ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-07, 12:41 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
AS far as hyperfocus goes? "Important" lies in the mind of the ADDer!
Old 02-15-07, 05:57 PM

timmyo is on a distinguished road
Hyperfocus in Court

Hyperfocus is one of the ADD facets I truly love, as well. I would become enveloped in hyperfocus when I was trying cases in my previous life as a lawyer - it was abslutely awesome. I did felony criminal defense work, and the more serious and disturbing or notorious the case, the more intense my hyperfocus. I would most often be cross examining a witness or delivering a final argument, when it was almost like Clarence Darrow came to sit on my shoulder, and whisper in my ear. My vision would tunnel to only the witness or the jury, all sound save that of my own voice or that of the witness would fade, my whole being would calm, and I became, if I may say so myself, fantastic. I could remember tiny details from multiple sources, and tie them all together in a way that made my argument or questioning seem simple to the judge or jury. Even my rhetorical style became more elegant and precise. In one big case, I hammered a witness so hard he answered my last question by simply sighing "I don't know what to say." I closed the questioning by responding, "I knew that all along. Your honor, I have no more use for this witness." I gave on closing argument in a murder case that had four or five of the jurors crying. Other lawyers used to come watch my arguments as a form of entertainment. Fun stuff, heady times.

The dangerous part, however, was that I began to "count on" hyperfocus; the lightning strike, so to speak, became my preparation, and that's a bad way to practice law successfully. When the hyperfocus wasn't there, the danger that my disorganization would jeapordize the case was palpable ... But baby, when I was "on," I was really, really good!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timmyo For This Useful Post:
Chelsea Dagger (02-01-11), hideout (08-20-09), ks2358 (08-05-11), Layla771 (07-28-10), Mr. Guy (03-06-14), Pensosa (02-21-10), Sarai (06-01-10)
Old 02-28-07, 04:29 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Zach326 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Good story timmyo

I have had similar experiences with hyper focus

But like you I can't control it.

Oh well
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-07, 07:46 AM
Contributor

jacinta will become famous soon enough
so, is there life after being a defence lawyer? why did you stop?
Old 03-05-07, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Flutterbudget has a spectacular aura aboutFlutterbudget has a spectacular aura about
What happens to your hyperfocus powers when you are on meds? I am debating trying meds; I would like to get rid of the unfocused - brain going 1000mph to nowhere side of ADD; but I do love my hyperfocus moments. Like many of you, that is when I feel truly alive. However, with three small children vying for attention, I seem to be constantly irritable and crabby due to hyperfocus being interrupted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flutterbudget For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 03-17-07, 11:27 PM
Contributor

selby will become famous soon enough
Today I've had a huge problem with hyperfocusing. I'm supposed to be doing homework that's weeks late but I've been playing computer games for thirteen hours STRAIGHT. As the day went by I got more and more depressed because of this... auuughhh!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to selby For This Useful Post:
Grank18cm (07-16-09), Senzafine (03-18-12), talkfreak (11-28-10)
Old 04-03-07, 10:29 PM

timmyo is on a distinguished road
I didn't just stop ... I was asked to stop. I was terrific in the courtroom, gawd awful out of the courtroom ... couldn't quite wrap my head around some pretty important things - stuff like keeping the office checkbook straight, paying taxes timely and correctly, filing things on time, even if I thought they were unimportant ... since you're a member here, you get the drift!

There IS life after lawyering, although its difficult. There's alot of money in lawyering, and I miss that part. There's alot of excitement in lawyering, too, and I miss being in the newspapers and on tv, whether that labels me an egotist or not!

Conversely, it's nice to work at night in peace, without the phone ringing at 3 am (most crooks work nights) and without the jail calls ("please help; if I don't get out tonight, I'll lose my job and my wife!").

At times, I'll drive to an old courthouse with some terrific architecture, and just putter around. I'll read in the law library, slip into the courtroom and pace, sit at counsel table, ect. It's kind of sad, but also kind of cool - I'll even put on one of the old trial suits - braces and cufflinks, and wear a cool topcoat and hat. C'est la vie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timmyo For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10), Mr. Guy (03-06-14)
Old 07-09-07, 06:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of
I found a job in which hyperfocus is actually very helpful. I'm a computer programmer and when I really get into a programming problem the hyper gets switched on and I can go on for hours, even days if necessary. But woe upon her/him who disturbs me and drags me out of it - especially if it is because I need to be dragged kicking and screaming into a meeting.

I dont become agressive. I'm never aggressive, but I *am* quite grumpy and not all colleagues value that lol

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
djaquay (11-02-08), Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 07-16-07, 03:12 PM
Jr Member

Erzan is on a distinguished road
Today is full of discovery for me. I think i may have experience hyperfocus.

A sociological topic came into my head and i got a pen, paper and scribbled furiously for 30mins. When I stopped, i typed it up, four pages worth. I sent it to my teacher and she was very shocked of the high level of the essay and asked me how long it took me to do that! In addition, i said... err 30mins.

