ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-29-09, 05:53 PM

GimmeShelter is on a distinguished road
Started Dex and feel tired, hazy can't function. HELP!!!

Hi, am new to stimulants so I am very confused. I started adderall about a month ago. tried every brand, IR and XR, generic, etc.. But it did cause me to have a racy feeling heart and insomnia. Plus, I had a lot of focus and clarity in my brain but I couldn't manage to do anything. Just stare at this forum looking for a better doctor and a better drug. i found the better doctor and he prescribed me plenty of dexamphetamine IR. i have a very high tolerance to all medicines. always have. even tylenol and advil, etc.. so he started me off on a fairly high dose. high for some, normal for others. he prescribed 1- 1 and 1/2 every 3-4 hours (or as needed) up to four times a day. he also gave me more adderall 30 mg IR in case i didn't like the dex. well, i was amped and excited. i had heard that dex gives you the "get up and go" that adderall does but without the racing heart. i am sad to say that i didn't find that to be true at all. It has had the opposite effect on me. I feel tired, moody, no energy or focus, etc.. so, after a couple of days i started adding some adderall back in as a booster figuring maybe the two worked well in conjunction together. i had heard this before, but i had also heard that the dex was the medicine that made you get up and do things. so, now i'm stuck. well, now i just feel overmedicated am having tingling arms, hands, feet, and head. which means either way, i have to pick one or the other. okay, to the point.... i feel that taking the two together cancel the benefits of the other out. so, i probably shouldn't do that. I don't know why the dex is making me feel bad by itself. I want to pick a med and stay with it. has anyone had the experience of taking dex ir and feeling tired and like they can't move? and then does it improve to be the great drug i hear people rave about after awhile? how long? i know you are not supposed to feel the drug working, but i at least want to not feel terrible and adderall did provide some mood enhancement. i was more talkative and able to function in my brain. i just haven't had the, "hey i'm gonna go do the laundry now" feeling that i expected. anyone that can answer any of my rambling questions? any similar experiences? anyone can tell me what i may be doing wrong? i'm very upset about this because it stops you in your tracks when yo ucan't think or function.
THANKS!!!!!!
Old 10-29-09, 05:56 PM

Re: Started Dex and feel tired, hazy can't function. HELP!!!

P.S the adderall is the sandoz generic and the dex is the barr..
Old 10-29-09, 09:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, you'd want to consult your doctor, but I would speculate that you may be taking too high a dosage.

While there are general "equivalances" amongst different meds, they don't always transfer 100%, so most doctors agree that it is prudent to begin at a low (usually the lowest) dose, even if the patient has a "high tolerance" or has been taking a different medication. Being tired/drained/foggy is frequently the effect of too much medication, and taking a lower dose often makes all the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
GimmeShelter (10-31-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-09, 10:11 PM

thanks for your reply. i know you are correct. but, i also know i will have to go on a brief drug holiday in order to let my body release all the medicine. that does not sound fun. and there never seems to be a right time. but, i have an appt. with my doc in a week and i will ask him the best way to do this. i have also advised the pharmacy to give me dextrostat made by a different company next time. so i'm thinking that's the plan as for now. but, no matter what, i build tolerance quickly so this is something that i might have to live with with any medication.
thanks for your time and advice...

any more stories or advice from anyone who has had a similar experience is welcome to chime in
Old 10-30-09, 09:02 AM

Mike_GC is on a distinguished road

Hey man, I'm not in a position to give advice i'm searching for answers as i'm a newbie with Dex too & new to ADHD. But the first couple of weeks Dex worked great for me, gave me energy and focus, (yes I did the dishes & laundry). I did one day take twice as much as the other days and it made me feel a bit stoned and tired, like heavy in the head. I was only taking 5-7.5 mg a day to begin with. trying to keep it lowest possible.

Bumped it eariler in the week to 20mg and had some racing brain side effects probably from mixing with something else my personal trainer gave me so i've dropped all dex for now, clear it out for 5-7 days then i'll start again give it another shot.
Old 10-30-09, 03:22 PM

thanks for your reply. i know i am going to have to completely stop taking any stimulants for at least a couple of days. I am on the short acting so they should be out of my system by then. then i will try again. in my orginal post i said that i hadn't felt anything but tired, etc.. on the dex so i started taking adderall as a booster. i think that's where i messed up. i had heard (and had permission from my doctor) that sometimes you can take one use the other as a booster between doses. well, that is my problem. i got overstimulated and now i don't know which medicine it is. i am going to try to keep my dosage as low as possible today as i've heard so many warnings about stopping larger dose without tapering down. i have an appt. with my doctor in a week. he is really smart when it comes to stimulants. he'll help me get this all figured out. good luck to you! and thanks....
Old 10-31-09, 12:32 AM

