ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-07, 11:56 AM

irridion is on a distinguished road
I cannot switch on hyperfocus but I know how to bring it about, if I procrastinate long enough about doing an essay or some such I will eventually panic and this can bring about the hyperofucs allowing me to complete the assignment in no time. I do get fully burnt out afterwards though...

As it relates to medication, when I was on dex (at one point was 110mg/day) I would end up completely abosrbed into everything and anything. I tried to write an exam and failed it becuase I was soooo slow and could not track time...My. Dr. calls that hyperfocus or sticky thoughts...different from how we define hyperfocus...more like zombie-ism, I also would easily fall into an ADD rage and was ****ed off all the time on those high doses.

There are also times when I just completely space out for a few minutes and have no idea what occured around me, it's alomost like tuning a radio station...sometimes it's clear, other times there is static..
Old 07-29-07, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

busyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nice
I didn't even know this thing had a name until I read about it here - I just thought it was my own personal version of crazy. Hyperfocus in all of it's forms is the story of my life - from early childhood. The funny thing is, it was just fun back then - I loved to be "away" in my mind. It didn't cause a lot of problems, other than being labeled a "space-cadet". I did well in school. If I was interested in something, I was therefore good at it. Didn't fit in or make friends easily, though.

Even as a single adult, hyperfocus didn't cause many problems. I could get away with playing video games for 8 hours straight after work, with just a quick break in the middle to make some popcorn for dinner! Mind you, at this point I'd given up on personal relationships of any kind.

But today, as a married, 40-something mother with a home business - the hyperfocus causes serious problems. There's just so much more to manage - so many things that have to be done that can't be completed in a day or a week, and have to properly prioritized. So many things that can't be put off - like a husband and son wanting dinner, and popcorn just won't do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roly poly
My biggest greivence with hyperfocus is that I end up blocking out those who are close to me. I forget about things that should be addressed. Nothing matters other then what's at hand.
That says it perfectly. When I am hyperfocused and working, I am in overdrive, on a roll, I just need to finish one...more...thing... And then it's 8:00 and I haven't made dinner yet. My son's not that hungry though, because I've been brushing him off with cheese sticks and fruit snacks all evening. I KNOW it's wrong, I know it's poor management, but I cannot seem to change it!!! I just do the same things over and over. I've always thought it must be obsession, but I don't fit anything I've read about OCD. Needless to say, I feel like a really crappy wife and mom. As if my self-esteem isn't bad enough, I can't help but feel that I'm just not trying hard enough.

So that's the way it's been for years ...but to end on a positive note, I must say that I am thrilled to have found this forum and people who are so much like me (I honestly didn't know there were any). I am trying the ADDplanner (mentioned in the Software thread) and using a countdown of pop-up notes to help me transition off of tasks that I am hyperfocusing on - and on to things that need to be done by a certain time. And OMG it really works! I feel like there is some kind of control - some kind of order - and my son is thriving on it as well.

"PARADISE... is exactly like where you are right now, only much... much... better..." - Laurie Anderson

I must've gotten here late because I didn't get the hand-out...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to busyhermit For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10), melissa21rose (11-23-09), Pensosa (02-21-10)
Old 07-29-07, 09:04 PM

oldsalt2007 is on a distinguished road
Talking you are right

I can't speack for a young person playing video games though I can talk about what happens to me. When I hyper focias on somethings.
It's not the hyper focias thats hard its the sudden unexpected transishen into
other things thats hard. I can understand why kids have a hard time with this
thay lack the self controle to change, With out it becoming a majer issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsalt2007 For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-07, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Jesse 7.0 will become famous soon enough
I feel I do this most by painting. I completely drown out all noise and listen to music while painting. I have lost track of time and wondered where everyone went.

Water is my eye, most faithful mirror~Massive Attack "Teardrop"

I kill the noise
when it gets too much
When it gets too much
I kill the noise ~DJ SHADOW (featuring Chris James) "Erase You"
Old 08-05-07, 03:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

blink will become famous soon enough
Me too. I get sucked into painting or drawing while listening to music and never notice anything in the outside world, especially time. Hyperfocus=trance
Old 08-05-07, 03:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Jesse 7.0 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink
Me too. I get sucked into painting or drawing while listening to music and never notice anything in the outside world, especially time. Hyperfocus=trance
I love trance music. I listen to Massive Attack, Tricky, and the dust brothers when I paint.

Water is my eye, most faithful mirror~Massive Attack "Teardrop"

I kill the noise
when it gets too much
When it gets too much
I kill the noise ~DJ SHADOW (featuring Chris James) "Erase You"
Old 08-05-07, 03:50 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Trance is an excellent way to put it, Blink.
Old 08-05-07, 06:27 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
Bob is always asking me why Im dont paint more, etc...because then I have to stop painting at some point and I usually dont want to...I have been known to be completely BORED on the internet and still lose track of time... I mean what the heck? I dont read before bed because I will be up all night finishing the book.

