ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 06-09-18, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,876 Times in 13,794 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Adult onset adhd

Interesting article

http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/201...ult-onset-adhd

I'd be interested in people's thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-22-18)
Old 06-09-18, 07:57 PM

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adult onset adhd

There are many attributes that can impact a persons brain chemistry throughout their lives. Diets, lifestyles, situations, influences.... etc.

Chemicals like Dopamine, Serotonin, Norepinephrine and any other chemicals that are linked to the brains reward system aren't static, they are constantly changing in everybody as a result to changes in external stimuli.

My understanding of ADHD (and please correct me if i'm wrong) is a malfunction in the frontal cortex of the brain that impacts the release mechanisms responsible for allowing reward chemicals to be released into the reward system (aka synapse), preventing these chemicals from binding themselves to the necessary cells.

It's not inconcievable that these release mechanisms can be damaged over time as a result of malnutrition, diseases that attack the brain, physical damage to the pre frontal cortex and probably a whole host of other factors.

The way that ADHD is currently defined, it is something you're born with, not something that you develop overtime. However, in terms of the biological factors that trigger ADHD symptoms, it's very possible that a persons brain can be altered overtime to mimic that of an ADHD brain.

Whether they decide to call it the same thing or not, isn't really relevant. What's important is that the person gets the correct treatment if the problem can't be corrected.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-18), Lunacie (07-21-18), Luvmybully (08-10-18)
Old 06-09-18, 10:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

My first thought:

The author has either ADHD herself, or was paid by no of words.

I got bored reading the same thought 3 times over and over and getting no conclusion.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-18, 11:50 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,749 Times in 7,347 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't read the whole article, but I skimmed through enough to get the gist of it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all that as we continue to learn about this disorder that adult onset is possible.
I'm at least open to the idea.
There's just so many unanswered questions...so much that we don't understand. Who knows what will be learned over the years.

You gotta understand though...I don't understand the science and technical side of ADHD. I wish I did, and I've tried and tried to comprehend some of it...but dang, I just can't wrap my mind around that stuff. So I don't know if it's possible or not scientifically or whatever.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-18), Lunacie (06-10-18)
Old 06-10-18, 04:49 PM
Jr Member

Rimalucy is a jewel in the roughRimalucy is a jewel in the roughRimalucy is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone ever questioned possible adHD showing up post menopause - a time when sleep apnea (co-morbid with adhd in many people) becomes obvious?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rimalucy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-18)
Old 06-10-18, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I mean, is there such thing as adult-onset autism?

ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. The DSM definition is based on solid statistical evidence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-10-18), Lunacie (06-10-18)
Old 06-10-18, 06:22 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I read the article, thought it was interesting, started the thread and now I don't even remember what was written in it. Not a single idea.

I feels other thread coming up: ADHD and memory
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-10-18), psychopathetic (06-10-18), willow129 (07-19-18)
Old 06-10-18, 06:32 PM

So having read the article again, the theory is that people with adult onset adhd (or adults diagnosed with ADHD who did not show symptoms before the age of 12) have:

1. Traditional neurodevelopmental ADHD but where the symptoms were missed or masked during childhood due to a supportive environment

2. Not ADHD at all but another mental health disorder (s) that shares symptoms with ADHD

3. A different and distinct type of ADHD that I presume is not neurodevelopmental but shares the same or similar symptoms of neurodevelopmental ahdh. I don't think that's so far fetched considering how many things can affect the working of the brain and how many things can cause physical changes in the brain (eg severe prolonged depression causes changes in the hippocampus, which can lead to memory problems).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-10-18), Luvmybully (08-10-18)
Old 06-10-18, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I mean, is there such thing as adult-onset autism?

ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. The DSM definition is based on solid statistical evidence.
That's the question...
Old 06-10-18, 08:35 PM

Thanked 25,719 Times in 11,999 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly we don't have a preponderance of evidence at this point but
in my opinion those who are diagnosed as adults actually had adhd all along
and were not diagnosed because they were female, they had inattentive type,
they had a good support system, or several different reasons.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (06-10-18), CharlesH (06-10-18), Fuzzy12 (06-11-18), Luvmybully (08-10-18), tudorose (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 04:50 AM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 905 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Adults who have AD(H)D, do not develop age appropriate self regulation up to adulthood, then lose it in adulthood.

