ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-09, 06:14 PM

magdelaine will become famous soon enough
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisefolly View Post

Have any of you figured out how to stop the hyperfocus when it starts? While I have found the hyperfocus helpful on a couple of occassions (researching a project, catching up on work I've put off), most of the time it causes more problems than it helps. For example, when I was in school, I would start researching for a paper, but I wouldn't be able to stop (usually resulting in too much info). In one case, I picked my topic and started research a week before it was assigned and still managed to turn the paper in about a week late!
Oh my goodness, this is exactly what I experience! I failed a writing course in high school because of this exact thing. I researched the hell out of a subject (Vietnam war) and then I couldn't write the paper because a) it was impossible to organize and b) I started having nightmares.

I do know that if you can be disciplined (ha!) about the timer thing that this WILL work. Especially if you use your timer to schedule exercise breaks...even five minute ones. Also, it helps to keep a list of things that you need to do in a day that provide variety...some reading, some writing, some housework, something relaxing. Put a time limit to those things and then SWITCH...regardless how successful you were at that task for the given amount of time. This can really help me from getting in the hyperfocus rut.

BUT, if I'm anxious or depressed, it's very very hard for me to be disciplined about my "schedule" and sometimes I just have to accept being "lost" for a week or so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magdelaine For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10), Pensosa (02-21-10), selby (06-18-09)
Old 05-05-09, 06:06 PM

Lesliek57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
What y'all think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus describes an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), or autism. Counter to this view, the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ADHD (for example) do not include anything resembling hyperfocus and instead emphasise opposite behaviors such as "often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks".

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation, but Osho emphasized that meditation is not concentration. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out." In sports, it is sometimes referred to as "being in the zone."

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4123.html

Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available. For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

In ADHD Children, hyperfocus allows them to participate in computer games or watch high-action movies - but at a cost. The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source.

http://school.familyeducation.com/le...nts/37763.html

Can a gifted child who spends hours focused on a task still have ADHD?
Some parents and professionals assume that a child who can concentrate for a long time cannot have ADHD. This is incorrect. It's understandable that an observer might dismiss the possibility of ADHD, because from all appearances the child is so absorbed in a task that everything around her fades into oblivion.

While this state of rapt attention may be the sign of a creative mind, it may also be "hyperfocus," which is a similar condition that individuals with ADHD frequently experience. You can't tell children with and without ADHD from how they engage in high-interest activities -- such as videos, computer games, or reading for pleasure. The key is effort. How your child performs during projects that require effort -- but aren't necessarily high-interest -- can mark the difference.

So a child with ADHD can concentrate for long periods of time?
ADHD is not characterized by a child's inability to pay attention, but rather is marked by his inability to control his attention. A child with ADHD has great difficulty paying attention to tasks that are not immediately rewarding, that require effort.

While "hyperfocus" can be a positive sign of commitment to a task and a sign of motivation, it becomes a problem when a gifted child is asked to shift from one task to another. In other words, while this intense concentration can be positive for the child's thinking, it can also cause problems in her behavior.

Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you?

Crazy
I have ADD / ADHD and am finally addressing it as a 51 year old adult. My doctor has me on adderall and vyvance mix to address both seretonin and dopamine deficiancies. I take a time release on both.
At age six I was tested because I would get hyperfocused and upset when tasks suddenly changed. The diagnosis: IQ genius - 137 with no common sense .This they said would average my IQ out to around 100 which is BS.

I am a published artist and can focus intensly for extreme amounts of time (6 to 8 hour) when painting. I have always hated being interupted when I get into the zone.I am GATE (gifted and talented program ) tested.

This problem seems to manifest in my ability to harness and apply in logistical way,my often brilliant abstract thinking abilities. I can orally tell you 20 ways to solve problems that most can only give 2 or three tried and true ways to but don't ask me to organize and prepare presentations of these ideas. Don't know why this is but it is so frustrating.

I was reading 7th grade books in 2nd grade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesliek57 For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10)
Old 05-10-09, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliek57 View Post
I have ADD / ADHD and am finally addressing it as a 51 year old adult. My doctor has me on adderall and vyvance mix to address both seretonin and dopamine deficiancies. I take a time release on both.
At age six I was tested because I would get hyperfocused and upset when tasks suddenly changed. The diagnosis: IQ genius - 137 with no common sense .This they said would average my IQ out to around 100 which is BS.