SilentCat will become famous soon enough
NON-Teva/Barr IR Dex Options? (Only one, and it's liquid -- "ProCentra")

Nugent, in post #4 you mention having asked your pharmacy to dispense a "dextrostat" product manufactured by some company other than Barr (a.k.a. Teva -- which now owns Barr):

Your pharmacy should have responded by informing you of the following. (Perhaps the technician, customer service rep. or pharmacist with whom you spoke simply didn't know, or didn't remember offhand.)
But when the time comes, I'm sure they'll corroborate the following -- unless they've simply forgotten your request altogether, by that point:

If your intention is to continue with an IR (immediate release) dex product, then for most practical purposes, Teva/Barr is the only available "player" (i.e., manufacturer). No other pharmaceutical company makes an IR dex tablet for the U.S. "market" (the industry's kind, sensitive, thoughtful term for medical patients.) T
he only other IR dex product in the U.S. is a largely unknown liquid called ProCentra, manufactured by tiny, Atlanta-based Tiber Laboratories. (Intended for pediatric use, liquid ProCentra is likely impractical for maintenance use by most working adults, given the need to self-administer multiple doses each day, more or less daily.)

(Teva/Barr 5 mg.)
http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?...lets&pageId=76

(Teva/Barr 10 mg.)
http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?...lets&pageId=76

(ProCentra)
http://www.procentraadhd.com/

Brand-name Dexedrine IR is still available in Canada -- distributed by Paladin Labs, under a three-year license from GSK (announced in late November, 2008.)

But U.S. federal law prohibits international importing of controlled substances by patients (and nearly everyone else, too):

http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInforma.../ucm148751.htm

952. Importation of controlled substances.
  • (a) Controlled substances in schedule I or II and narcotic drugs in schedule III, IV, or V; exceptions
It shall be unlawful to import into the customs territory of the United States from any place outside thereof (but within the United States), or to import into the United States from any place outside thereof, any controlled substance in schedule I or II of subchapter I of this chapter, or any narcotic drug in schedule III, IV, or V of subchapter I of this chapter, except that -
  • (1) such amounts of crude opium, poppy straw, concentrate of poppy straw, and coca leaves as the Attorney General finds to be necessary to provide for medical, scientific, or other legitimate purposes, and
  • (2) such amounts of any controlled substance in schedule I or II or any narcotic drug in schedule III, IV, or V that the Attorney General finds to be necessary to provide for the medical, scientific, or other legitimate needs of the United States -
    • (A) during an emergency in which domestic supplies of such substance or drug are found by the Attorney General to be inadequate,
    • (B) in any case in which the Attorney General finds that competition among domestic manufacturers of the controlled substance is inadequate and will not be rendered adequate by the registration of additional manufacturers under section 823 of this title, or
    • (C) in any case in which the Attorney General finds that such controlled substance is in limited quantities exclusively for scientific, analytical, or research uses, may be so imported under such regulations as the Attorney General shall prescribe. No crude opium may be so imported for the purpose of manufacturing heroin or smoking opium."
The only exceptions to the U.S. federal ban on international imports are made for entities properly registered with and authorized by, the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

And even then -- for properly authorized importers... Each shipment still requires its own separate application to (and approval by) the DEA:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21...12/1312_13.htm

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/im...doc/index.html

So as of this writing, the only dextroamphetamine IR products legally available in the United States are Teva (Barr) 5mg / 10mg generic tablets, and Tiber's ProCentra liquid.

Regards,
--SilentCat

Clarke corrected him: "Chief Geek... Geeks get it done. Nerds don't."

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research."
A. Einstein
Old 10-31-09, 05:05 PM

thanks for all the info Silent Cat. Actually my pharmacist has some other brand that he has set aside for my doctor's patients. but, it would be useless for me to try them as they only have 300 left. and what if they worked??? i'm not sure what the generic brand name was but he knows not to give me anything teva/barr. i have had too many let downs. so, i am going to my doc on thursday and discussing what the next step is. i have started not adding any adderall boosters (with the dex) and am just taking the adderall. i will do this for a couple of days, take two days off, and try the same thing with the dex. i really messed up taking them both in the same day. i had heard that many people have had success with this, but not me! i was an overmedicated zombie who didn't know which medicine was the culprit. i am keeping a daily journal now of when, and what dose i take of each med to share with my doc. i've also noted side effects and crashes, etc.. as well as if i am simply just not responding at all. this will help him to better treat my add with the correct medication and dose. oh well, you live and learn. 1/2 hour till my next adderall i really appreciate your feedback and the time it took to respond. this is a very confusing disorder (add) and trying to find the right medication is very hard. each person is very different. i am so envious of the people who start at the lowest dose of the first med they try and love it. some even stay at that for years with minimal dosage increase. i am not one of those people! thanks again.....