ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-24-08, 08:20 PM
Jr Member

g_luckbot is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Does anyone else feel like crap on Dex?

This is my first post here. Well my doctor prescribes me Dexedrine, 10 mg, 1 tablet up to 4 times a day. Sometimes I take 4 sometimes I take less. However, the Pharmacy I go to gives me generic Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine tablets). I've stuck with the dex. because out of all the other pills I've tried nothing worked as well. My question is, does anyone else feel doped up on it when they take it. Sometimes it works really well, about 40% of the time. Then other times, I feel so incredibly lethargic I can't even bring myself to doing basic human things like shower, bruch my teeth, feed myself, or take my meds. Do you think it is because I'm taking generics? Am I at too low of a dose. The feelings of lethargy and slothness are significantly less when I take 20mg twice a day instead of 10mg 4 times a day. Also I feel like it can make me severly depressede sometimes, probably cause' its wearing off and it makes my vision worse. Sometimes it makes me think so clearly like a light switch turned on in my head and other times it makes me feel so cloudy and groggy. I try my best to take it at the same time every day but I don't follow a schedule very well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel like the majority of my life is a living hell. If you have any questions for me let me know. Thanks, Matt
Old 11-24-08, 08:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough
Re: Does anyone else feel like crap on Dex?

Are you getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night? If I stay up late and don't get a full night's sleep, the next day I feel like crap and the dex does'nt seem to work as well.
Also, don't drink stuff with citric acids or drink coffee before you take the dex because it diminishes the absorbtion and effect of the dex.
I take a bunch of Tums(antacids) right before I take my dex and this seems to make it more reliable.
Try a good multi-vitamin and omega 3 fish oil supplement daily.
IDK at least this works for me

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous

Last edited by E4rolls; 11-24-08 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-24-08, 09:29 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for the advice. I would say 50% of the time do I get 8 hours of sleep. I used to work third shift which really messed up my sleep patterns but even when I was a kid I always had terrible sleeping habits. I try to get eight hours but something always messes it up. I do try and avoid things with citric acid also but seems like every thing has it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 11:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

What generic are you taking? That can make a difference. The ones available now are Barr and Ethex, although Barr is the one that most pharmacies stock. It also has the worst reputation. Look for the name of the manufacturer on your bottle of Dex.

I've never taken Barr (I'm hoping to avoid it) but if you look around the Dex forum here, you'll find that many people complain that it makes them feel like crap. The generic with the best reputation is Mallinckrodt, which is no longer being manufactured. The brand names (Dexedrine and DextroStat) are either discontinued or really hard to find.

It's looking bleak for us Dex people.
Old 11-24-08, 11:53 PM
Jr Member

Wow, thanks. I looked at my bottle and their is no manufacturer's name on it. I'll ask though. Whenever I ask any kind of specifics, the pharmacist always gets an attitude. Does this happen to anybody else?
Old 11-25-08, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pharmacists are the most miserable little *******s...I mean, yes, sometimes I get an attitude from them. You have every right to ask questions about the drug you're being given, so try to ignore the attitude.

I'm surprised it's not on the bottle though. It usually appears in fine print near the bottom of the label. It's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. It would say something like Ethex Corp or Barr Labs. Or you can look at the pills themselves and then do a Google Images search for Barr and Ethex. It's likely to be one of those two.
Old 11-26-08, 09:56 PM

bailee33 will become famous soon enough

E4Rolls, I second your opinion (see above), and I will add that "normal" people who do not take meds do not always experience 10 days in a row of "wonderful" days, does that make sense to you? The human body is an amazing work in progress, you can't expect to feel the same way, under the same circumstances everyday. It matters how much water you drank, what you ate, how much sleep you got, etc. There are such things as coping strategies, that if you put in place can help relieve those "neg/or not so good feelings/distractions". A pill cannot and willnot solve all your problems, you must take responsibility for your own health.
Old 11-28-08, 12:06 PM

lovelyophelia will become famous soon enough

Make sure that you are taking the right dose. It's so important to remember to eat and to get enough sleep.

For me, I have trouble remembering to eat and sleep because on dex I never feel tired or hungry. So I start to feel like crap and then remember that I didn't eat breakfast or lunch, and once I eat something I feel better. I also found that if my dose is too high I don't enjoy music and feel depressed. I'm starting XR soon, but right now I am taking 20 mg twice a day. And I don't think it's so much important to take the meds at a certain time every day, but be aware of when they wear off. When your dose wears off take the next dose. That way you avoid that weird in between crappy feeling.
Old 11-30-08, 02:17 PM

brento334 is on a distinguished road

I agree with above poster. The only thing I have trouble with is loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping. What is the latest you all take it without it affecting your sleeping patterns? I usually try to go to bed by 11:30pm. I have found that taking after 4pm can cause problems. Thats if I dont do much physical activity during the day. I am in law school, and sitting on my butt all day and taking it later than 4 can cause problems. I notice when it starts wearing off because I get hungry. I had been taking dexidrine I believe. I just got a refill of dextrostat. We will see how it goes. I thought dexidrin was fine though. Oh...I am taking 10mg four hour release tablets.
Old 12-04-08, 01:16 AM
Jr Member

Arrow Re: Does anyone else feel like crap on Dex?

