ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-18, 10:24 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,052 Times in 7,497 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Okay Sweets (Sarah)...help!

---I know this belongs in the 'sleep' part of the forums, but that part of the forum is completely dead. I understand if it needs to be moved though.---

Okay Sweets...I know you've posted about this many times...but I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind doing so one more time.
Outlining what you did to finally get your sleep under control.
I hope this doesn't put a ton of pressure on you. And if you can't get it done...there's no need for an explanation! No bad feelings. It also doesn't have to be long or detailed...just a quick list or something would work.

I think I get the gist of most of what you did. Pretty much you set both a specific time to go to bed, and a time to get up...and you were very strict with yourself with following those times.

What else was involved? Did you have any rules about stuff like not eating a certain number of hours before going to bed? How many hours a night were you aiming at sleeping? Did you turn off all your electronics (computer, tv, phone) like an hour before bed? What did you do if you woke up before the set time? Just lay in bed?
Anything else you can think of?

I'm making some huge strides in my life here, and I fully plan on being employed here within the next 3 months...I feel like I'm ready (and in SERIOUS need!) to start tackling my sleep issues. It's just no fun walking around like a zombie all day!

Thanks for any info you can give me Sweets. I know you've exhaustively already posted all this stuff for me in the past, so I feel kinda like a jerk having to ask again.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 07-24-18, 10:31 AM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Okay Sweets (Sarah)...help!

Okay, so I've started and things are working out so far.
But it's only been 3 days...so it's all about digging in now and sticking with it. It's so easy for most of us to start things...but so hard to hold on.

I've been going to bed and midnight, and getting up at 8.

I also turn off/don't touch all of my electronics at 11...1 hour before bed. This includes all games, my tv and my phone. It's actually been kinda nice!

A few things...
I get SUPER tired in the evenings. 7 or 8 pm, as my adderall is wearing down...it gets super hard to stay awake. But I'm really trying hard to make myself stay up. I think it's important to be really strict about going to bed and getting up at the same time every day.

All 3 nights so far, I wake up twice. Both times I feel ready to go! lol I've been waking up right at about 4am needing to use the bathroom...and by the time I go and come back to bed, I feel the urge to stay up and play on my computer or phone. It's what I've done MANY times in the past. But nope! I absolutely will not let myself. 3 or 4 hours just is not enough sleep! No wonder I feel miserably tired all the time >.<'
I also wake up right around 6am and feel ready to go. But again, I refuse to do so. I usually sit up in bed and rock for awhile...then lay back down and catch a bit more sleep.
Like I said, it's important to get up at the same time each day...so I wont let myself get up early.

Also it seems that my nightmares/yelling out in my sleep/talking/etc are at their worse just for the first 30 minutes of falling asleep. If I can get past them without fully waking up and staying up...I actually seem to get some really restful sleep.
This may change overtime...who knows really.

But yeah...it's way too early to know how well this is going to work out for me...and it's going to be hard to stick with...
But at least I've started.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 07-24-18, 12:01 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,257 Times in 14,931 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from vacation, will reply soon...

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-24-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-18, 02:33 PM

Oh I hope you had a great camping trip!!

Were the bugs (masquittos) bad where you were? I always love getting up into the mountains...until I get there and remember how horrible the nasty itchy bugs are!!! >:-( lol

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 07-26-18, 10:30 AM

5 nights into my bed @ 12, up @ 8...and it's going great! I continue to wake up right at around 4am still needing to use the bathroom and feeling like I want to stay up. I wonder if that'll ever go away.
But I didn't have any violent dreams the night before last...no waking up yelling or talking or anything. And last night either. I drifted off to sleep and it was pure rest!

My pill lady also prescribed me something for the nightmares. I didn't even know they made pills that could help with that! I'll pick them up later today and see if those help as well.

