Hopped on the scale, and realized I had lost 40 pounds. Once I actually downloaded a step counter app on my phone and started using it, came to find out I was putting in close to or over 20000 steps a day, which was amounting to close to 50 miles a week of walking.

No real point to this, just wanted to share my experiences as they are somewhat similar to yours.
LyrinMeow (06-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-18, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light

I would put in over 20,000 steps a day at Walmart as a manager. No matter where you work someone in the opposite end of the store needed something. Didn't lose weight though. Probably PCOS. It makes it extremely difficult to get weight off. Only thing I've found is keto. I can drop my calories down to 1000 a day and barely lose anything. (Yes, I've had my thyroid checked)

Now I sit on my butt all day so I have to find ways to squeeze exercise and steps in. But there are ways and I can do it.