One time we had an ICT memory test and i had to go home, learn as much of the facts and come in the next day and complete the test. Like usual i got home and forgot to take it out of my bad, got to college and it was one hour before the exam and lesson. I went to the college library to wait for lesson to start, took out my ICT paper and read it. Came out the ICT exam with 100% score.

In addition, i once stayed in my room, never spoke a word or moved and read a 600a page book in one day-Harry potter.

In addition, i think i get like this a lot; i am usually very angry and snappy when i am pulled away from doing something. For example when i am on the pc and i am being called i get so stressed and fell ready to explode, sometimes i have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erzan For This Useful Post:
Pensosa (02-21-10)
Old 07-17-07, 02:19 AM

Less Headroom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbudget
What happens to your hyperfocus powers when you are on meds? I am debating trying meds; I would like to get rid of the unfocused - brain going 1000mph to nowhere side of ADD; but I do love my hyperfocus moments. Like many of you, that is when I feel truly alive. However, with three small children vying for attention, I seem to be constantly irritable and crabby due to hyperfocus being interrupted.
Has anyone any answers to this. I'm newly medicated myself, coming out of a long period of probable depression where I had no focus.

Does it still happen with the meds? Or does normal functioning have that high a price?
Old 07-24-07, 01:51 AM

jlgntn is on a distinguished road
Just reading your posts about hyperfocusing gets my blood boiling. I relate to you Timmi. I am in sales/business and I have had many moments just the same although reading about a career in law has me questioning my decision to stay away from it. Do any of you have any advice in getting yourself in the hype zone with your focus of choice?
Old 07-24-07, 01:59 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Does it still happen with the meds? Or does normal functioning have that high a price?
Yes, it can, but you will be less inclined to be crankly when disturbed. You might also miss the total exclusionary experience of unmedicated hyperfocus, more easily coming out of it when you hear/sense/etc a distraction.

Anyway, hyperfocus is not exclusively an AD/HD thing, folks in the autistic spectrum can do it, too.

Quote:
Do any of you have any advice in getting yourself in the hype zone with your focus of choice?
True, neurodiversity-induced hyperfocus is not something one can induce, sorry to disappoint you. Hyperfocus is not a skill.

Old 07-24-07, 07:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Medication reduced the intensity of my hyperfocus. I"m a lot less likely to stay up all night researching some obscure thing like handedness in insects (yes insects can be left handed, most are right handed) when I should be doing something else. I still sidetrip and hyperfocus on things, but not so intensely as in the past.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 07-24-07, 08:32 PM

bremersonne is on a distinguished road
I think hyperfocusing has always been a huge issue for me. It has helped me in the past, e.g. when listening to others. ADDers are not supposed to be good listeners, but I would always hyperfocus on the other person and be the best listener around (but only in one-on-one conversations, if there are more people, I get withdrawn from the conversation and my mind drifts). Also, it could make up for my procrastination in school, I think it's basically what got me through school.
Recently, it has gotten me in some serious trouble though. About two years ago during finals week I started researching my genealogy. I was on the computer probably 48 hours straight, unable to stop, sleep, or do anything else. It was horrible. So for the last two years I have hyperfocused on my genealogy or somebody elses, if one gets boring I start another. If it is not genealogy, I hyperfocus on something else. I stopped going to classes regularly (I'm in graduate school), stopped doing assignments, stopped attending to my apartment, etc. Hyperfocusing has been more detrimental to me than my other ADD characteristics. Probably having a laptop and constant internet access and living by myself (with nobody to get me out of my zones) doesn't help
Why do we hyperfocus? Is our mind bored by the other things around us? Are we looking for the stimulation? Is it the hunter in us that caught on to his prey? Do other people have it as bad? It seems like I can't do anything unless I hyperfocus on it (so often I don't do a lot).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bremersonne For This Useful Post:
Grank18cm (07-16-09), Pensosa (02-21-10)
Old 07-25-07, 11:13 AM

Well, the hyperfocus phenomenon does fit in very neatly with the Hunter Brain Theory, yes. Since you seem to be familiar with that I won't expound upon it and we can just say "Maybe that's it.".

AD/HD is a disorder of attention inconsistencey. Too little or too much, we just do not tend to live in the middle area, where NTs seem to fall.

Hyperfocus can cause problems just like inattention can. I can cite examples from my own life: hyperfocus so long on internet that I actually trigger arthritis flareups, hyperfocus and lose sleep long enough to trigger a bipolar cycle . I get a lot of info into my brain, or I get a lot of artwork accomplished but I pay a price for that.

All in all, I prefer to hyperfocus as little as possible, since I always seem to wind up in one type of pain or another thanks to it. Some people like to try to live "in the zone" but since its not something we control? I do not see that as a viable option at all.

That's something I appreciate about my being medicated. Like Speedo said, if I am triggered to hyperfocus, its not typically hours upon hours anymore. I am also fully aware on the subconcious level what exactly hyperfocus is and so is my family, so while I may bark when disturbed, I am easily able to go "Whoops! Hyperfocus, that's hard for me to stop...but thanks for geting me out of that state."