I know it's too early to really know how things are going to turn out...but so far so good, and I REALLY think my life will improve once I've tackled my sleeping issues once and for all.
I'm sick of the games! Sick of not being able to physically keep my eye lids up and open. Sick of dropping my poor phone because I keep passing out uncontrollably.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 07-26-18, 11:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
---I know this belongs in the 'sleep' part of the forums, but that part of the forum is completely dead. I understand if it needs to be moved though.---

Okay Sweets...I know you've posted about this many times...but I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind doing so one more time.
Outlining what you did to finally get your sleep under control.
I hope this doesn't put a ton of pressure on you. And if you can't get it done...there's no need for an explanation! No bad feelings. It also doesn't have to be long or detailed...just a quick list or something would work.
Hey there honey..ok..the first thing I did was no caffeine after 3. Not that caffeine necessarily bothered me but its good measure to avoid. I take 3 mg of melatonin. NO MORE. Higher amounts do not induce quality sleep better or faster..it just makes you more groggy in the morning. I take chelated magnesium only..the other kinds like sterates arent so geared towards relaxation and sleep. I watch tv until I go up to bed but the last hour (from about 9-10) I do not watch anything too intense. Right now we are stuck on Goliath from Amazon prime but its very stimulating. I know I should tell you that you should put away the phone but I read my books on my phone so I read about 15 minutes in bed. NO TV. Its bad for sleep quality. I go to bed in the same window of time (10-12) and wake up in the same window of time(4-6). Now here's the nagging part. I settled on that amount of sleep because of my sleep study. To bore you... we have brain waves and alpha ones are associated with more brain activity and wakefulness... delta is deep sleep. What the sleep study found is that when I am in what should be a deep sleep with delta waves, my brain also "gives off" alpha waves..basically while at rest my mind is still meandering enough to interrupt the deep sleep stages. This is often associated with people who naturally need less sleep. (yes those people exist). The standard 7-8 hours is drummed into our heads but through the sleep study the doctor told me.. well you know how old people seem to wake up super early and want to go to bed at like 9? As we age we need less sleep. So old sweets' sleep cycle is more along the lines of that.

I really truly require less sleep. In fact more makes me groggy. NO NAPPING. I do not care if you do jumping jacks to keep yourself from lying down. Do not do it. That screws you up. Stay out of the bed until you are ready to go to sleep. While implementing this program if you find you have laid in bed for an hour and cant sleep, get up and change locations. Sometimes we can trick our bodies by going to lay on the couch or in the recliner. But only do this if you are awake and cant fall asleep in bed. You may have to go back and forth but try it. Warm milk helps, I don't know why. Part of it is because it coats the stomach..part is something else. I pour a coffee mug of milk with two cap fulls of vanilla and 1/2-1 tsp of sugar or sweetener. Microwave a minute or so.

Set your alarm, do not wing it. If you are awake until midnight for four nights get up anyway...you are resetting that circadium rhythm. Be vigilant and rigid with this schedule and stick with it. It doesnt happen overnight. Way back when I was overweight and not an alcoholic I used to be on benzos and sleep meds. My husband would practically have to put me to bed. I was dopey and stumbly. It was not a long term solution for me. And I cant live like that as an alcoholic in recovery. And your window doesnt have to be my window. You may find that your windows are 11-1 and 6-8 or whatever. Just pick something and try and stick with it. I will continue to pester you about having a sleep study. I think you should be checked for sleep apnea and narcolepsy as well as latent sleep phase syndrome.
Oh and if my stomach growls I listen and have a small snack.
F**k not eating after a certain point, thats just stupid imo.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (07-26-18), psychopathetic (07-28-18)
Old 07-26-18, 11:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Oh I hope you had a great camping trip!!

Were the bugs (masquittos) bad where you were? I always love getting up into the mountains...until I get there and remember how horrible the nasty itchy bugs are!!! >:-( lol
no bugs other than moths it was great.

I carried a watermelon?
psychopathetic (07-28-18)
Old 07-27-18, 04:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Let me know if what I shared is what you were looking for .

I carried a watermelon?
psychopathetic (07-28-18)
Old 07-28-18, 02:53 PM

Thank you so much Sweets, this is just what I was looking for!

