ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-04-18, 02:47 PM

BeeCee is on a distinguished road
Methyphenidate sadness/glum

Hi Everybody
I've been checking out the forum for a little while, and can see there is a lot of info and support for people with ADHD on here. I've just joined (I think yesterday), and thought I might open my 1st thread.

A very brief background. I'm a 46 yr old male, who was diagnosed with ADHD last year, but have only this month started a methylphenidate prescription, I also have a bipolar diagnosis.

I've only just been given this ADHD treatment, because the medical professionals I'd received the diagnosis from, refused to treat me due to their fearing any ADHD medication might tip me over into mania (I've had the bipolar diagnosis for around 19 years approx, and been mania free since the beginning of 1999). But after a lot of complaining, a psychiatrist at the local mental health clinic agreed to treat me

Over the last 2 weeks since starting the methylphenidate which began at 5mg x 2 every day, and was then increased to 10mg in the morning and 5mg at noon, I've had to go through some testing times in trying to get used to the medication. Probably post about that another time.

Anyway I've been noticing since the morning dose was increased to 10mg that when the methylphenidate wears off in the afternoon, I feel quite despondent and glum. I also feel low until I take the morning dose. I'm guessing it might be some kind of comedown effect, which I'm surprised about, as the dose is so low. These feelings aren't constant, but I'd rather they not be there. Aside from this, I've found this medication has been very helpful so far, mainly i slowing me down a lot, and reducing my impulsive ways

The questions I have are can any other past or present users of methylphenidate relate to this experience, and if so, any tips about how best to cope. I should also add, my next appointment with the psychiatrist isn't until the end of june as she's on holiday at the moment.
Old 06-04-18, 05:12 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Methyphenidate sadness/glum

I don't have much personal experience with methylphenidate. But it's well established that methylphenidate (immediate release) has a short duration of effect (maybe like 2-4 hours). People typically redose frequently and/or take an extended release version.

I would suggest that you ask your doctor about adding a third dose in the afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
BeeCee (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 03:28 AM

Hi
Thanks for the response. I was thinking that adding in a third dose in the afternoon might help as at the moment I'm coming to dread the feelings which come when it wears off.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-18, 05:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,175 Times in 14,303 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

This is just me...I have bipolar II and ritalin was not good for that and I have heard that said about other people who have bipolar and have tried ritalin. It caused rapid cycling and major mood issues for me. I have been on amphetamines now for like 13 years and have not had any med-related issues with the bipolar so its worth considering. The glum feelings you have sound like a severe crash and ritalin is known to have quite a crash for people that do not do well on it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BeeCee (06-05-18)
Old 06-06-18, 03:43 PM

The psychiatrist has told me that she will only prescribe methylphenidate due to risk of addiction (ive a past history of cannabis, and some recreational use of stimulants and stuff like that) and triggering mania.
The subject of medication is a bit worrying really. As when I checked in with her after having started the meds she asked how I was getting on. I explained that my mind had calmed right down, and i was more able to think before i spoke, but that i hadnt noticed any improvement in my ability to concentrate. At that point I was only on 5mg of methylphenidate in the morning and 5mg at lunch. Shr agreed to increase the morning dose to 10mg and keep the second dose the same. I asked her what would happen if my concentration didn't improve after that, she intimated that it might be another problem than adhd...thats what I think she was inferring. I'm surprised she would say that with it being such a low dose, and that this is the only medication which has been tried. I now feel a bit like I have to have an improvement of concentration or treatment might be stopped. I realise i could just be worrying
nly on such a low dose of methylphenidate
Old 06-06-18, 05:11 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the rough

I would seek another opinion if I were you. I was diagnosed late in life as well, and also have a history of illicit drug use, and dependency, but I was able to get prescribed Adderall for a time, and now I am taking dexedrine instant release.

Well I understand your doctor's concerns, it's a little difficult to successfully treat ADD when doctors are afraid to prescribe scheduled medications because of past drug use, when 98% of us spent our entire youths self-medicating with one thing or another until we found out what our issues were. Drug abuse is a well-documented and well-known issue when it comes to people with untreated ADHD, and there are plenty of doctors out there who understand that and are not afraid to prescribe stimulant medication because of it. Ask around, don't be afraid to get a second opinion.
Old 06-12-18, 10:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,175 Times in 14,303 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
The psychiatrist has told me that she will only prescribe methylphenidate due to risk of addiction (ive a past history of cannabis, and some recreational use of stimulants and stuff like that) and triggering mania.
Do you care to challenge this? Not the mania bit but the addiction piece? Ritalin can be addictive. Just as much as amphetamines but the amphetamine addiction doesnt come into play without abusing it or looking for a high. Do you have bipolar? Thats the only thing I wondered with her comment about mania. I have bipolar II and in the beginning we had to watch out for issues related to mania.
Quote:
Shr agreed to increase the morning dose to 10mg and keep the second dose the same. I asked her what would happen if my concentration didn't improve after that, she intimated that it might be another problem than adhd...thats what I think she was inferring. I'm surprised she would say that with it being such a low dose, and that this is the only medication which has been tried. I now feel a bit like I have to have an improvement of concentration or treatment might be stopped. I realise i could just be worrying
nly on such a low dose of methylphenidate
This is also silly. I dont understand her logic in assuming that a low dose of one medication should work or else you do not have adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-12-18, 11:37 AM

I have a diagnosis of Bipolar, I believe it is Bipolar 1 as I'd previously had mania and psychosis during 2 episodes during the 90's.
I don't really understand the logic of the psychiatrist either, though I'm loath to challenge her to much as I've only just started to work with her and dont know how she will repond.