ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 01-31-04, 07:20 PM

BrooklynBoy is on a distinguished road
Problems with generic Dexedrine Spansules?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm not sure which are the important details...

Has anyone here switched from name-brand to generic Spansules? I was diagnosed with ADD about four years ago (at age 24), and after experimenting with a couple of different treatments, I ended up settling on 15mg Spansules 2x a day (around 9am and 2pm). It worked great--in addition to helping me focus, it greatly improved my verbal dyspraxia symptoms (though not the motor problems). But dealing with triplicate forms and fighting with the insurance company made me decide to try going without it...

Recently, after about 18 months off, I decided to go back on Dexedrine, at least for a while. In the time since I went off it, a generic Spansule became available and I thought that was good news (if I'm ever without insurance, I can afford it), but after being on it for three days, the side effects are driving me crazy. I'm constantly clenching my jaw, my mouth is always dry, I can't sleep and I have to schedule time to gag down food because I have NO appetite.

On the name-brand Spansules, I remember only minor side effects; there was some insomnia and decreased appetite in the beginning, but nothing like this, and other than that there was just minor GI problems (not happening this time...yet).

Aside from me teeth kind of hurting (from clenching my jaw) and minor anxiety, I feel fine. But I know these side effects (not eating or sleeping properly) will soon catch up with me. Anyone have any advice? I'm hoping these side effects will subside when my body adjusts to the drug, but from reading this forum and other online sources, I get the impression that they might be serious. Is it the switch to generic? Or is it possible that my body is now reacting differently to the drug than it did the first time? (I'm probably about 20lbs heavier now than I was back then...)

I've been dealing with my primary-care doctor (an internist) on this because I thought going back on the drug would be no big deal. Due to the side effects, I plan to track down a psychiatrist in the next week to discuss changing the dosage or the medication. But any advice in the meantime will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-04, 02:55 PM

iced_cooly is on a distinguished road
It could just be from not being on Dexedrine for a while. I just started Dexedrine (name-brand tablet form, 15 mg 2 times a day) a couple weeks ago and I had the same side effects as you did with the dry mouth and loss of appetite. I still have the dry mouth problem and my appetite is way down, but I don't have stomach pains like I used to so the negative side-effects have eased down and yours probably will too once your body gets more used to the meds. With your anxiety problem, I get a bit of a faster heart beat on my meds sometimes, I think that's normal. Hope the side-effects ease off for you.
Old 02-01-04, 10:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
wow my dexadrine are 5mg tablets
and I do 1 a day in the morning

yours are 15 mg

crap Id be flying on them

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 12:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

diesel is on a distinguished road
I take 15 mg 2x daily and suppliment with a 5mg am and 2-3 2.5 mg during the night to help me stay asleep! I only feel like Im flying when they wear off completely.

Having said that the amount of drug I take (doctor prescribed and is aware of my dosage) worries me no end I want to stop but cant seem to function without it.

No side effects any more! - just calm and relaxed.

I had same side effects when i first started - about 8 months ago.

They went away within a few weeks. If the effects are bothersome (and they are) reduce the dosage for a while - Try the short acting 5 mg tabs. Work fast and effective. For the sleeping this might be a leep but I found the ONLY was I can even get to sleep is by taking a small dose (1.25- 5mg - still experimenting) before bed!! I think it is the rebound ? My doc says there is no rebound, but when it wears off LOOK OUT! I get wired.

hope some of this helps - good luck.
I believe in the cosmos. All of us are linked to the cosmos. So nature is my god. To me, nature is sacred. Trees are my temples and forests are my cathedrals. Being at one with nature. (Mikhail Gorbachev)
Old 02-07-12, 05:18 PM

emilyam123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Problems with generic Dexedrine Spansules?