I like that you give yourself a "window of time" to go to bed and get up. I'm going to start using that...because dang...I was SO tired last night that I think I would've made myself physically ill if I hadn't of gone to bed at 10 instead of 12. Omg I was tired!
I'm going to start using that myself. So from here on I'll be going to bed from 10-12, and getting up between 7 and 8.

I'm also not using any sleeping aids (like the melatonin you suggested) atm as I'm just not needing them so far. But I am glad you told me not to take any more than 3mg of melatonin...because I had no idea. I use to take 20mg of it, but I'm not even sure why I was taking so much of the stuff. I had almost no education about the stuff and wasn't aware that a small dose would do much. I'll give a small dose a try if ever I use it again.

I'm aiming for 8 hours of sleep per night for now...when/if I ever get that study done I've been talking about getting done here for the past 100 years (lol /sigh), I'll ask them for suggestions...but for now I'm aiming for 7-8.

That no napping thing is going to be tough though! I get so sleepy in the early evening. I'm not use to being up all morning and day like this lol. Plus coming down from my daily adderall...
I hope this extreme sleepiness in the evening passes in time. It's no fun! I do suspect though that if I were being more active...that'd help everything as well.

I am however liking the no electronics for an hour before bed though. Including the tv. And it's making a big difference for me I think. I'm drifting off to sleep a lot quicker.

I'm only a week into this so far...and already my sleep is getting better, i'm having less nightmares and I'm not tossing and turning and waking myself up as much through the night...and I'm not nearly as groggy all day this past week. It's not till the darned evenings when I start to get super tired (did this happen to you at first? Does it pass in time?).
Now the tough part...
Sticking with it.

...And I do have sleep apnea. And I should be on a machine for it...they tried to put me on one years ago, but I was very close minded to it and didn't give it a proper chance. I just wasn't ready or prepared for it at the time (I think I am now...especially knowing now what the machine is and what to expect).
And I do have all the symptoms of narcolepsy sometimes, but I don't think I'm narcoleptic...I just think I get so behind in my sleep that I get what I've started to call Sleep Deprivation Induced Narcolepsy. The difference being that my symptoms of Narcolepsy leave once I start getting proper sleep. They're not permanent.

Anyhow, thanks for all the great input!
I'm glad that you found a way to gain control of your sleep issues. Gives me hope that I can too!
I'm fairy convinced that if I could really get my sleep sorted out...I'd soar in life!

(((((((Sweets)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (07-28-18)
Old 07-29-18, 10:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

Sleep never easy for us ADHD suffer s ...but I've found if you fast ie food an have good food as you can plus cut down on sweet s e numbers an increase vitamins your sleep better
psychopathetic (07-30-18)
Old 07-30-18, 06:17 PM

I'm not so sure about that no nap thing Sweets!

Man, 5 or 6 pm comes around and I'm so tired that I'm having to fight HARD to keep my eyes open. I'm completely unfunctional during those times. I'm lucky have no commitments during those times. No way I could drive either.

I don't know...maybe it'll pass, this extreme drowsyness in the evenings...

But I really think I'm going to start trying to take a nap as needed at like 3 or 4. Like 45-60 minutes or so. See how it goes.

As it is now, I either give myself permission to fall asleep for a bit and don't fight it...or else I fight it like I did yesterday to the point where I just blacked out in pure exhaustion. I couldn't do it! I got up and tried moving around, but it did nothing. Just walking was dangerous haha. Seriously, I couldn't hardly hold myself up.
I sat down and was watching tv. I blinked, and when I opened my eyes the show I was watching was ending!! 30 minutes had passed and I didn't even know I went to sleep. It literally felt like a blink. 1 second had passed.

But anyhow, I think I'm going to let this thread pass...if/when I have more to say about this process, i'll create a new thread on it.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 08-15-18, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

Thank you guys for the interesting information. I may just have to try these things to help with my sleep.

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,