What ever the health issues these adults have, if they did not have a lack of self regulation since about age 7, it is not AD(H)D.

The researchers should not be calling it, "adult onset AD(H)D".

There are some extremely important points to take from this article.

The appropriate environmental support/conditions can help reduce the negative impact of living with AD(H)D (so much so, that some people may never need to get officially diagnosed or take medication), and the inappropriate environmental support/conditions make things worse.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-11-18 at 05:11 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 08:38 AM

Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,125 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

They need to be careful not to diagnose adhd in adults with no family history and no indications of adhd ever before in case they miss something way more serious.

Adhd is a pervasive developmental disorder. The notion that it can suddenly appear is ridiculous. Late diagnosis yes that's real. But late onset just doesn't compute
CharlesH (06-11-18), Fuzzy12 (06-11-18), Lunacie (06-11-18), peripatetic (07-20-18)
Old 06-11-18, 09:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,944 Times in 14,763 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
They need to be careful not to diagnose adhd in adults with no family history and no indications of adhd ever before in case they miss something way more serious.

Adhd is a pervasive developmental disorder. The notion that it can suddenly appear is ridiculous. Late diagnosis yes that's real. But late onset just doesn't compute
I agree. Part of me worries that people will just slap the adhd dx on people because they dont want to dig further or because it seems like the easiest way out.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18), willow129 (07-19-18)
Old 06-11-18, 10:07 AM

No, adults who don't have evidence of symptoms before the age of 12 might not have ADHD as ADHD by definition is a neuro developmental disorder. I do agree with that.

But what about these adults who show all symptoms of ADHD, have no evidence of childhood symptoms and maybe don't fit any other disorder either? What do you do about them? What do you think they should do?

The problem currently is that these people I suppose are just being sent on their way. Or they are given anti depressants, anti anxiety, etc meds which might not help. Since stimulants arrsupposedto be prescribed only for people with ADHD (or narcolepsy or whatever), unless you have an adhd diagnosis you can't get stimulants. But what if these people would also benefit from stimulants or any other ADHD specific treatment?

My point is I wonder if there are people who don't have ADHD but they have something that very much looks like ADHD and responds to the same treatment as ADHD. In ADHD the abnormality is neuro developmental but maybe there are other causes that result in the same abnormalities and therefore the same symptoms and in turn respond the same treatment?

(Eg I wonder if depression or chronic stress can cause the same "damage" or the same pathology if that's the right word. )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (08-10-18), namazu (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 905 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
No, adults who don't have evidence of symptoms before the age of 12 might not have ADHD as ADHD by definition is a neuro developmental disorder. I do agree with that.

But what about these adults who show all symptoms of ADHD, have no evidence of childhood symptoms and maybe don't fit any other disorder either? What do you do about them? What do you think they should do?

The problem currently is that these people I suppose are just being sent on their way. Or they are given anti depressants, anti anxiety, etc meds which might not help. Since stimulants arrsupposedto be prescribed only for people with ADHD (or narcolepsy or whatever), unless you have an adhd diagnosis you can't get stimulants. But what if these people would also benefit from stimulants or any other ADHD specific treatment?

My point is I wonder if there are people who don't have ADHD but they have something that very much looks like ADHD and responds to the same treatment as ADHD. In ADHD the abnormality is neuro developmental but maybe there are other causes that result in the same abnormalities and therefore the same symptoms and in turn respond the same treatment?

(Eg I wonder if depression or chronic stress can cause the same "damage" or the same pathology if that's the right word. )
There are multiple factors involved in the making of AD(H)D.

Types of distresses, like types of chronic depressions and types of chronic anxieties are some of the factors/components involved in making the AD(H)D.

Individual specifics depends on individual experiences.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-11-18 at 02:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-11-18)