ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-18, 07:52 PM
Contributor

Carol has disabled reputation
How do I clear out this house to sell before foreclosure?

Iím in a panic. I'm trying to sell my house before the bank auctions it, but it is completely piled high with clutter. I dont know how much time I have. Iíve been living in the Bahamas, my husband was Bahamian, he died almost 2 years ago. Business is bad and our home here went into foreclosure.

The bank here sold the mortgage to a lender in another state. I dont know what that means for the foreclosure here in Florida. I didn't homestead the house, because my husband was a foreigner. I think i could have but didnt.

I came 3 weeks ago and haven't made a dent. Today, i finally upped my medication and finally got busy. But looking at the monumental task before me, I am completely panicked.

What happens if I canít get it done. Iíve been throwing most stuff away, but there so much. Even lugging the garbage bags out the door is exhausting. I look around and imagine the entire contents in garbage bags. It would take hundreds. The two-car garage is also completely full. I dont know what it costs to have a ďcrewĒ come in.

To make matters worse, my husbandís will is here somewhere, I think. I didn't know it would be so serious if I lost it. How stupid. I was careless with it.
namazu (05-31-18)
Old 06-01-18, 04:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I clear out this house to sell before foreclosure?

Have you ever considered one of those companies like `1800 junk?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Carol (06-01-18)
Old 06-01-18, 08:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,920 Times in 2,019 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I could very well be wrong on this but I thought you don't have to clean a home if you're losing it to a foreclosure?

Only take whatever is valuable to you and leave the rest.

Like I said, I could be wrong especially since I live in the US, not Bahama.

Also, did you look into short-selling? Don't really know anything about that other than my ex-coworker did that instead to save her credit though maybe the house was under your husband's name only.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Carol (06-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-18, 10:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,022 Times in 13,125 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I really have no idea about forclusures ,etc; but I think it would be worth it to hire someone to help at least with carrying things out of the house and loading up a truck.
Can you rent a storage unit?
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Carol (06-01-18)
Old 06-01-18, 11:27 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quick shot Carol. Pls disregard any/all if inappropriate for your situation. GL, -LN

ORGANIZE CONTENTS (Segregate items into)
  • Keep w/ You (separate)
  • Throw Away
  • Box & Move to Storage

Storage
  • Obtain Storage as Needed

PACK
  • Hire Movers to Pack & Move to Storage (turnkey)
  • Get Friends to Help if Can't afford Movers (longer and more demanding of you)
  • Do it all Yourself(Likely longest Time)

CLEAN UP
  • Hire House Cleaners for Inside & Out (turnkey)
  • Get Friends to Help if Can't afford Cleaners (longer and more demanding of you)
  • Do it all Yourself(Likely longest Time)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Carol (06-01-18), FlipperTheWhale (06-04-18)
Old 06-01-18, 02:48 PM
Contributor

Carol has disabled reputation

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I have rented a storage unit and I’ve had a Uhaul van rented for 3 weeks. I’ve made only one haul over there. In all that time, I’ve thrown out about 10 large bags of garbage.

I always have a hard time getting started. With this daunting task before me, I feel paralyzed.

I don’t know how foreclosures work. I have such anxiety that its difficult for me to make the necessary calls. I dread the impact of bad news.

I’m alone here. I could hire someone on a daily basis, but I’m afraid they’ll take one look and leave. The 1-800Junk company is very expensive at this scale. Anyone is.

I’ve lost 30 lbs and started smoking in the last few months. I have a business, doing poorly, that adds to my stress. Ive had to leave it in inexperienced hands while I deal with this.

It’s just all too much. I have managed everything badly since my husband died. I dont know what i’m going to do.
Old 06-03-18, 06:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

Carol take a deep breath. Separate the different issues. Work, the house, foreclosure, etc.. If you are allowing the bank to foreclose on the house then one reply is correct in saying you have no obligation as to what condition you leave the house.

Find the important items first and let go of the rest.

If you are saving the home from foreclosure than you will have time to clean it at your leisure.

Is there a way you can use the internet to help the inexperienced person handling the business?

Overwhelm causes avoidance and breaking issues down to very tine pieces helps reduce overwhelm.
The Following User Says Thank You to musicman64 For This Useful Post:
Carol (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 03:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Get bins and anything valuable or sentimental put in certain bins. Use new bins to the must keeps- things like the coffee pot and dishes, etc. Let the rest of it stay there and the bank and deal with it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Carol (06-04-18)
Old 06-10-18, 04:52 PM
Jr Member

Rimalucy is a jewel in the roughRimalucy is a jewel in the roughRimalucy is a jewel in the rough

Professional organizers (see yellow pgs) can help, but you'd have to discuss fees with them.
Old 06-13-18, 11:53 PM
Jr Member

MartinB is on a distinguished road

I have two thoughts:

1. Maybe you could try to call the lender and figure out what the situation is? I think lenders generally try to avoid foreclosures if they can, because they won't recoup all of the money. Maybe they could tell you how much time you have to sell the house, which could make the situation less stressful.

2. Maybe you could pay someone to help you clear the house? I know it seems like a bad idea if you have money trouble, but I can imagine just having someone else there for a couple of days could help you to calm down and get started.
Old 06-13-18, 11:56 PM
Jr Member

MartinB is on a distinguished road

I have two thoughts:

1. Maybe you could try to call the lender and figure out what the situation is? I think lenders generally try to avoid foreclosures if they can, because they won't recoup all of the money. Maybe they could tell you how much time you have to sell the house, which could make t situation less stressful.

2. Maybe you could pay someone to help you clear the house? I know it seems like a bad idea if you have money trouble, but I can imagine just having someone else there for couple of days could help you to calm down and get started.

EDIT: I just noticed this post is already a couple of weeks old. Is the situation any better?
Old 06-14-18, 04:49 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Iím in a panic. I'm trying to sell my house before the bank auctions it, but it is completely piled high with clutter. I dont know how much time I have. Iíve been living in the Bahamas, my husband was Bahamian, he died almost 2 years ago. Business is bad and our home here went into foreclosure.

The bank here sold the mortgage to a lender in another state. I dont know what that means for the foreclosure here in Florida. I didn't homestead the house, because my husband was a foreigner. I think i could have but didnt.

I came 3 weeks ago and haven't made a dent. Today, i finally upped my medication and finally got busy. But looking at the monumental task before me, I am completely panicked.

What happens if I canít get it done. Iíve been throwing most stuff away, but there so much. Even lugging the garbage bags out the door is exhausting. I look around and imagine the entire contents in garbage bags. It would take hundreds. The two-car garage is also completely full. I dont know what it costs to have a ďcrewĒ come in.

To make matters worse, my husbandís will is here somewhere, I think. I didn't know it would be so serious if I lost it. How stupid. I was careless with it.

Call a company that specializes in estate sales. THey will take EVERYTHING, sell what can be sold and pay you typically 30 to 50 percent of their gross sales. If there are things you can't do without, pull them out before calling the estate sale company.

I've done this. I'd do it again.

I try to have so little stuff that I could move in a car and no moving truck required.

I happen to be failing at that right now....

WMM