I have gotten into the habit of getting up a bit earlier than everyone else and setting my alarm for half hour before they get up for work (Bob and my daughter Sammie) Then I hop to breakfast for them. I used to use the alarm thingy for my youngest for when she was being disciplined, there was no argument about how much longer...now I use it to discipline me...what goes around comes around I suppose.
Old 08-05-07, 06:29 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
Oh, the alarm thingy is so I can just space out into what ever I am doing til time to do something important for someone else (Im not known for clear communication, am I?)
Old 08-05-07, 07:49 PM

bremersonne is on a distinguished road
"When I am hyperfocused and working, I am in overdrive, on a roll, I just need to finish one...more...thing... And then it's 8:00 and I haven't made dinner yet. My son's not that hungry though, because I've been brushing him off with cheese sticks and fruit snacks all evening. I KNOW it's wrong, I know it's poor management, but I cannot seem to change it!!! I just do the same things over and over. I've always thought it must be obsession, but I don't fit anything I've read about OCD. Needless to say, I feel like a really crappy wife and mom. As if my self-esteem isn't bad enough, I can't help but feel that I'm just not trying hard enough."

Well said!

I just spend several evenings on the computer AGAIN hyperfocusing on something... I talked to my boyfriend afterwards, he was kind of upset, he said when I do this he kind of gets the same upset feeling in his stomach that he did when he was a kid and his alcoholic father had an episode. I mean, I can easily think that it is somehow like an addiction. But it's scary. He says, he sees my life slip away because I focus so much on one thing and do not take care of the things and the people that are really important to me.

It also reminds me of the couple that was on the news just recently who literally neglected their children because they were playing computer games. This really scares me. I don't think I could ever do this, but yet here I am "wasting" hours on stuff that really means nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to bremersonne For This Useful Post:
Grank18cm (07-16-09)
Old 08-18-07, 12:16 PM

Paithan will become famous soon enough
I once talked to a Doctor (the one who diagnosed me) who said that he really hates the name ADD/ADHD. He claimed that the word "deficit" implies that we are lacking something when he feels that it really isn't the case. It really helps to have had a Dr. who considered himself ADD. We talked a while about it during the diagnosis (which I think he had made in the first 15 mins). We kind of came to the conclusion that it isn't really our lack of ability to concentrate or our lack of being able to give our attention to some topic. But it is more of us not being able to give our attention to the things that society thinks we should be concentrating on. In this aspect, Hyperfocus is both our blessing and our curse.

When I was running a kitchen, I had the ability to completely zero in on a problem until it was solved (as long as it was a problem that I found interesting and not a normal, mundane boring one). I loved using different combinations with the food. If I felt we needed a new pasta dish, I wouldn't sleep at night cause I was too busy turning the problem over and over in my head. It was a blessing in that I could come up with some interesting and unique solutions to some problems that were challenging and new for me. It was a curse because there were times that I ignored some of the everyday challenges. I can't begin to think of all the times that I completely ignored a conversation cause I was preoccupied with something or how many times I almost got into a car accident driving home from work.

I am of the opinion that I would not call Hyperfocus an aspect of my ADHD, I would say that Hyperfocus IS the ADD. I like the name "Hyperfocus" instead of "ADD", it sounds so much more posetive than a "deficit" and it (for me anyhow) comes closer to the truth... my mind isn't going blank and I don't have a problem concentrating on the stuff I find interesting. I am just concentrating on something that I find more interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paithan For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 08-21-07, 09:02 PM

Eaglehawk is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one that when I hyperfocus my medicne seems to wear off in less time then it should, and when I come out of the hyperfocus I feel drained like I've been working on something for days without sleeping?
http://eaglehawkonline.com/blog/
Old 09-26-07, 07:55 AM

Dieharder2k is on a distinguished road
Hey im new to these threads but ironically I was hyperfocusing reading up on ADHD for pointers and i remembered i actually had a user name on these forums lol.
I love to hyperfocus, i think that its one of the coolest tricks anyone can do. It can be a little extreme though because if i get really interested in something i will research it for like 4 hours straight with like 5 browsers open because i cant stand waiting for the pages to load and i have cable broadband lol. I find that its not just like being able retain information better but I find I can process like multiple aspects of the thing im studying at the same time. Like researching the best video card along with checking pricing for motherboard cpu combo's, and be completely absorbed for hours doing it.

SF
Old 09-26-07, 08:07 AM

Dieharder2k is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by irridion
I cannot switch on hyperfocus but I know how to bring it about, if I procrastinate long enough about doing an essay or some such I will eventually panic and this can bring about the hyperofucs allowing me to complete the assignment in no time. I do get fully burnt out afterwards though...
I can totally relate to this, I was actually thinking that I can bring about hyperfocus but my method of doing this is basically just make myself believe that if I don't sit down and do it right there (like essay or something) all hell is gonna break loose and im severely going to regret it and really that I NEED to do it. However I realize thats just the same feeling as when I procrastinate .

The ironic thing is that procrastination is really a bad habit. But when it comes to the end of the line and that panic comes around, I hyperfocus my butt off on the project regardless of it's fun factor and it actually turns out pretty good in like a really short time.
Which doesn't really help break the habit...

Scott
Old 09-26-07, 08:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

steviefranchise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
This reminds me... I was in a cafe having coffee and I totally zoned out. A very perceptive fellow I knew caught me doing it and he commented "I wish I could do that"... I was a little embarassed having gotten caught red-handed zoning like that.

It is the one characteristic of ADHD that I deeply appreciate.

Me
Amen Brotha'