I am a published artist and can focus intensly for extreme amounts of time (6 to 8 hour) when painting. I have always hated being interupted when I get into the zone.I am GATE (gifted and talented program ) tested.

This problem seems to manifest in my ability to harness and apply in logistical way,my often brilliant abstract thinking abilities. I can orally tell you 20 ways to solve problems that most can only give 2 or three tried and true ways to but don't ask me to organize and prepare presentations of these ideas. Don't know why this is but it is so frustrating.

I was reading 7th grade books in 2nd grade.
Wow, your story pretty much matches mine except I'm almost 40. I sought a diagnosis because of the organizational problem...I'm so tired of not being able to organize my ideas. I'm really hoping medication will help! It's funny, I'm a painter too and I haven't painted in almost 10 years. Why? Well, in many ways it's because of the hyperfocus element. I'm a mom to 4 kids, ages 15, 7, 3, and 1. I found that it was just too aggravating, that I was just too much of a b****, if I was being constantly interrupted from the "zone" while I worked. For some reason, interruption while on the computer doesn't "hurt" as much, so I do/teach web design now.

But I admit that in the back of my mind I plan on going back to painting when the kids are older and I can zone to my heart's content!
The Following User Says Thank You to magdelaine For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-09, 08:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice

Yup, I hyperfocus a lot! Mainly on video games and when listening to music.

When I'm hyperfocused on games it's quite bad, cos I'll be sat there for hours on end, only getting up to get a drink and a snack and not eating properly...sometimes not at all and when I do get up, my legs hurt from being sat in the same position for so long!

I guess I hyperfocus at work as well. I work at a theme park, which is one of my obsessions, so I get really into it. When I'm doing something that's fast-paced...and then when I "come out" of the hyperfocus, I feel really confused and zoned out, and pretty slow when people are talking to me

This might sound silly, but is hyperfocusing related/anything to do with hyperactivity? The reason I ask is because on my report from my first appt. with my psych, in the section where she wrote about hyperactivity, she said that I didn't have many symptoms at present (but did when I was younger), however I can become very focused on something that interests me a lot.

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

Old 06-10-09, 10:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you .

Crazy
No-thank you!
Old 06-10-09, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

It's good when i'm focusing on something i really enjot-soccer/football
It's not so good in a crowded room when i'm focusing on something i really should'nt be-but then i guess it's probably more interesting than the other 'stuff' that's going on like 'blah blah blah....'(i think i've mentioned this before to peoples-now i know why they get confused with a not so nice person-in their eyes )
Old 06-16-09, 12:05 PM

cirezaru is on a distinguished road

I had no idea that there was a name for this, or that is was add related. Thanks
Old 06-16-09, 12:19 PM

imnotcrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This reminds me... I was in a cafe having coffee and I totally zoned out. A very perceptive fellow I knew caught me doing it and he commented "I wish I could do that"... I was a little embarassed having gotten caught red-handed zoning like that.

It is the one characteristic of ADHD that I deeply appreciate.

Oh yes, I absolutely love that I can do that, lol as my husband calls it, I go into Mary Land ....(cuz my name's mary).

But like I tell him, It's always sunny in Mary Land~!
"I'll give you the first one" he said smiling. She looked up at him as he struggled to open the package of toffee, and smiled, all the while praying that he didn't notice she had already opened it earlier and ate 6 of them."
Old 06-16-09, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeLL will become famous soon enough

I remember one time I was hyperfocused on a book I was reading during class. The teacher told me to put it down, I did but when she told us to open our textbooks to whatever page we were on, I picked up the non-school book and turned to that page. The teacher, thinking I was being a smart ***** kicked me out of class. I about lost my mind. One of my good friends that knew I was ADHD and not being treated at that time, tried to come to my defense "Hells bells Mrs. ******** that was a bi*chy thing to do." He got kicked out with me. Needless to say, we didn't make it to the principal's office until a school wide announcement was made looking for us about 30 minutes later. We were in the gym, shooting around and of course I was hyperfocused on shooting the "J," didn't hear the announcement until my buddy who was rebounding for me stopped passing me the ball and with a look that coulda killed, told me we had to get to the office and now. He told me why, we went and my principal, who knew of the ADHD, basically laughed the whole issue off. He told me he understood the level of focus I was in, but did sorta chew me out for not reporting immediately to the office. He also knew basketball was my vice and settled me down. He thanked my buddy for bringing me to shoot beforehand because he didn't want to deal with my irritation and mouthiness because he would've actually HAD to discipline me had I went to his office with the attitude I had leaving the class...

