ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-19, 02:35 AM

spidergirl is on a distinguished road
Hi! New user, needing support

Hi everyone, new user here.

I was evaluated with ADHD (Inattentive type) early this summer. It explained a lot. I never did that well in school, even though my teachers all thought I was brilliant. I have an incredibly hard time keeping up with regular life stuff. I've always been way messier than other girls. Even though I have a lot of ideas for projects, none of them seem to get off the ground. I'm learning now that's normal for us, and normal for girls to never be diagnosed until later in life.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of treatment works for me. It's been hard. I've tried a few different medications so far, but none of them have felt good. I went on Wellbutrin, first -- I was interested in stimulants but didn't want to push for them, since I didn't want my psych to think I was just chasing pills. It really, really helped with my focus once I went up to 300mg. But, it made me nauseous, angry, and my emotions felt flat. I don't like the idea of being on antidepressants right now; I just want to focus! I don't need my feelings messed with!!

Next was Adderall. I stayed on it for a few months, but the anxiety never went away. I had a constant pit in my stomach for hours on end. Some days it was so bad I felt like I couldn't move. Then, when it wore off, I crashed hard. Even more anxiety, shaking, stuttering... I would be shut down for at least an hour.

I'm on Vyvanse now. It's weird. Sometimes it doesn't feel like much, sometimes it feels super harsh. It feels... fragile. Like, I need to eat perfectly, sleep perfectly, get the exact right amount of exercise, basically take absolute perfect care of myself with no margin for error. And if I don't, I get so jittery I can barely do anything.

I had a really, really bad day with my medication today. Almost right after I took it, I had a turbo anxiety spike. I couldn't shake the feeling until about 9 hours later, about when my meds wear off. I've barely eaten today. I had friends over, but I felt so withdrawn I didn't really enjoy it. My body felt terrible in ways I can't quite describe... I felt checked out, but like my insides were vibrating. It sucks. I feel like a slave to my medication.

I am so frustrated. I'm starting to think that I may never find a medication that works for me. What if my body just isn't made for these drugs? What if I never get it together? What if I just coast through life at 50%... forever?

Thanks for reading. I really need to know that I'm not alone right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spidergirl For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (01-10-19), Rebelyell (01-06-19)
Old 01-06-19, 07:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,762 Times in 15,185 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi! New user, needing support

Is it possible that you have an undiagnosed anxiety disorder?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-06-19)
Old 01-06-19, 02:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,109 Times in 5,957 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums!!! Reason why I can't take stikulsnts because of ts n anxiety disorder
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-19, 02:23 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,029 Times in 13,605 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 01-07-19, 08:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,762 Times in 15,185 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Also have you considered dexedrine. Its just plain amphetamine. Adderall contains levoamphetamine which causes excess PNS stimulation and can exacerbate anxiety. Vyvanse is cleaved into Lixamphetamine(sp) and it can take a few hours to get going. Alot of people who have trouble with both of those have good luck with dexedrine.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-10-19, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

There's still plenty to gain apart from pills, you can get the remaining 50% of your life back, % after %.

Analyze your problems and then start improving by a tiny little fraction, ask a friend for support if you can't do it yourself. Every time you set humble a goal, an anxiety monster dies somwhere.
Old 01-10-19, 03:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a splendid one to beholdDanielGM1970 is a splendid one to beholdDanielGM1970 is a splendid one to beholdDanielGM1970 is a splendid one to beholdDanielGM1970 is a splendid one to beholdDanielGM1970 is a splendid one to beholdDanielGM1970 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
Hi everyone, new user here.

I was evaluated with ADHD (Inattentive type) early this summer. It explained a lot. I never did that well in school, even though my teachers all thought I was brilliant. I have an incredibly hard time keeping up with regular life stuff. I've always been way messier than other girls. Even though I have a lot of ideas for projects, none of them seem to get off the ground. I'm learning now that's normal for us, and normal for girls to never be diagnosed until later in life.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of treatment works for me. It's been hard. I've tried a few different medications so far, but none of them have felt good. I went on Wellbutrin, first -- I was interested in stimulants but didn't want to push for them, since I didn't want my psych to think I was just chasing pills. It really, really helped with my focus once I went up to 300mg. But, it made me nauseous, angry, and my emotions felt flat. I don't like the idea of being on antidepressants right now; I just want to focus! I don't need my feelings messed with!!

Next was Adderall. I stayed on it for a few months, but the anxiety never went away. I had a constant pit in my stomach for hours on end. Some days it was so bad I felt like I couldn't move. Then, when it wore off, I crashed hard. Even more anxiety, shaking, stuttering... I would be shut down for at least an hour.

I'm on Vyvanse now. It's weird. Sometimes it doesn't feel like much, sometimes it feels super harsh. It feels... fragile. Like, I need to eat perfectly, sleep perfectly, get the exact right amount of exercise, basically take absolute perfect care of myself with no margin for error. And if I don't, I get so jittery I can barely do anything.

I had a really, really bad day with my medication today. Almost right after I took it, I had a turbo anxiety spike. I couldn't shake the feeling until about 9 hours later, about when my meds wear off. I've barely eaten today. I had friends over, but I felt so withdrawn I didn't really enjoy it. My body felt terrible in ways I can't quite describe... I felt checked out, but like my insides were vibrating. It sucks. I feel like a slave to my medication.

I am so frustrated. I'm starting to think that I may never find a medication that works for me. What if my body just isn't made for these drugs? What if I never get it together? What if I just coast through life at 50%... forever?

Thanks for reading. I really need to know that I'm not alone right now.
Hi, welcome.

Yeah, I struggle with the Vyvanse and the anxiety too, but I'm such a mess off of it that I deal with the anxiety symptoms.

Let me know if you need anything or someone to talk to.

Regards,
Daniel

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.