OK, found out it is Barr pharmaceuticals. Do you guys know what pharmacies sell the other brand that people seem to tolerate better? Oh, by the way I'm on 40mg a day, sometimes take that much sometimes I don't. It seems though when I do take the max it works better. I was thinking about increasing the dose up to 80 which I know is unhealthy but weighing the benefits from the negatives I think it would be better to try it. Oh, I also experienced when I first take the Dex my appetite is suppressed but 4-6 hours later I am so hungry I have an appetite that cannot be satisfied no matter how much I eat. Now does Dex make your body use up it's glucose reserves and is this why I pig out? Why does it seem like from what I've read other people don't experience this?
Old 12-04-08, 04:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_luckbot View Post
OK, found out it is Barr pharmaceuticals. Do you guys know what pharmacies sell the other brand that people seem to tolerate better? Oh, by the way I'm on 40mg a day, sometimes take that much sometimes I don't. It seems though when I do take the max it works better. I was thinking about increasing the dose up to 80 which I know is unhealthy but weighing the benefits from the negatives I think it would be better to try it. Oh, I also experienced when I first take the Dex my appetite is suppressed but 4-6 hours later I am so hungry I have an appetite that cannot be satisfied no matter how much I eat. Now does Dex make your body use up it's glucose reserves and is this why I pig out? Why does it seem like from what I've read other people don't experience this?
Do you mean that your doctor is going to prescribe 80mg a day? If not I would'nt suggest doubling your dose because you will run out in the middle of the month and ADHD will go untreated until you see your doctor again.
I made that mistake and went over 15 days of withdrawl, no fun!

I have less of an appetite but I have to remember to eat 3 times a day or else I feel irritable and all my muscles get very tense, very uncomfortable feelings. It would be nice to go without food and lose some weight but I just can't let myself starve all day. I don't have intense cravings for food when the dex wears off either.

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Old 12-04-08, 10:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I get very hungry when Dex wears off, and my theory is that I've been hungry all day but didn't notice because Dex was suppressing my appetite. The appetite suppression occurs in your brain, not your stomach. So your stomach might try to send hunger signals to your brain, but your brain never receives those signals because Dex is interfering. When Dex wears off, your brain suddenly receives the hunger signals that it was missing.

Because Dex makes me forget about food, I eat very little during the day. So all day, my body is starving, but my brain has no idea. At night, when Dex wears off, I suddenly become aware of how hungry I am, since I've hardly eaten all day.

I second the advice to not go up to 80 mg. That's way too much. Since you have 10 mg tablets, why not try 50 mg a day and see how you do?
Old 12-07-08, 10:36 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for all your replies/feedback. I meant that I was going to ask my doc to increase my dosage from 10mg 4x a day to 20mg 4x a day. When I take 10mg it doesn't work very much, sometimes it is not even noticeable to me that I've taken it. With taking twenty it helps much more.
To reply to someones comment about getting enough sleep, my sleep is terrible. It got way way way worse when I started working 3rd shift. I would get off when the sun was rising. On top of that, I live on the 11th floor, my apt faces Lake Michigan which acts like a huge mirror and my place is so incredibly bright in the morning. I think working third shift could have permanently messed up my sleep. Also, it is an efficientcy apt so it is tiny and also on the corner of the building so I have windows on all 3 sides of my place with no walls! Its beautiful but horrible if you have to sleep during the day.
Has anyone tried augmenting Dex with anything and had success? When I first took it it worked the best out of everything I tried but now it when I take it, it helps only sometimes. When I take it sometimes I am able to think more clearly, listen, hear people talk more clearly, but I would say this is only 1/3 of the time. Other times, 2/3 of the time I feel foggy, disconnected, depressed, lethargic, tired. Sometimes I even fall asleep after taking it. Also I do compulsive things. For example cleaning my fish tank a couple weeks ago I started cleaning it at 10pm until the next day 1pm. And also compulsive thinking. I wonder if my brain is becoming less receptive to medications. A little history about me: I've been on anti-depressants since 6th grade. I am 24 now. Also from 16 yo to 22 I drank a lot. I'm worried that I could have damaged my brain/receptors that affect mood, concentration etc. And since this is anonymous, I can be honest without worrying about embarrassment. To give you an idea of how much, I would drink at school, work, before job interviews, shopping, driving, in the bathroom or right in the class. I would put it in a tea bottle so no one knew. Anyways, does anyone think this could make it so medications are less absorbed in the brain. THANK YOU
Old 12-08-08, 12:24 AM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about

Matt,
do you have any experience with any other stimulants? What is the condition you are trying to treat with the dex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_luckbot View Post
When I take it sometimes I am able to think more clearly, listen, hear people talk more clearly, but I would say this is only 1/3 of the time. Other times, 2/3 of the time I feel foggy, disconnected, depressed, lethargic, tired. Sometimes I even fall asleep after taking it. Also I do compulsive things. For example cleaning my fish tank a couple weeks ago I started cleaning it at 10pm until the next day 1pm. And also compulsive thinking.
The other 2/3 of the time sounds like the dosage is too low. Amphetamine is a stimulant, but from my experience dosage is important in what type of effect it will have. I feel like low doses will help me focus, but bring processing down to where I might feel foggy. Higher dosages are usually more stimulating but this is not always the case.

The compulsive behavior might be a result of not enough stimulation compared to focus. Processing (thinking) may be necessary for recognizing and understanding anything, e.g., why am I cleaning my fish tank and what's a fish tank for? Focusing may be necessary for applying more of the brain for one thought process like doing a task, e.g., (in the ADHDers case) I really need to clean the fish tank, oh look at the fish! Too much focus may lead to compulsive behavior, and not enough may lead to not wanting to do any one thing so a balance is probably necessary.
Old 12-08-08, 04:28 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough

how much exercise do you do mate?