I have been taking dexedrine spansule 15mg 3times a day for @10 years. I have no insurance and have paid up to 400.00 for my rx-namebrand. Recently the price is 700.00 so I have swithched to the generic...horrible, not the same at all! Makes me irritable, headaches, insomnia etc... The namebrand is definitely different than the generic.
Old 02-07-12, 06:07 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,648 Times in 14,609 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its my understanding that teva barr is the only manufacturer of the spansules. BR549 is IMO an expert with this hopefully she will chime in.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-08-12, 12:01 AM

La Sleepy will become famous soon enough

Maybe one of the reasons that the er capsules I''ve had to switch to (Barr generic) are not working for me is that they're the generic? But also it's really interesting to me that so many people take the spansules 2 or 3 x during the day.Because I was switched to extended release from immediate release only because of the shortage, I was not told how to take them. At first I tried a few different things, but was quickly told (online) that the er capsules should be taken first thing in the morning.

This has REALLY not worked for me. Taking thirty mgs of the er capsules at 5 am is just the worst thing ever. I tried it only once......never again. I still haven't found any effective way to take them, but two at 7 am and one at 9 am was as close as I could get to a possible work around for this.

I feel like a drug that has worked for me so beautifully for decades has become a nightmare to find, and still difficult to get prescribed, and the whole thing makes me want to do as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.....just quit the meds.
Old 02-08-12, 04:44 AM

OneRubySlipper will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Problems with generic Dexedrine Spansules?

BR549 is awesome.. I'm not an expert on as many meds, but this is what I have discovered...
Here is a link to the thread titled "Dexedrine Spansules" started by knownguy. There is info on brand identical generic spansules including NDC#s.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115613

CorePharma bought the brand formula from GSK and markets the branded spansules under their subsidiary, "Amedra". Catalent Pharma Solutions still manufactures the spansules as they did for GSK.

The big news is.... CorePharma markets a brand filled "generic"!!! You can find it on the CorePharma website. The chain pharmacy I went to said without insurance 90 of the 10mg "generic" spansules would cost $180

The Barr spansules felt dirty and I couldn't focus very well on them. I remember them being so much better in the past so, I hit the net and found this awesome solution!

Telling everyone might make my Rx harder to fill, but we have to stop this Teva/Barr wackiness somehow.. and y'all have been such help, I wanna return the favor.

My apologies for the long post.
1 x 10mg Adderall IR booster (generic)

My avatar is a tornado in Huntington Beach, CA...... yup.. seriously..

Last edited by OneRubySlipper; 02-08-12 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: misc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneRubySlipper For This Useful Post:
known_guy (02-08-12), La Sleepy (02-09-12)
Old 02-09-12, 01:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Oddly enough, I have NEVER taken Dexedrine Spansules or dextroamphetamine ER. The tablets by Barr are a bit inconsistent, but they remain my stimulant of choice aside from Desoxyn (far and away the most reliable, effective, and gentle stimulant I've taken).

I would not mind trying brand Spansules but wouldn't bother with Barr ER. I've read enough accounts on here to know that the two are really not comparable. Dexedrine Spansules have an exceptional reputation. Barr is just a lousy company. Their Dex ER capsules are notoriously difficult.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
La Sleepy (02-14-12), Quiet-eyes (02-01-16)
Old 02-01-16, 07:01 PM
Jr Member

Quiet-eyes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Oddly enough, I have NEVER taken Dexedrine Spansules or dextroamphetamine ER. The tablets by Barr are a bit inconsistent, but they remain my stimulant of choice aside from Desoxyn (far and away the most reliable, effective, and gentle stimulant I've taken).

I would not mind trying brand Spansules but wouldn't bother with Barr ER. I've read enough accounts on here to know that the two are really not comparable. Dexedrine Spansules have an exceptional reputation. Barr is just a lousy company. Their Dex ER capsules are notoriously difficult.
I notice your Avatar is the CorePharma Dexedrine Spansule generic.
I tried it and it was awful... Did you try it?

I haven't tried the TEVA BARR but will have to. Also Mallinckrodt.

The Brand Dexedrine Spansule that we all love and cant afford anymore was made by Amedra. RIP as nothing will ever work as good as that did.