Long story short, when my hyperfocus is used in a productive way, it is one of my greatest assets, but when I hyperfocus on things that are inappropriate for the time and place it's a horrible curse. I wouldn't give up the ability to hyperfocus for the world though, because even though I can't quite control it, I can control it enough to usually make it an asset. (Put in bold because after rereading this drivel this is the only relevent part!)
Old 06-26-09, 01:28 PM

Simulacro has a spectacular aura aboutSimulacro has a spectacular aura about

Does it count if I'm hyperfocused reading all the pages of this site?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simulacro For This Useful Post:
eminorsoul (08-05-09), Grank18cm (07-17-09), Layla771 (07-29-10)
Old 06-28-09, 11:25 AM
Contributor

Goofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to all

Ever since I accepted the the fact I had ADD I havent been able to stop hyperfocusing on having ADD. Those close to me have made it clear they are tired off hearing about it. So now I just sit and think about ADD or go on this forum and read the posts . The meds seem to help me from hyperfocusing on other things but I am still obsessed with ADD and scrapbooking. Does anyone have any advice. Do you ever stop thinking about ADD. Sometimes I wonder if I should see a shrink. I have slowed down on this forum cause I dont want to get in to trouble at work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofycook For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (06-28-09), Grank18cm (07-17-09)
Old 07-06-09, 12:51 PM

Goofycook,

I have the same problem as you, but it is always shifting on me...recently for me it's been swine flu. Yes, I've been obsessing over swine flu (which I do think will be a big problem this fall but that's another story).

Medication does help but I do get stuck in ruts... The things I do to help me is 1) recognize the hyperfocus 2) ban or limit the hyperfocus subject (I'm on the computer a lot so I keep my time on various sites to 15 minutes, twice a day) 3) deliberately choose something else to watch/read/listen to 4) and exercise.

You have to use some discipline, but it's worth it to break the lock on your thoughts. Once you get started, if you keep up the discipline, it will get easier to do with time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magdelaine For This Useful Post:
Goofycook (07-07-09), Layla771 (07-29-10)
Old 07-17-09, 12:38 AM
Jr Member

Grank18cm is on a distinguished road

the more i think about hyperfocus, add, ****, all of this... the more it makes sense. i mean... wow... i have add. hyperfocus and my general luck of being intelligent has taken me this far. now i just need to learn my brain and move forward. don't know if this is awesome or if it's going to be too much of a burden for me... biblically (grew up christian) i would say that God doesn't give us more than we can handle. does that mean that tackling this opponent gives God more credibility... i'm lead to think yes.
Old 07-28-09, 08:43 PM
Jr Member

JawnBewty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.
At the risk of being too tangential... yeah, conventional wisdom says that computer/videogames capture the imagination of ADHD folks because they're "one of the few things that moves fast enough."

I've always felt that the reality was subtly different: it's not just that they're "fast enough." Games offer ADHD kids (and adults) the ability to control the rate of stimulation and I think that's the key. In most games the player has a lot of flexibility in how quickly or slowly they move around and progress do stuff. Even in a multiplayer game where the player isn't in sole control of the pace, they can choose their own style of play.

I don't game much any more, but I've noticed that the things I can hyperfocus on all have that in common!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JawnBewty For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10), Pensosa (02-21-10)
Old 08-05-09, 09:56 PM

Zacker will become famous soon enough

interesting .... this would explaine why I would much, much rather work alone than with a partner, helper, wife, child.. lol i HATE it when i have to stop to help them or hand them a tool or help lift something.. i also hate trying to teach someone something, id just prefer to do it myself. I get so mad when I have to stop what im doing to help someone with their job.